for those who think all v30 sound the same! (2)

your personal favorite?

Votes: 5 71.4%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
Most of you know already that all 4 speakers in a 4x12 cab can sound quite different....
here are some clips to show you how significant this difference actually is!

The sound is not the best and a bit harsh etc...that's because I put the sm57 dead-center so I can be sure to recreate the same position on all speakers.

mic was an sm57 cab was my Engl 4x12 pro vintage 30.

Speaker1
Speaker2
Speaker3
Speaker4

I know all those clips sound not really good for the given reasons....but what speaker do you prefer?

I think I like 4 the best; 1 and 2 are much harsher; but I'll have a listen on my monitors tomorrow; listening on laptop speakers right now!
which do you prefer?

- Rob

Can't tell for sure until I hear it in a mix...but I think I prefer "1" because I like harsh sounding guitars. I would probably blend it with one of the others though.

hmm i deffo think 1 and 2 are better raw tones, i prefer that grit to my sound. 3, especially 4, dont seem to have as much character deffo lacks on the top end and hi mids, just a tad 'lifeless', but yeah 1 or 2 maybe blended with 4 wud sound good

Is the ENGL cab straight or slanted btw?

Bedroom wise I like #2 myself. #1 seems to have a bit more 2-4Khz where #2 seems to have more low mid depth, more potatoes if you will. Then their is #3 and #4. They seem a little more dull to me. 4 seems the most dead. But in the mix #1 may cut more. Who knows maybe use #1 for solos and #2 for rhythms. Just a thought. Thanks for the idea, now I am going to do the same for my 4X12 tonight!

Bedroom wise I like #2 myself. #1 seems to have a bit more 2-4Khz where #2 seems to have more low mid depth, more potatoes if you will. Then their is #3 and #4. They seem a little more dull to me. 4 seems the most dead. But in the mix #1 may cut more. Who knows maybe use #1 for solos and #2 for rhythms. Just a thought. Thanks for the idea, now I am going to do the same for my 4X12 tonight!

thanks. post the results!

One is number one. It is quite bright but it has the least of that nasty high resonance (don't know if it's the correct word, I'm referring to those narrow spikes in the highs). Number two and four are, IMO, worst. Number three is nice.

pretty much all the clips i posted here were recorded thru the speaker no 1.
I like that the best, followed by no 3 (like SW said).
the cab is slanted 1+2 are bottom and 3+4 the top-speakers