For those who want to become shred maniacs

Not being an exceptional guitarist myself, I like reading the advice of others on how to improve my playing. However, I find playing technique much easier to learn than theory at the moment and I'd certainly appreciate it if you put up some things on musical theory, and applying that when playing the guitar

Damn server restrictions...I'll have to check out that clip when I get home Dado. I can't wait to hear it!
Skitz, for Theory I'm not too knowledgeable! I don't know crap really! I just know sounds, and sounds that I like, and I know how to make these sounds. I'm completely an ear player. So I won't be able to tell you, "oh, this is what you can play over a Db 4 Sus chord" I don't even know what the hell that means! :D
But maybe some of these other guys could shed some light on that kind of stuff.

CrimsonForever said:
Excellent lessons dude!

Those will really help me improve my right hand technique, (always been more comfortable playing legato) as well as my arpeggiating.

Thanks!

Yeah.. Same here, if I could make a suggestion though..

I am having a pretty hard time with my left hand and arpeggios..

[suggestion]

Maybe you, or someone else could write some more about left hand-technique what arpeggios concern..?

[/suggestion]

SyX-Fan said:
Yeah.. Same here, if I could make a suggestion though..

I am having a pretty hard time with my left hand and arpeggios..

[suggestion]

Maybe you, or someone else could write some more about left hand-technique what arpeggios concern..?

[/suggestion]

Well, what technique to play arpeggios with? I assume you mean sweeping (What most people use to play arps with, if you meant some other technique you can correct me)...well, the best advice I can give is to make sure that you keep the strings muted (right hand mutes at the bridge, this will reduce strings ringing out against each other) and also keep the notes seperate with your left hand, don't hold down "chord" shapes so to speak, also make sure (as with any technique) that you are using efficient technique, meaning, don't move your hands more than you need to and keep them as relaxed as possible. Of course, the only thing thats gonna make you a better sweeper is countless hours of practice ;)

Yngvai X said:
Well, what technique to play arpeggios with? I assume you mean sweeping (What most people use to play arps with, if you meant some other technique you can correct me)...well, the best advice I can give is to make sure that you keep the strings muted (right hand mutes at the bridge, this will reduce strings ringing out against each other) and also keep the notes seperate with your left hand, don't hold down "chord" shapes so to speak, also make sure (as with any technique) that you are using efficient technique, meaning, don't move your hands more than you need to and keep them as relaxed as possible. Of course, the only thing thats gonna make you a better sweeper is countless hours of practice ;)

hmmm...it would be hard for me to explain my muting technique for sweeping. I don't really use the right hand for it, unless I really want it to sound ultra-staccato. I sweep more like Friedman I guess, my right hand is up far from the strings. I guess I kind of mute with the left hand as I go. Making sure one finger isn't on a given string unless I am hitting a note on that string. It is kind of tough to explain, but I don't really mute with the right hand at all on a sweep.

Question for muting though, since you brought it up! :)
On the string-skip tapping stuff, I find it difficult to keep a string from "sproinging" after I leave it and move to another string. Of course, you could use a dampner and that would take care of it, but I wonder what Romeo does. I doesn't really look like he mutes with his right hand. Hard to see though. any ideas? I can take the conversations from this thread and put em on the site to so people can come back to it for reference.

Dado-I'm hyped up about your playing now! :D I wanna hear it!
could you perhaps put it in a zip file?

Oh, BTW the samples of me playing on my site are pretty crappy, they were recorded with the cheap mic that comes with your computer, cheap guitars and one take and no metronome or anything, so they are really sloppy, very old too. Please don't judge based on that. :D

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Dado-I'm hyped up about your playing now! :D I wanna hear it!
could you perhaps put it in a zip file?
Man, I suck, there's really not much to hear. What's wrong with your server down there anyway? :D
I can put it in a zip file but this site I'm on does not host zip files.
Maybe if I e-mail them to you?

the_satanic_rabbit said:
hmmm...it would be hard for me to explain my muting technique for sweeping. I don't really use the right hand for it, unless I really want it to sound ultra-staccato. I sweep more like Friedman I guess, my right hand is up far from the strings. I guess I kind of mute with the left hand as I go. Making sure one finger isn't on a given string unless I am hitting a note on that string. It is kind of tough to explain, but I don't really mute with the right hand at all on a sweep.

Question for muting though, since you brought it up! :)
On the string-skip tapping stuff, I find it difficult to keep a string from "sproinging" after I leave it and move to another string. Of course, you could use a dampner and that would take care of it, but I wonder what Romeo does. I doesn't really look like he mutes with his right hand. Hard to see though. any ideas? I can take the conversations from this thread and put em on the site to so people can come back to it for reference.

Well, for the string skipping tapping stuff I mute with the fingers Im not using on my right hand when I tap with 1 finger...when I tap with two....well...I just try to be very careful about not being sloppy ;) a BIG key for tapping and legato is to have loose strings and low action.

Dado-x said:
Did you get my email, Steve?
Yes I did! Thanks Supak! :D And thanks for letting the whole world know my real name! :D

Yngvai, how do you mute with the other fingers on the way up to the smaller strings, I use my index finger to tap, so I would have to twist my hand around or something. On the way down, it would make sense. I guess I should just try to be extra careful like you said you do with the multi-finger stuff. I think my shitty pickups make it sound like crap too sometimes. Probably because I have to hit the string too hard to get a sound out of it, you know? I think I am going to just twist my right hand upside down and play just like Friedman. :Spin: