For those whould built DIY cabs

jangoux

May 9, 2006
I am about to build my cab as here where I live, GOOD 2x12 cabs are rare and expensive, and i dont have the money to buy a 4x12 and change the speakers to Celestions or Eminences. So, i think i'll just clone any oversized 2x12 cab and see what happens...

My current cab is very small, smaller than a Marshall 1936, and it just sounds small and very middy.

So, i have a few questions...

1) some say plywood is better, some say mdf is better....I cant get birch plywood here, just regular plywood, and i am sure i will do the structure of the cab with the. But how about the baffle ? Would it sound better if I used some time of wood, like cedar or mahogany instead of plywood ? Btw, the plywood i;ll be using is 20mm plywood.

2) I read somewhere that I shouldnt use nails when building cabs, just glue ...but it doesnt make much sense to me. What's the right way to hold the pieces together ?

3) Do you guys use any kind of sound absorving material inside the amp ?

My amp wont be moved (just used on th studio, so weight is not really a problem...

Ivan

I'd use ply all around, personally...And I'd get the best quality I could find.

AFAIK, most cabs are glued, and some of the nicer ones will have finger joints...At least I think some still do. The only screws I know of are for the back panel and hardware.

One more question :

How does 2 speakers sound in a 4x12 ? Since the Bogner oversized is almost as big as a 4x12, i also have the option of building a 4x12, but only if it sounds good with just two speakers...the other two i'd buy later when i have the money

i think you'll need to seperate the 2 speakers from the other 2 speaks(which are not there). because you maybe run in trouble with the total volumen of the cab in liters. the 4x12 are messured for 4 speakers and have the volume for 4 speakers, not for 2. maybe the bass will sound like crap because the bassfrequencies need the volumen.

but maybe it'll work, you have to calculate this on the manufactures messurings

I want to copy the build of the Marshall 1960 vintage B cab. I have one here, but no clue where to star. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what are you guys using to cover your cabs once they're built?

I'm in the process of building a cab right now, use a circular saw with a straight edge fence to rip your 4x8 peice of wood. But first PLAN PLAN PLAN! Draw each piece of wood and it's size, then draw how you are going to cut the wood, in other words how your going to cut up the board and turn it into a cab.

Plywood would be best, and some say it's the baffle board that affects the tone the most. If I get a chance I'll post some pics of my progress.