Forearm Wrist Curls/Reverse Curls

Fox Mulder

The Truth Is Out There
Jan 22, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I was wondering if doing forearm wrist curls and reverse curls (with loads of stretching of course) would improve my guitar playing. Some of my peeps told me it'd make my fingers tense. I wanna know how true that is.

Cheers!

I stopped doing them when I started playing guitar a couple of years ago.
If you play guitar a lot and do forearm isolation stuff you are putting a lot of stress on your wrist.

I'd say if you're already at a pretty decent level of playing then it wont affect you as much, but if (like me) you're still trying to develop good technique then it might cause issues.
I know that I can't play for very long after I've been doing deadlifts, or anything else that requires a lot of grip work.

Probably should be in off topic lol. Was wondering why the hell a lifting a related thread was in the main forum.

Anyway, people that lift get most of their forearm work from doing deadlifts, bent over rows, weighted chinups/pullups and stuff. Not like you'd be making forearm extensors exercises a big part of your workout. Just a few sets twice per week would be enough if you're already doing the big compound pulling movements.

As for the actual guitar playing, while it's great to have a stronger grip strength and forearm strength, it's unlikely to contribute to much more than a very slight positive effect on your playing. Just focus on proper practice.
Many guitarists don't look like they've lifted weights ever in their life and have no problem with gripping the strings during bends and vibrato and stuff and it's simply because they put in the hours on the guitar.

For me at least hitting the gym has had only positive effects on my guitar playing.
I don't think it makes me a better player per se but it definitely makes it a bit easier and more enjoyable to play.
I highly recommend going to the gym if you can find the time for it.

nope

Petrucci.jpg

intro1.gif

I stopped doing them when I started playing guitar a couple of years ago.
If you play guitar a lot and do forearm isolation stuff you are putting a lot of stress on your wrist.

I'd say if you're already at a pretty decent level of playing then it wont affect you as much, but if (like me) you're still trying to develop good technique then it might cause issues.
I know that I can't play for very long after I've been doing deadlifts, or anything else that requires a lot of grip work.

Probably should be in off topic lol. Was wondering why the hell a lifting a related thread was in the main forum.

Anyway, people that lift get most of their forearm work from doing deadlifts, bent over rows, weighted chinups/pullups and stuff. Not like you'd be making forearm extensors exercises a big part of your workout. Just a few sets twice per week would be enough if you're already doing the big compound pulling movements.

As for the actual guitar playing, while it's great to have a stronger grip strength and forearm strength, it's unlikely to contribute to much more than a very slight positive effect on your playing. Just focus on proper practice.
Many guitarists don't look like they've lifted weights ever in their life and have no problem with gripping the strings during bends and vibrato and stuff and it's simply because they put in the hours on the guitar.

For me at least hitting the gym has had only positive effects on my guitar playing.
I don't think it makes me a better player per se but it definitely makes it a bit easier and more enjoyable to play.
I highly recommend going to the gym if you can find the time for it.

Cheers guys! Better blood flow is indeed the key to more efficient practice sessions ;)

Cheers guys! Better blood flow is indeed the key to more efficient practice sessions ;)

Could you specify that bloodflow for me please? :p

I found out doing some exercises like pushups helped my right hands endurance a little bit. But if I had invested the same amount of time into guitar practice it would have had the same effect plus helping my overall guitar skills.
So I don't do physical exercises for guitar playing. I do them for not getting fat and lazy. :Spin:

Going to the gym (doing a proper weight lifting routine, not half assed stuff like a few push ups and sit ups) improves your nervous system as well as your overall strength.
Blood flow to the muscles increases also.

Think about it. What is the medium that connects a solo in your head to the neck of the guitar?
The brain sends a signal thru your nervous system to your muscles and tells them to contract.
The better shape your nervous system and muscles are in, the better your tool for bringing your imaginary solo to life is.

The difference in my playing after hitting the gym regularly (doing a PROPER weight lifting routine) is not anything out of this world, but it makes it a bit easier to play stuff that requires stamina and I notice a slight improvement in my soloing.

I practice my playing for about 2 to 3 hours a day and I mostly play stuff that requires a lot of endurance. It simply becomes clear at a certain point that you'll just have to give your muscles and nerves a little different stimulus to chew on if you wish to keep on getting better at a faster rate. I don't think that for instance the basic run of the mill rock guitarist would see as much positive effects.

If you play an hour a day and just jerk around you will most definitely gain more by tweaking your playing routine rather than hitting the gym.
But if you are already playing several hours a day with a good routine you might as well lift and reap the benefits from that also.

Exercising is never a bad thing. At least you'll have more energy to play =) and you'll be a heck of a lot better at carrying your bands stuff.

alright late to the party but i thought id chime in because my experience seems to differ from you guys.

Now im not talking about going to gym in the absolute - exercise only has a positive effect on you and i dont see why someone shouldnt if they have time not injured etc.

BUT the main thread was about forearms exercises. As mentionned before these get their share of workout indirectly while doing some coumpound muscle movements. However i stopped doing isolated forearms training on top of it because it only had a negative effect on my playing.

I lost stamina. Id get a burning sensation right away and has to stop and rest between runs for instance. Muscle mass gives you power (while reducing endurance) but i dont feel like you need much power for playing guitar. I still do think like i said it has SO many benefits (for example the nervous system mentionned above) but these are not worth mentionning when it comes to guitar.. Putting the effort practising will yeild much better results.

However exercising has positive effects on your life in general so maybe other areas might improve like songwriting (because of the change, stress reduction, general well being etc) but i wouldnt say it is necessary for guitar; it is good for your well being in general (which is not bas either..)

My advice in one sentence:
Exercise properly, involve compound muscle movements in your routine (becareful with technique and form to avoid injuries) BUT avoid isolated forearms exercises for guitar playing or at least do it really rarely.

Progressive-resistance training.

Understand the concept, and the movements involved in playing guitar, and the answer should be clear.

Using those things trains your hand to think that you need strength and tension to perform. Guitarists who use them are much more prone to injury and the frequently have more problems with endurance, relaxation, and excessive finger motion.....all of these things lead to slower technical abilities as well as greater chances for injury