Forgotten Classic: Aeternus, Beyond the Wandering Moon

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Picked this up the other day, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Like much great art, Beyond the Wandering Moon defies easy categorization. Functioning simultaneously as death metal, black metal and ambient music, its genius lies in its organic structuralism. Riffs and subtle melodies emerge and evolve almost imperceptibly, each iteration bringing about subtle variations on a central theme (mimicking the processes of nature), opening a window into an infinite universe where light and darkness are eternally bound (and each merely a variation on the other). Fans of immersive art like Burzum, Demilich and Sort Vokter take note.

10/10

Most definitely. I went through their whole catalogue a couple months back. What do you guys prefer more, their earlier Blackened stuff or their later more Deathy style?

Jean-Pierre said:
Most definitely. I went through their whole catalogue a couple months back. What do you guys prefer more, their earlier Blackened stuff or their later more Deathy style?
The early stuff definitively. The newer stuff is pretty good, but it doesn't come close to Beyond The Wandering Moon or ...And So The Night Became.

I've had Beyond the Wandering Moon for quite some time. It never fails to move me. "Sworn Revenge" is one of their crowning achievements.

I was actually playing it right now, what a coincidence. Great albums, its an album for many moods.

I'm a fan of Aeternus since they appear. Great band :worship: I recommend all their albuns :kickass:

Yes, this is indeed a mandatory release. Seeing them live this Easter was an orgasmic experience, especially since they finished off with "Under The Eternal Blackened Sky". However, I still prefer "..And Then The Night Became". That record got me into extreme metal.

Didnt someone start a similar thread at the metal rules forum? Must be the same person.. anyways, I really like this album and all. Totally underrated and definately deserves more attention. I need to get my hands on '..And So The Night Became'.

Fuck I've gotta thank the thread creator here. I got Beyond the Wandering Moon last week and it has been fucking amazing me more and more with each listen. This is a masterpeice. I've been particularly in love with "Sentinels of Darkness", but the whole thing... it's just brilliant.