P-Keisari

New Metal Member
Feb 3, 2016
Finland
Hi! I'm not that familiar with those free amp simulators, but I've heard, that there are couple of some really nice ones out there. Only one that I'm familiar with is the Poulin LeGion, which sounds rather nice IF you have a decent cabinet simulator, which I haven't been able to find. Every free cabinet simulator / impulse loader that I've tried has not been working that well. Everybody seems to praise the Poulin LeCab 2, but on my Cubase it's mute. LeCab 1 made my Cubase crash and so did several other cab sims too but LC2 is just plain mute. Doin' nothin'. And I'm not the only one with that same problem, I've learned. So I'm asking you guys: is there really any free cabinet simulators out there that actually work? I'm running Cubase 5.1 with 64 bit Windows 7. Might the fact, that my Cubase is actually pretty old be the issue here? It's like one out of ten free VST plugins that actually work on my Cubase anyway.

Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that about 80% of the times when the free VSTs are not working, the problem is that the plugins do not appear in the plugin list and when I try to refresh the list (Devices / Plug-in information / Update Plug-in information or just Update) it crashes the whole damn thing. That's the most usual case, not every time though.

Last edited:
NadIR is the one that made it crash several times. I don't know if Ignite Amps has some more stable release available now, but some time ago it did not do any good. It's been some time though so maybe I should check it out once again.

Maybe you could try those VSTs in Reaper to see if they crash there too. If they do crash, then the problem is Windows I guess, if not, I recommend you to stick with Reaper and move on from your old Cubase, you won't regret it ;)

I have actually never used Reaper, but maybe I should give it a try. Has anyone had any problems running Reaper and Cubase on the same system? I've heard, that some DAWs don't get along that well. One of my friends said he had some problems running... I think it was Kristal and Cubase at the same system waaaay back. It was Cubase 4 or something. Ancient. He never defined what the actual problem was, he just said he had some issues.

Never had any problem with any of these, but I haven't used them for a couple of years so who knows...

I have actually never used Reaper, but maybe I should give it a try. Has anyone had any problems running Reaper and Cubase on the same system? I've heard, that some DAWs don't get along that well. One of my friends said he had some problems running... I think it was Kristal and Cubase at the same system waaaay back. It was Cubase 4 or something. Ancient. He never defined what the actual problem was, he just said he had some issues.

I used to use Reaper couple of years ago at the same time with Cubase - no problem at all. Both used to crash occasionally.
Now I'm a big Logic fun. Nice, straightforward DAW :)

I made it to work somehow, don't know how. Did everything the same way as before, but now KefIR seems to run on my Cubase and it's pretty stable even. Nice. Now it's time to start hunting those amp simulators. Is there a thread about those? Maybe I'll check it out, if there is.

Last edited:
I can't recommend TSE X50 v2.4 enough, my number one choice for amp sim/IR stuff if I have to go down that road. Not exactly free but 100% worth the price.