Frustrated like fuck, what's wrong with the mix?

reaper1984

CP-Metal
Aug 4, 2011
Sweden
soundcloud.com
I would like to think it's a "playing" issue, but i'm not sure. Maybe i'm death but i dont feel the the rhythm chucks are "off" but still it sounds "wrong".
Anyone any ideas what the hell is wrong?
The levels the mix in general doesn't feel bad it just doesnt "move", what should i do??!

Updated: Think i'm getting there now. It's not bad anymore. I was probably being anal about the guitars being "off", and the kickdrum was definately a bit too present/loud. It's much smoother now. Mastering is still extreme, i just like it. Not Death Magnetic, but similar, hahaha ;)

Here's the original track i based my mix on for those who don't know it:

Last edited:
One thing I noticed straight away when listening to the tracks was the kick drum is a lot more prominent and busy in the original, doing double the time yours is, this might lock in the groove a bit better maybe? The guitar sounds great to me.

Parallel crush the drums/overheads to get more movement. The trebly EQ on the drums sound terrible. Maybe use a medium attack on the master compressor with around 3:1 ratio for a punchier sound.

Already have tho it's 4:1 ratio on the master. Haha, trebly, don't know what you mean i like em. The kick i'm not such a fan of tho, but it's the avatar kick, it's impossible to get that to sound nice, for some reason. Snare i like, cymbals alright i guess, i dont think they are equed anything so what you hear as trebly is a mystery, the snare maybe? hmm. Just checked, the cymbals (openhat/hi-hat) is actually Lowpassed even and reduced in eq, haha! You probably just don't like em "up front" so to speak.

First of all I think this mix sounds pretty cool, but it's overcompressed AF in the finalizing stage. Guitars sounds good, I would maybe add more bass and cut the presence of the kick to groove better.

Thanks einander, yeah i agree, it's clipped like crazy. I just "liked the sound". I will cut down the presence for the kick for sure, and lower the mastering. it's a bit too loud, that makes it clip/compress a bit too much. Alltho i like it sometimes, Haha!

Last edited: