Funny "Hotel California" comment by Mikael in Detroit

opeth70

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2002
Cleveland, OH USA
Visit site
Between songs during Opeth's set, some guy in the audience at Harpo's in Detroit yelled out "Hotel California"!

Mikael looked at him and said, "Hey, that's a great song. Don't make fun of that song." And, although he was smiling, you could tell that he was sincere. I thought it was pretty cool that Mikael could admit to liking that song in front of about 700 heavy metal fans.

Oh yeah, that same guy yelled out "Fuck Amorphis, they suck" and "Fuck Lacuna Coil, they suck". So apparently, alot of bands suck to that individual...

Hah, I like that song. Though The Eagles in general are kind of crappy...

And yeah, at the Houston show, during Lacuna Coil, some guy yelled out "Evanescence rocks!" The crowd booed him but Andrea just flashed the horns and shrugged it off...

what I want to know is who was around first, evanescence or lacuna. They sound almost identical. What bugs me is that evanescence is so incredibly popular and yet lacuna coil is basically ignored by the mainstream. must be because they have more talent and don't get crappy male vocalists for their hit singles.

If anyone said that Lacuna Coil sucked near me I'd yell something like "NEVER FEAR! Dan is here! Begone, evil demoN!" and beat the crap out of him in front of and sweep Cristina Scabbia off her feet and give her one of those superman smiles and fly out of the venue and make love to her.

Oh yeah that'd be nice.

Anyways Hotel California is an excellent song. I haven't heard much of the Eagles but they're a decent band. And Mikael's always full of surprises. :)

opeth70 said:
Between songs during Opeth's set, some guy in the audience at Harpo's in Detroit yelled out "Hotel California"!

Mikael looked at him and said, "Hey, that's a great song. Don't make fun of that song." And, although he was smiling, you could tell that he was sincere. I thought it was pretty cool that Mikael could admit to liking that song in front of about 700 heavy metal fans.

was that the same douch that kept yelling album titles instead of song titles?

he defended that song because it is a good song. its unfortunate that most heavy metal fans are morons who can't appreciate anything that isn't "FOOKIN HEAVY DUDE!!"

illbeleavinnow said:
If anyone said that Lacuna Coil sucked near me I'd yell something like "NEVER FEAR! Dan is here! Begone, evil demoN!" and beat the crap out of him in front of and sweep Cristina Scabbia off her feet and give her one of those superman smiles and fly out of the venue and make love to her.

How are you gonna make love to her when you have flown outta of the venue and she's still inside?? o_O :tickled:

No no no no

"t of and sweep Cristina Scabbia off her feet and give her one of tho"

Hmm... you're right. OK.

If anyone said that Lacuna Coil sucked near me I'd yell something like "NEVER FEAR! Dan is here! Begone, evil demoN!" and beat the crap out of him in front of and PICK UP Cristina Scabbia off give her one of those superman smiles and fly out of the venue and make love to her.

fadingessence said:
what I want to know is who was around first, evanescence or lacuna. They sound almost identical. What bugs me is that evanescence is so incredibly popular and yet lacuna coil is basically ignored by the mainstream. must be because they have more talent and don't get crappy male vocalists for their hit singles.

Lacuna Coil have been around since about '97 or '98 (correct me if I'm wrong guys) while Evanescence were manufactured in a factory sometime before the movie version of Daredevil came out.

Space_Lord said:
Lacuna Coil have been around since about '97 or '98 (correct me if I'm wrong guys) while Evanescence were manufactured in a factory sometime before the movie version of Daredevil came out.
hmmmm, just because they are popular, they are some manufactured pop band. Give me a break dude.

Space_Lord said:
Hah, I like that song. Though The Eagles in general are kind of crappy...

And yeah, at the Houston show, during Lacuna Coil, some guy yelled out "Evanescence rocks!" The crowd booed him but Andrea just flashed the horns and shrugged it off...

The Hotel California is oldie, but goodie

Cristina Scabbia is good looking girl and Amorphis rox, i met with the whole band last summer, they're all kindly guyz...

NP: Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace

Jim Ansell said:
was that the same douch that kept yelling album titles instead of song titles?
QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the guy. He kept on yelling out "My Arms, Your Hearse" and "Still Life." Apparently he is a big fan of middle-era Opeth.

And the girl that guy was with left him at some point. I wonder why.