Kansas Review

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
i arrived planning to be late for devildriver....and i almost didn't go in early and discover that moonspell played first. that would have been a terrible mistake. i thought that out of all the bands that played, moonspell's sound may have been the tightest. Their guitars really cut through the mix...along with the vocals. i see now what everyone means by their somewhat "cheesy" and "gloomy" stage presence...but it was so cool. the skull stick owned. i really enjoyed the last song...not sure of the title...i will have to check some setlists....i felt alot of emotion in their riffage.

devildriver had the most engergy on stage out of any band.....i gave them a chance....some of their songs had good grove....but most of all, they were pretty damn boring. the lyrics are pretty fucking stupid and dez seemed pretty cocky in the fact that they were the next greatest thing in death metal. dez had to announce in the middle of one of their last songs that "this is the fast part....lets fuck shit up." and their drummer layed down a pretty poor excuse for a "fast" blast beat. i thought their vocals were waaay to loud too....they fucking hurt my ears really bad....oh well...

opeth hit the stage and kept cracking jokes about how their last trip to kansas was to an audience of 42 people....mikael was so cool on stage. he is so down to earth...no ego...just a regular guy up their making good music. they seemed to get into it more and more as the show progressed...at one point i yelled "sweet home"....mikael laughed and replied with, "it seems like every show we play...the crowd thinks that we are lynard skynrd." then every one yelled fuck lynard skynrd. then i felt like a dumb ass, but oh well...mikael got the joke....they nailed the moor perfectly, but they slowed it down a bit. (which is understandable..i dont see how anyone could play that riff when the vocals start and sing at the same time...) it was one of the best songs of the night. seeing april ethereal was a huge treat....during blackwater park the floor got pretty brutal...which was cool at the time..and demon of the fall was absolutely nuts. i love how mikael was so calm about telling every one to "go nuts"....most bands have to scream "lets fuck this motherfucker all up and break some fucking necks and shit...then get high...fuck you" at the top of their loungs in order to get some response from the crowd. i thought that it was a pretty good crowd. ever one was quite during the soft parts, and i think that only a few people yelled "what the fuck?" when mikael busted out his martin....amazing show...awesome band...great guys...good night. everyone is in for a treat on this tour.

Yeah Moonspell was pretty cheesy, but they were a lot better than what I had heard of their CDs, now I might just have to get more into them.

Devildriver was just annoying to me, the guy next to me got hit in the face with the mic chords like 4 or 5 times because DEZ was just hanging off the stage basically. The guitarist on the left with the green guitar stood above me half the time which was pretty annoying and their music was totally shitty. Somebody stagedived during their set and as soon as he jumped I leaned down and he fell behind me(as far as I can remember), heh.

Opeth was fucking brilliant! I shook hands with Mr. Lopez once and Peter twice and the second time he handed me a pick \m/. I heard the guy that said "What the fuck" when Mikael got the Martin out. One of the guys behind me yelled "Quit with the cheap shots" (About how Mikael kept saying last time they came there was only 42 people) or something like that which was pretty amusing. I was one of the people in the front with my jaw down the whole time, so I laughed when Mikael said he didn't want everyone to be like that the whole time.

did you meet the band after the show? which guy were you? i was the fairly big guy with the opeth damnation t-shirt, with long brown hair in a pony tail. if you were talking to the band after the show by the dressing room door, i was the one that gave mikael the black and white picture of him playing guitar.

No, unfortunately I didn't meet the band after the show. During the show I was the guy in the hoodie on the far left moniter the whole time. As far as I know I was the only guy with long hair in the entire front row (except for the guy to my left in a Gorgoroth shirt).

haha, i think i was right next to you dude. blonde hair, grey sweatshirt. i think i turned to you and said something along the lines of 'sorry about the shoving, its out of my control.' i got knocked on my ass during devildriver after the dude did his stage dive. and yeah...that damn mic chord was annoying as shit, not to mention dez's crotch in my face half the time. but opeth was amazing. i usually go to shows up at the quest in minneapolis where theres a rail 3 feet from the stage. it was so incredible to be only like a foot away from both peter and mikael.

my only complaint with the show (other than being knocked on my ass) was that we were so close that we were actually in front of the PA speakers...so we got most of our sound straight from the monitors. now i'm not saying that i would have rather been farther back because being so close was a great experience. the show also would have been a bit more enjoyable without the devildriver kids. i dunno, opeth isnt really mosh music in my mind.

lol, and what kind of sound guy only brings along one cd to play in between bands. that was way too much hatebreed for one night.

Smallz said:
haha, i think i was right next to you dude. blonde hair, grey sweatshirt. i think i turned to you and said something along the lines of 'sorry about the shoving, its out of my control.' i got knocked on my ass during devildriver after the dude did his stage dive. and yeah...that damn mic chord was annoying as shit, not to mention dez's crotch in my face half the time. but opeth was amazing. i usually go to shows up at the quest in minneapolis where theres a rail 3 feet from the stage. it was so incredible to be only like a foot away from both peter and mikael.

my only complaint with the show (other than being knocked on my ass) was that we were so close that we were actually in front of the PA speakers...so we got most of our sound straight from the monitors. now i'm not saying that i would have rather been farther back because being so close was a great experience. the show also would have been a bit more enjoyable without the devildriver kids. i dunno, opeth isnt really mosh music in my mind.

lol, and what kind of sound guy only brings along one cd to play in between bands. that was way too much hatebreed for one night.

Yeah! That was me right next to you. Those moshers were getting damn annoying, but I tried not to get pushed too far over.

I know what you're saying with the sound, and it also seemed when Peter and Per were playing the same melody line that the keys overpowered the guitars which I didn't think too highly of..but other than that it was a killer show.

Did you hear the guy yell "Stop with the fuckin' hatebreed," I couldn't agree with him more.