G3

Serge...

That guy you're not
Jun 6, 2003
Denver, CO, U.S.
Visit site
Since I've been so busy posting since I got home 10 minutes ago, I'll start a new thread.

Has anyone gone to or is planning to attend the G3 tour with Vai, Satch, and Yngwie? I'm just wondering how that show's going to be because I'm going Monday. If you went, any setlists or just comments about the performances would be cool.

I'm really psyched about this. It's a once in a lifetime thing I guess. Yngwie, Vai, and Satch on the same stage? And I hear that Tony MacAlpine has made a few guest appearances.

Yngwie is just going to improvise the whole night, so he doasnt have a setlist. I dunno about the rest tho.

I'm going on November 11, and I'm psyched. And Yngwie doesn't just improvise the entire time, he plays his instrumentals and stuff. Either way, I've heard he has awesome stage presence, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Yngwie DOES have great stage presence... sometimes I'm afraid he's going to kick me in the face when I watch his DVD! lol

But yeah, I'll be attending the Pittsburgh date - it's going to be awesome!

A friend of mine (an incredible guitarist in his own right) saw them in Phoenix recently, and even though he was mainly there to see Vai and Satch, he said that Yngwie pretty much stole the show. He hardly mentioned Steve and Joe, and just raved about how amazing Yngwie was. Not only did Tony MacAlpine make an appearance, the legendary Billy Sheehan also showed up with some shredinating.

The Yngster said:
I'm going on November 11, and I'm psyched. And Yngwie doesn't just improvise the entire time, he plays his instrumentals and stuff. Either way, I've heard he has awesome stage presence, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.
No man, Yngwie is just going to improvise the whole thing, with the band backing him of course. I've heard straight from his own mouth in a audio interview, but thats even better dont you think?

I've read reviews, and he plays Far Beyond the Sun and Black Star.. so don't worry. Anyway, I'd be pretty damn pissed if he just shredded randomly throughout the whole show, that would suck. And it's not the way Vai and Satch do it, so why should Yngwie be an exception?

Well.. I went to the G3 show last night and I wasn't disappointed. It was a great show. Here's the full story with all spoilers included:

My friends and I got about there twenty minutes early, but the line had already stretched on for about two blocks. Considering the Fillmore Auditorium here in Denver isn't that big of a venue, the turnout really surprised me. Due to technical difficulties, we stood in line for about an extra 45 minutes to an hour (I never wear a watch so I'm approximating).

When we finally got in, it took about 15 minutes for Yngwie to appear on stage. After navigating around a bunch of guys with afros and big hair, I finally got a good view of him, and man... he sure can put on a show. He played a great set consisting of about half of the Rising Force album, along with other classics such as Blitzkrieg. The problem was, though, that he BSed his way through most of my favorites, like Black Star and Far Beyond the Sun. Instead of playing the songs note for note with a few little improvisations here and there, he shred through the whole songs, stopping to play a riff every once in a while to distinguish one song from the next. The only things that set Black Star apart from any other songs, for instance, was the bass line, Yngwie playing the main riff about twice, and the acoustic intro. Despite this problem and the fact that Yngwie was TOO GODDAMN LOUD, the set was really enjoyable. The guy did all kinds of crazy stage antics, like swinging his guitar, throwing it, smashing it, just about anything a live guitarist can do.

Next was Steve Vai, who was the biggest surprise of the night. Not being a huge Vai fan, I was blown away after seeing him. His technical skill is amazing, and I don't get impressed too easily anymore. I'm not too familiar with his songs so I can't tell you what he played, but a few of them sounded pretty familiar. Also, Tony Macalpine played keys/guitar for Vai, and Billy Sheehan played bass. The set was great. Some of the best parts of the set were: Steve Vai playing a 3-neck guitar, Sheehan's bass solo, Tony MacAlpine and Steve doing double harmonies, and all of the guitar players (Steve, Tony, Billy Sheehan, and Steve's rhythm guitarist) lining up together and playing each other's guitars with the left hand while picking their own with the right.

Satch was up next and he put on a good show as well. He played all of his songs flawlessly, with perfect dynamics and anything. Joe is a true professional. Among his setlist were classics such as: Always with Me, Always with you, Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, and Satch Boogie, along with lots of other fan favorites. His playing was fantastic but he didn't really do much to entertain the crowd like Yngwie or Vai. Nevertheless, a solid set.

Finally, after Joe's last song, he invited Yngwie and Vai up on stage for the famous jam session. They played three songs: Keep on Rocking in the Free World, and a couple Hendrix tunes. All three of the guys sang at one point or another. They're all pretty decent singers actually. The whole solo duel thing was ok, I guess. Maybe I was tired by then or maybe Yngwie was too loud for me to hear Vai, but I didn't find it to be the best part of the night. Yngwie's shredding was a bit out of place, and I couldn't hear Vai very well. Still, it was fun to watch, a classic moment in guitar.

All in all, I had a great time at G3, and to any fan of shred, I recommend you go see this show. You'd probably even enjoy the show even if you aren't a guitarist seeing as how Vai and Satch songs have appeal to non-guitarists as well.

Serge

I'm glad he played Blitz. I feel the same as far as Yngwie going apeshit instead of playing the actual song. I don't understand why he does that. He has so many beautifully terrifing instrumentals. I'm listening to "Little Savage" right now, and I would sure love to hear that rather than him just going off. That is one major difference from when he was younger. He used to really stay true to the song that he was playing live. And alot of people are likely seeing him for the first time on this tour and it's a shame that some of them will walk away from the gig not knowing what a great composer he is.

That point aside - I can't wait for thursday at the palace here in Michigan, It's going to be incredible.

Yeah, a lot of the people I talked to thought he was technically great but just went overboard with the shredding. They didn't really understand how good of a writer he can be.. a shame, but Yngwie's bringing it upon himself.