GAME OF THRONES SEASON 3 EP1

not surprised ep 1 was slow, the show is based on books, and books take awhile to build. also the end of last season was a huge siege on kings landing so everyone is still recovering from that. i think i need to rewatch season 2 cause i kinda forgot what else happend besides the battle heh.

The big challenge this season is gonna be sprawl - there's so many characters in different places to juggle. I imagine the next episode or two are gonna be like this as well before we get some serious momentum.

This had some good shit, though. Tywin talking to Tyrion about inheritance. Damn.

I really hope they focus more on Jon Snow in the upcoming episodes, what with his defection and all. The look on the wildling king's face when he said, "I want to fight on the side of those fighting for the living" was really awesome. I'm glad they introduced him into the fold...he's a great actor. His name escapes me but he usually plays eastern European/Russian generals/presidents/etc. in films.

I think they said that this season will have longer episodes because there is just too much story to tell in one hour.

Also, VIKINGS. I just started watching that show and it's great! Gabriel Byrne FTW!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a great show, but did you actually think that the prior seasons were somehow fast?

I have a friend who watches it, and was under the assumption that it was supposed to be some "war epic" or some shit, just because it's a warring kingdom. He was bitching because of the battles Robb Stark helmed didn't really show anything but the aftermath.

Yep, it's a trade-off. Do you want instant gratification but a plot you can take or leave? Spartacus. Do you want a deep story with almost as much tits and gore but that can be just as frustrating as it is compelling? Game of Thrones.

Or do you want a fucking soap opera where there's 5 minutes of action and the rest is a bunch of bubbling, bumbling, whining, and ridiculously stupid decision-making that makes you shout at your tv and constantly ask yourself why you still watch the fucking show? The Walking Dead.

Or do you want a fucking soap opera where there's 5 minutes of action and the rest is a bunch of bubbling, bumbling, whining, and ridiculously stupid decision-making that makes you shout at your tv and constantly ask yourself why you still watch the fucking show? The Walking Dead.

Season two started to really bore me since it was just "more of the same" pretty much every episode. Season three started to get interesting once Michonne and the Governor were introduced, but then quickly went downhill. The season three finale was the biggest "Are you fucking serious?" ending I've ever seen too.

The Spartacus near-finale was kind of like the exact opposite. It actually ended on a more realistic note compared to pretty much all of the episodes up to it. I don't care how much of a Marcus Fenix space-marine you are, eventually superior numbers will overthrow you.

The penultimate episode of TWD was much better than the final episode, imo. I, too, literally said, "Are you fucking kidding me?" at the end.

Yep, it's a trade-off. Do you want instant gratification but a plot you can take or leave? Spartacus. Do you want a deep story with almost as much tits and gore but that can be just as frustrating as it is compelling? Game of Thrones.

GoT has its nudity from time to time but there are plenty of Spartacus episodes that alone have more violence and gore than the whole GoT series. as you said above, the violence/battle isnt really the focus, its more about politics. i really liked season 1 but as the dragons get older and they focus more on that story im losing a bit of interest. i agree with the hope for more jon snow, that's the most interesting plot line right now.

Random off-topic, but does anyone else watch Homeland? If you do, then you ought to consider The Americans. Where Homeland started out more about a threat and then quickly devolved into just a love story in the second season, The Americans is more about the family life of (80s) KGB operatives with bits of missions in between all of that. The only thing I don't really like about the show is how it portrays the 80s. It's only somewhat accurate, but there are too many things that look straight out of the 90s.

What did the 80s have the worst of from any era in American history? Horrible makeup jobs and some really awful hairdos. This show almost exclusively has neither.

oh that's how they're doing it? man, i didnt have full confidence in hbo sticking with it for 7 seasons but if they start splitting up the books what's it gonna be, 10? plus there are still 2 more books to be written, with the series catching up faster than the last few books came out...oh well i guess we'll see what happens!

George R.R. Martin probably has a contract with HBO to have the last one written by the time they film the last one. It should be guaranteed since HBO is now a big part of his success. We'll see how it all works out with the writing and how they want to do it...Cancelling the show would be a possibility if the show begins to stall like The Walking Dead and it loses viewers and everyone gets over "Game of Thrones" in general. Other than that I don't see why they would stop it unless a bunch of the main actors leave (before their time to die in the show...if they do, haven't read them) because someone in the business was ripping them off

its also expensive to make so it needs to stay popular and worth the $ to produce

The cost was the main reason I thought my friend's expectation was pretty ridiculous. Their budget is already large (5-10 mill per), but think about the budget for Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. There's no possible way that they would be able to do a bunch of battles every few episodes. If they did it like that, it would end up looking cheesy like Xena or some shit.