Gaming consoles

Aggressor

Einherje
Oct 24, 2002
Norway
Im thinking of buying a gaming console, since there has been a halt in good single player games (or good games in general) for the PC.

But Iam not by far sure of what to get...

Playstation 2: Has the widest array of games on the market, pluss it has a DVD player, however it is getting pretty old, and the graphics isnt exactly stunning anymore.

Nitendo Gamecube: Looks to be the future of gaming consoles, has a couple of up coming promissing games (like the Two Towers (allthough it is on PS 2 as well))
Has quite nice graphics and good performance.
Does not however have a DVD player and the games are pretty expensive compared to the PS 2. (As the previous Nintendo systems)

XBOX: Produced and released by Microsoft, which scares me quite a bit...
Has a DVD player, and at least one good game (HALO).
The performance is quite good, and it has the largest processor of the consoles on the market at this time.
But still it is Microsoft, and the fact that it got a blue screen at a games convention makes me even more sceptical towards it...

Does anyone have any viewpoints on this subject that could help me in my choice?

Get a grip! PS2 is the obvious choise. I think the graphics is stunning, even after playing (oh-so-shit) Xbox. Think about it, man....only FFX is a fair reason to buy PS2.
And as you mentioned: Dvd player, a huge load of games, and more to come... If you take my advise, you'll buy a PS2. If you're stupid, you'll buy another console.:D

I'd go for a PS2. There's no DVD for a normal gamecube, but you can buy a Panasonic "Q" which plays DVDs and CDs for about the same price of a PS2 or XBox...but they're harder to find. Both are strong in the gaming area, but PS2 has a bit more variety because it's been out longer. Xbox'll get old fast.

Well I must say Im leaning towards the PS2, but Im still far from deciding...
Ive been watching all the gameplay movies for the two towers now (Im in school, in my computer science class :p)
And it looks fucking great, I really want that game, and since it wont be out for the PC I guess Im going to have to turn over to the console side...
Im not really into the FFX series, havent tryed any of them but I watched a friend of mine fight a boss there, and he summoned a god and did 70 000 damage to him, but he still stood strong, he fought him for about an hour and a half and then he (my friend) died...
I didnt seeme to be the best game ever (in my eyes anyway), dont like turn based systems either.
But the PS2 is now my first choise, but still not sure...

Well, being an avid gamer, I get into arguements over this subject often.

Xbox - While made by Microsoft and having infinite resources, the console still seems hard-up for good games. In all honesty, if you have a high-end computer, there's no need for the Xbox. Most of the games that aren't on the PC will be multiplatform games. Even Halo will be coming to the PC sooner or later. While it does have extras like the hard drive, don't be fooled by people telling you it's the best, most powerful console.

GameCube - Many claim it's for children, but to those that do, fuck off :) . The GameCube, in my opinion, has the best line-up of games coming/already out. The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime (which is by far the best game this year), Resident Evil 0 and 4, Eternal Darkness, Starfox Adventures, and many many more. It doesn't have DVD playback or anything big like that, it does have the WaveBird. The wireless controller you can use three houses down the street.

PS2 - Graphics are a bit dated, but it all depends on the developers. I mean.. look at The Two Towers. That game looks a lot better than many Xbox and GC games. This is the console with the largest library of games. Has some of my favourite games as well. If you're an RPG gamer, as I am, you'll love this console. Also, the classics are re-made onto this console. Shinobi, Rygar, Contra, and a few others that seem to slip my mind right now. This seems to be the best buy as of right now by the fact that there are so many great games.

Hope I didn't bore you! Any questions, feel free to ask.

Im gonna have to say PS2 as well. Its been kicking my sorry ass for quite some time, But it has a great catalouge of games too, FFX, bein as said up above, A great reason to get it. The New tomb raider is out this month, And the one game ive been waiting for forever, Tenchu 3!!! So its PS2 all the way ;)

I think i'm gonna buy a PC!

It's got the largest selection of games, accessories, has the best graphics, the best controller options, it's got a big fuckoff hard-drive, it's got the internet and word and shit like that, and a good one won't become obsolete like all consoles do as long as you keep upgrading a lil bit here and there!

PC is definately the best games console. (minus console bit, but y'know what I mean)

Most gamecube owners i know are upset over the same thing, Too many kiddie games, But they do have the exclusives to the resident evil series of remakes.

Well Sculpted I have a PC, that I built myself last summer, its a P4 2 Ghz and Im able to run all games on the highest detail on it, but the problem is that there has been a halt in good, or even intressting PC games lately.
The PC market has been forcused more and more on the multiplayer side of gameing, I do enjoy a nice round of deathmatch as much as the other man, but I want something more.
I get tired of multiplayer only games very quickly...

What I want is a good singleplayer experience, like I experienced with Half-Life, Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate and Rune...

If I'm not mistaken, Half-Life 2 isn't too far off. Plus Spearhead, the Medal of Honor expansion pack, is out! What I'm really waiting for on the PC is the third installment of Diablo. It's going to be god-like.

Well the only thing Valve has released about Half-Life 2 is that it is under way, there is still no screenshots or anything like that.
I think we'll still have to wait a long time for Half-Life 2, just look at Team Fortress 2, Valve announced it ages ago, put out tons of screenshots and then started to rebuild the whole game due to a change in the graphics engine, ok it was probably for the best dont think the quake 2 graphics would have looked to good nowadays.
It took a long time before they released Half-Life as well, it was delayed dozens of times, and that was just after we had begun to see the final product...

As for Diablo, I guess it will be good, though I found Diblo II a bit dull, it was just the same thing through the whole game...:(
On the RPG front I relly enjoyed the Baldurs Gate series.

Buy a Gamecube, Metroid Prime is by far one of the greatest games in existence. It is worth buying a Gamecube for. After you beat Metroid, which will take some time, you always have Zelda, which will come with 3 games in one package most likely, Mario Sunshine which is pretty long and pretty challenging, F-Zero later down the road, Eternal Darkness is pretty damn good, feels like a book, Resident Evil always bored me so no comment there, Super Monkey Ball is hilarious ont he outside but an excellent game on the inside and you can't go wrong with Rogue Leader II.

I'd go for PS2 over the Gamecube
I have a friend who owns the Gamecube and can't buy many games because they are fucking expensive

Alright, state more facts please. Each system has new games that usually debut at 50$. The PS2 has "Greatest Hits" titles that are about 20$, those are not brand-new titles. Older GC games are also cheaper. ;)