The new consoles

Thematt202

May 11, 2011
Chesterfield
Anyone planning to buy one (or both!) of the new games consoles this year?

I've've got a PS4 on pre-order. Can't wait to finally play Battlefield with 64 players and decent graphics/frame rate!

Probably not. A friend showed me some pictures of InFamous Second Sun and I must say it does look really nice. But when I play it's mainly on the 3DS and don't think I'd play it enough to make it worth it to buy a new console. But will be intressting to see what people think of these new machines(also intressting to hear about the Steam Box!).

Not at this moment but I would be surprised if didn't buy one or both of them sometime next year. I certainly want to get a PS4 at some point for the upcoming Metal Gear games as I'd rather play the next gen version rather than current gen and I always prefer playing Metal Gear games on Sony controllers.

Video Game-wise, I can't wait for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on 3DS (out next Friday) and Super Mario 3D World on Wii U (out the Friday after).

Since going headfirst into a beefy PC rig I don't think I'll be coming back to consoles for a long time.

If I had to get one though it'd be the PS4.

I'm most excited for the eventual Oculus Rift release :D

I recently got back into console/handheld gaming recently by acquiring my brother's 360 (probably the 3rd or 4th time I've owned one of those things) and buying myself a 3DS with the new Pokemon and some other games. Can't wait for the new 3DS Zelda.

I'm definitely getting a PS4 - I still have never played a PS3 but I do not like what I see from the Xbox One and what Microsoft is doing to it. It's also $500! I'm more happy with $400 for the PS4. Last gen the games looked amazing, but I want a PS4 because it really looks like games are going to become truly massive, breathtaking worlds unlike anything released before. I can't wait to see some of the RPGs and the next Grand Theft Auto and Elder Scrolls that come out.

I wish they'd given the new machines a bit more horsepower. There's no way they're gonna last till 2020 with 4K TVs in the shops already (though I still don't know anyone who owns one).

Looks like it's another symptom of the recession as the new hardware is profit-generating right out of the gate. New consoles are usually sold at a loss and the money clawed back through games and accessories.

The thing is the PS3 was out for 7 years and the 360 was out for 8, and both will still receive support (at least the 360 will) for another 4 years, through 2017 (I believe the final PS1 game was released in the early or mid 2000s, so there's precedent). I have a feeling that Sony and Microsoft made GOBS of profit from both systems over the years and as a result they could produce a smarter, faster, more powerful console without overreaching and making a system that would cost, say, 700 USD instead of 400. Or you could be right! I just don't think it's because the machines are watered down, though.

I've since seen a full resolution 60fps video of PS4 Battlefield 4 multiplayer. I'm now officially excited again. those compressed 30fps YouTube videos DO NOT do it justice.