2013 Next Gen consoles

Juno - Ellen Page.

My point was when do they cease being games and just become interactive CGI quick-time events? All the pretty graphics in the world don't give a game a sense of depth, they detract from it imo. I'm all about immersion and nerdy rpg shit though so take my opinion with a grain of iridium. :lol:

Am I the only one that came in here expecting a thread about control surfaces, or mixing boards? LOL....

Carry on...

Juno - Ellen Page.

My point was when do they cease being games and just become interactive CGI quick-time events? All the pretty graphics in the world don't give a game a sense of depth, they detract from it imo. I'm all about immersion and nerdy rpg shit though so take my opinion with a grain of iridium. :lol:

I didn't get hooked up on this video for the graphics (it's even only PS3) but for the quality of the realisation of that teaser.

I'm a total nerdy rpg gamer as well. Right now playing FF XIII and loving the story but hating the linearity and easy as fuck evolution system !

I hear the key words 'couch', 'controller', 'big TV' often advocating in favor of the console experience. While that's all good and well, I would hope people realize those are no means exclusive to consoles. XBOX360 Controllers for Windows plug n play right into a USB port. Your PC won't die if you sit on a couch. You can hook up a big-screen LCD TV straight to your video card.

The two are rapidly converging toward a similar meeting point. Console gaming is no longer the plug'n'play affair it once was. Games need to install content onto your machine, they need to download online updates. The OS needs to update itself. These are the same things once cited as detracting from the PC experience, yet now plague consoles as well. I feel like with every new console generation the PC platform gains a distinct advantage as simply being a more powerful machine to reach the same end.

I hope at one point they simply unify, or consoles reach a point of obsolescence so developers can just focus on the one ever-evolving platform.

I think you missed a key thing Ermz - I don't want to be sat at a PC all day, with a mouse+keyboard style experience. I don't want to be sat at a desk. The couch isn't the thing... the lack of the "work vibe" is the thing. Steams Big Picture goes someway to curing the "work vibe" of the PC, but it's not 100% yet.

I have owned different consoles even a 360 and I'm pretty sure that you can play a PC like if it was a console, in your couch, bed; with a controller plugged into computer, wireless keyboard+mouse, a big screen hooked up into a big screen, etc. There are so many ways to play comfortable in your computer to play it in "console mode", you just have to figure out how. When I want to play let's say Sonic Generations I grab my 360 controller sitting on my desk, change to the big screen, I stand up and sit on the couch and play. I don't mind standing up everytime I play games but even this step can be avoided with wireless keyboard and mouse. You would end up spending kinda the same amount of money minus the PC itself of course. I don't see how a console is more practical and more plug n' play than a PC.

I think you missed a key thing Ermz - I don't want to be sat at a PC all day, with a mouse+keyboard style experience. I don't want to be sat at a desk. The couch isn't the thing... the lack of the "work vibe" is the thing. Steams Big Picture goes someway to curing the "work vibe" of the PC, but it's not 100% yet.

That would go down to the individual. I don't consider my PC strictly a 'work machine' even though I do most of my recording work on it. It's equally an entertainment, research and communication station.

I think it makes sense that over time people will want one machine to satisfy most of their domestic technological needs, much as phones have become mp3 players, web browsers, portable gaming consoles and watches. I imagine over time the personal computer will start to centralize the home entertainment experience, eventually running the television, DVD player and gaming console into obsolescence. Not to say that TVs won't exist, but rather that they'll be hooked up to a machine which is able to stream all content on demand, rather than when the networks decide to show it.

PS4 will be officially announced by Sony the 20th of february. Sony announced a special event for that day, with no more info so it's more than obvious it will be about the PS4. Some people say the video shows glimpse of the possible design but I can't see anything else than the 4 PS button logos, it's nothing but a buzz video for me.

From what I read (nothing official yet), they didn't do the same mistake as PS2/3 and the architecture is now closer to a PC, possibly based on an AMD 8core (4xdualcore), making developers happier. Still not fixed between 4 and 8 Go DDR5. The infamous dualshock will change or maybe disappear with maybe a tactile interface included in it (I just hope it's not something ala Wii-U... !). You could stream/upload recordings directly from the console to youtube if you're one of those. Ultra HD (4k) with a compatible cd reader.

It would be available jap and USA end of 2013, early 2014 for europe. The new XBox should hit the market 6 months before, this summer possibly.

EDIT : oh and there is a rumor of retro compatibility with prev-gen games and controllers

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they would've showed what the console will look like. Watch Dogs and Killzone: Shadow Fall both looked like they will be really fun though!

I'm interested to see what Valve releases with the rumored Steam box (if they release anything this year). The PS4 seems neat but I wasn't blown away with the presentation today.

EDIT : oh and there is a rumor of retro compatibility with prev-gen games and controllers

apparently because they've changed the chips they won't be backward compatible with previous gen games. You'll have to stream those old games to play them on the PS4?

I wonder they'll provide free versions or whatever, maybe by punching in a upc code so you don't in effect lose the games you've actually purchased

EDIT: scratch that last part. Just realized there'd be no way for them to know what was purchased new for $60 or bought 2nd hand at gamestop for $20

Meh. Watch dogs looks amazing but other than that i'm disappointed. If the ps4 were backwards compatible i'd probably have bought it some day. But if i have to keep both, ps3 and 4 idk. It has to be amazing.

Hopefully microsoft won't disappoint like that..

Yeah maybe you're right. I'm not sure about the retro compatibility, it's just a rumor that has been floating around since the question is often asked. It's not the thing that would bother me the most though

no its been so far confirmed since yesterday that the PS4 is not backward compatible with previous generation games

"The adoption of PC chips also means that the new console won't be able to play games created for any of the three previous PlayStations, even though the PS4 will have a Blu-ray disc drive, just like the PS3. Instead, Sony said gamers will have to stream older games to the PS4 through the Internet."

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-technology/20130220/US.TEC.Sony.PlayStation/

fine and all but I still want to know about if you have to repurchase PS3 games you may still be playing to stream to the PS4

thats a deal breaker for me, even if it is only a few games

fine and all but I still want to know about if you have to repurchase PS3 games you may still be playing to stream to the PS4

thats a deal breaker for me, even if it is only a few games

I don't think you have to repurchase them, they're going to be streamed through gaikai.
Last but not least: whatever you bought on the psn network as digital download is not valid anymore on the PS4.....
PS4 is like a pc, while PS3 (and old shit) is really a different thing!
Thank satan they listened to the programmers and dropped that hard as fuck SDK.

that still sucks .. a lot of games don't even hit their stride until they start offering all the DLC

I probably have a couple hundred $$$ in DLC for several games ... thats basically saying I threw that away

don't know, I'll wait for more solid info to come out about it but right now, I'm more than happy to stick with my PS3