2013 Next Gen consoles

that still sucks .. a lot of games don't even hit their stride until they start offering all the DLC

I probably have a couple hundred $$$ in DLC for several games ... thats basically saying I threw that away

don't know, I'll wait for more solid info to come out about it but right now, I'm more than happy to stick with my PS3
Worst case scenario, I'll keep my PS3, buy a PS4 and just switch back and forth. Sounds like it could be a pain in the ass, but it's better than losing hundreds of dollars worth of content.

Been waiting to see what the new systems will look like, graphically.

Honestly, as impressive as new technology is, the video posted above doesn't make me go "Holy shit, incredible!!"...

Doesn't seem too far off of what current consoles can handle now, IMO. Maybe its just the Youtube squeezing the life out of it (watched it in 1080, though).

+1 to this - Have you seen the first cut scene of Halo 4? I didn't realize the woman wasn't a real person until like a minute in :eek:

PS4 looks cool, but no backwards compatibility is kinda a deal breaker. Then again, I probably won't buy one till a year or more after it comes out, so at that point, I won't want to play any of my PS3 games anyway :p The new Xbox will likely be first on my list, as I have little time for most of the "Playstation Exclusive" games, which seem to be more action/adventure related.

one thing I'm curious about ... I think this applies to games like Mass Effect (which I've never played yet) but I know it applies to the Dragon Age series ...

DA allows for you to import your saved games from the previous game to help somewhat shape the course of events in the new game. They did this with DA II so that even though you weren't playing the character you created in DA I many of the choices and dialogue options were tailored specifically around the way you had played that game. They had said the new DA game would further continue that, basically creating some sort of connection between all 3 games and yet the rumor is that the new one is to be made for PS4. If you can't play your PS3 games on the PS4 except through some streaming service, how the fuck would you import your game data from the previous?

I know there's other games like that as well

I'm done with sony/playstation, No backwards compatibility, some new bollocks that means you can'y play games that've already been played on another console, not to mention the hassle me and my dad had with customer service (hint, there wasn't any) when psn went down, they can fuck off.

Shame really, ps1 and ps2 are linked to some of my fondest memories *cough cough ff7/gta 3, vice city and san andreas*

Ahhh well that's a bit better, but the fact still stands that after the ridiculousness of the psn failure and other reasons, including the ps3 being an arsehole for developers to code, the fact you've gotta spend an hour updating a game before you can play it if you've left it alone for a month and the cost i'll stick with the xbox from here on out, unless of course square enix remake ff7. In which case i'll sell my organs for one (fanboy alert)

The whole backwards compatibility thing.....why would it be such a huge deal if you already own the previous system(s)? Of course, the main pain would be having to switch systems to play an older game. But think about back in the day. You wouldn't dream of playing an NES game on the SNES, right?

Just something I was discussing with some friends the other day.

The whole backwards compatibility thing.....why would it be such a huge deal if you already own the previous system(s)? Of course, the main pain would be having to switch systems to play an older game. But think about back in the day. You wouldn't dream of playing an NES game on the SNES, right?

Obviously not, but we're moving forward with technology, not backwards. The ps2, ps3 and even xbox 360 all have backwards compatability (or at least to an extent), as did the gameboy color, and that was all the way back in 1997. In a modern development you'd expect to at least be able to play the games from one previous system.

Not being able to play ps1/ps2 games I could understand because presumably it'd put a big limit on the processors etc (eg, we tried playing some game designed for windows 95 on windows 7 the other day, it just crapped out consistently supposedly because of the overly advanced hardware, compared to the time the game came out), but being able to play a ps3 game on it should be possible in one way or another, or at least you'd hope so, especially considering alot of people will be trading in their ps3's for credit on a ps4

Yeah but the fact is most people trade in their old console for the new one. Who has room for all the old consoles + the money to buy a brand new console and re-buy all the games? It's just a waste, and it also comes down to preserving games when you think about it. All old consoles, like all hard drives, will eventually die, and then those games basically don't exist any more aside from emulation. It would be a big selling point to be able to jump in on the PS4 with all your old digital library intact. Especially with stuff like the PS+ I pay for, I mean that's a humongous library I basically just rented until I get the PS4. And when you think about it, you can play pretty much all old PC games on a modern system.

Guys get over it, PS4 is like a goddamn PC (x86), PS3 is built on different hardware!
That's why it's not compatible.
Being a developer myself I'm glad they dropped that hard as fuck SDK because I read terrible stories about it (never worked on a PS3 SDK... just read on the internet some articles)
Maybe you're just gamers and don't know much about coding with terrible SDK's, it's hell on earth really.
PS4 will give you better games for sure.
For example it took bethesda a lot to make those Skyrim DLC's available for the ps3, I guess with ps4 things will be ready sooner.

Not being able to play ps1/ps2 games I could understand because presumably it'd put a big limit on the processors etc (eg, we tried playing some game designed for windows 95 on windows 7 the other day, it just crapped out consistently supposedly because of the overly advanced hardware, compared to the time the game came out), but being able to play a ps3 game on it should be possible in one way or another, or at least you'd hope so, especially considering alot of people will be trading in their ps3's for credit on a ps4

Actually, its the other way around.
Having the PS4 playing PS1-PS2 games could be achieved by emulating the original hardware(Which is pretty basic by todays standards.).
However, the PS3 uses a very unique and complex architecture.. this might actually make the PS3 become a forgotten console in the future, because you still have to own an operational and fully upgraded console to be able to play all the games.

Anyways, i doubt much backwards compability at all.. if any, it will probably be of the PS1 only(Since its been emulated so many times already.).

Yeah people need to chill out about it, I'm not overly shocked about that part of the deal, and from what it looks like, it will be from now on compatible with next systems since it's now a PC. The PS3 is already an old console and the market was completely different by then, and some people at this time were not too keen on having a PC-like machine (like me, I didn't like the idea of storage as opposed to having a PC, I wanted a console with a memory card like old days).

That said, like Notuern say, it would be fucking awesome if they could make an integrated emulator for PS1, PS2, and one day PS3. Being able to play PS1 games by downloading them or streaming them just like we do on PS3 for some probably will arrive soon. The awesome thing would be to have the whole PS1/2 catalogue right away.

Well considering I JUST got an xbox 360 like three days ago, I won't be getting any PS4's for quite a while...

But think about back in the day. You wouldn't dream of playing an NES game on the SNES, right?

but that's cause the media changed. PS4 is still Blu-Ray. I'm sure someone will come up with a hack kit to use older games on the new unit

did anyone watch the the MGS V presentation!?
the new fox engine...i pissed my pants. this will bring games to a complete new level!

...and oh, btw...DID YOU RIKE IT!? :D

Last edited by a moderator: