Gary Gygax Passes Away

Rider of Theli

The Hellequin
Mar 1, 2004
Hiram, Ga
myspace.com
D20.gif
Ernest Gary Gygax, one of the most influential figures in gaming, died early this morning at his home in Lake Geneva, Wis. Gygax was 69. The earliest report appeared on his publisher Troll Lord Games' forum. Full Article found here.

And on a personal note, I was able to briefly meet what many consider the Founding Father of Dungeons & Dragons in 2001 at the only GenCon I have ever attended. I shook his hand and said with a proud smile "Thanks, I have been playing D&D for almost 20 years." To which he shook his head and replied jokingly, "I am so sorry." :zombie: :lol:

He seemed very genuine with a kind soul. And I sincerely appreciate the years of gaming fun he helped provide to me and so many friends I have met through the game for the past 25 years.

Cheers to you Gary as you cross the Great Divide!

/edit/ just found this info on Yahoo

One of my friends posted in her LJ with a link that said "Gary Gygax fails his FORT roll" XD I think he would appreciate the humor, all the same.

All joking aside, this is sad news. :(

Man that sucks! I still remember being 12 years old in 1982 and taking two buses by myself for the first time alone. I had a $20 bill which was at the time more money than I ever had in my life. I went to the hobby store and bought the hard cover Dungeons And Dragons: Dungeon Master Guide by Gary Gygax. Thanks to him my creativity still exists. Rest in peace Gary!

Yes, Gary failed his final saving throw. I'm kinda bummed.

I met him at Dragon*Con back in 1987 -- he was one of the big Gaming guests, along with Richard "Lord British" Garriott -- and he was exceptionally cool in person. He was also very kind to a friend of mine, then 13, who was 'killed off' by Gary himself in the Celebrity Role-Playing Round-Robin tournament.

Travel gently, Gary. We'll miss you...and no die roll is needed to determine THAT sentiment.
rose.gif

A very sad day. Pen and paper RPGs are the whole reason I'm a computer programmer and have the career I have, so I'm very grateful to him for his creation.

Between Dungeons and Dragons, Gamma World, and the Commodore Vic 20 it set me on the path to software design. Heck, as kid I just HAD to figure that computer thing out so I could write a program to randomly generate non-player characters to ease my burden as Game Master :) Nothing like having a *game* 'force' you to learn tools to automate redundant tasks and learn useful real-world skills, LOL.

Gygax Is Rolling In His Grave

I'm really glad people are taking this whole thing with a great sense of humor. It's a real damn shame, but inevitable so it's awesome to see people share memories and experiences and crack nerd jokes. That penny arcade thing is absolutely perfect :lol:

I no longer play, but it was a huge deal in my teens. Friends and I actually started with the basic books, you know, every weapon was a D6. I remember later getting the AD&D and was blown away. I still have my players, DM and monster manual in a box int he garage. I couldn't ever quite part with them.

Thanks a lot Gary, your imagination touched a lot of people.

Seen on another site, "Pouring out a 40 of Mountain Dew for my dead homey."

I've had lots of fun playing D&D over the years. I haven't played pretty much since EQ came out. Sometimes I miss playing a lot. It's funny how much his game has influenced games produced since: paper and digital.

Note to self: Contact Yippee once I've moved to Chicago and want to start gaming again. :D

Does everyone remember all the complaints and whining every time an updated version of D&D (or AD&D) came out? I just got annoyed once they came out with 3e, and then shortly thereafter, 3.5e. Because of this I will never again buy another gaming book. I'll just borrow someone else's PHB if I get to play once 4e comes out. However, I do still have all my old gaming books.

Because of this I will never again buy another gaming book. I'll just borrow someone else's PHB if I get to play once 4e comes out. However, I do still have all my old gaming books.

I picked up the Castles & Crusades PHB about a year ago. It's a nice system; simple with emphasis on role playing rather than dice rolling and stats. Of course, I've never played the system though.

*pushes glasses up onto bridge of nose in true gamer style* :D

"If there's any girls in the bar I wanna do them!"

Rider of Theli, I am SO all for that!

In fact, I'll bring my Munchkin deck, and we can all munchkin it up for a good laugh. And maybe I'll invest in Kobolds Ate My Baby! as well. :D

*shakes her dice bag in an attempt to draw out more gamers*