Gary Gygax Passes Away

Why's that?

Because I have more fun when sober. I did my heavy drinking/partying my senior year of undergrad. Going to a gaming session while hungover is NOT fun. So I guess technically I was still under the influence.

Also, my IQ drops about 20 points when I'm drunk. So my RPing would undoubtedly suffer.

This is a projection of what might happen:
Sober RP
"I use my bluff to try to convince the mayor that my friend is NOT a Theif, and it was all a case of mistaken identity."
Drunk RP
"I KICK THA MAYOR IN THA NUTS! HAW HAW HAW!!!"

And then the entire party ends up in the town's jail cell. :p

Because I have more fun when sober. I did my heavy drinking/partying my senior year of undergrad. Going to a gaming session while hungover is NOT fun. So I guess technically I was still under the influence.

Also, my IQ drops about 20 points when I'm drunk. So my RPing would undoubtedly suffer.

This is a projection of what might happen:
Sober RP
"I use my bluff to try to convince the mayor that my friend is NOT a Theif, and it was all a case of mistaken identity."
Drunk RP
"I KICK THA MAYOR IN THA NUTS! HAW HAW HAW!!!"

And then the entire party ends up in the town's jail cell. :p

ROFL! Great reason!

Yeah, it took forever for me to live down the whole "I wish for a goat for my giant snake mount to eat" incident. I COULD have wished for +5 armor for my snake, but noooooooooo! I wished for a goat. While hungover. So of course, major battle crops up, snake dies because it has no armor. DURRR. For the next few months all my friends did was look at me blankly and say "A goat."

Yeah, it took forever for me to live down the whole "I wish for a goat for my giant snake mount to eat" incident. I COULD have wished for +5 armor for my snake, but noooooooooo! I wished for a goat. While hungover. So of course, major battle crops up, snake dies because it has no armor. DURRR. For the next few months all my friends did was look at me blankly and say "A goat."

Yeah, but just think how great a story you have now! All of the stupid stuff our group did was not due to alcohol consumption.

DM: "The weapon shop has all of these open cases with all of these weapons just laying there in the open."
Thief: <gives me a meaningful look>
Me: <shrugs>
DM: "As you look over the weapons in the cases, the shop owner doesn't seem to be paying much attention."
Thief: "Should I steal a dagger?"
Me: "Nah. The shopkeeper's making it too easy."
DM: "The shopkeeper excuses himself and goes into the backroom, leaving alone with all of his inventory."
Thief: "WTF?"
Me: "I think he WANTS us to steal something."
Thief: "Sure seems that way, doesn't it?"
Me: "What the hell? Go for it."
Thief: "Ok"
Thief to the DM: I pocket a dagger.
DM: "What?"
Thief to the DM: I pocket a dagger.
DM: "You can't be serious."
Theif to DM: "Sure. Why not?"
DM: "You guys suck! Why would you steal from this shop?"

We were playing The Keep on the Borderlands. I never figured out why the DM played it that way, but every one of us players thought the DM was trying to get us to steal something. When we did, the DM got pissed and scrapped the whole town as we would have gotten thrown in the dungeon.

...wow, a DM with issues. Who knew? *snicker* Just about every DM I've had has gotten pissy about stupid things. Of course, just about all of them were social outcasts who clung to any position of power they got, too.

...kind of sad, really. :(

....but then, every once in a while, you get a truly great DM/GM.

The guy who GM'd our Traveller campaign back when I was in college, Mike Marsh, was such a GM. He was no social outcast, nope; he was even-handed and a brilliant universe designer. He tailored the threats we faced, based on the consistency and abilities of our team, to make things more interesting and challenging.
Man, those were fun days. We'd take over a classroom and game from 3pm or so until campus security kicked us out.

Those adventures would make a helluva book series; pity most of the game details are lost now. At one time, I was going to write something up. :(

for those who may be familiar with the layout of UnderMountain, here is a map of the areas my new group was able to explore yesterday during our inaugural session:

umcampaignsession1nr9.jpg

for those unfamiliar with UnderMountain, let's just say that the map above covers about 1/100th of the published map areas. :zombie:

here was my first review as a rusty old DM back in the saddle:

Our first campaign session went GREAT IMO. :D I had a really good time and [Hoyt] did a fantastic job of hosting. I am really looking forward to our next get together. After DM'img multiple Undermountain campaign's myself, it sure was refreshing to actually be a player inside this most excellent dungeon.

Knowing all too well the immense size of Undermountain, it was humbling to realize how little of the complex we explored in the 5 hours we played. It would literally take YEARS to explore the depths in their entirety.

so I guess we're off to a good start. We plan to meet again before the end of May and once or twice a month through the summer. I plan to work on a campaign journal that I will share with my fellow gamers here. So watch for that in the coming weeks.

Take care and... oh, hey - OrbWeaver... I second that motion about a ProgPower AD&D game. :headbang:

:heh:

Is UnderMountain anything like The World's Largest Dungeon Crawl? I was playing that when I was at Bradley, and got maybe 15% through it before I graduated.

actually UnderMountain was published in 1991, and was created from the original dungeon setting for the games ran by Ed Greenwood himself (the creator of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting).

I've never seen the 'World's Largest Dungeon Crawl', but from what I understand by comparison it is much larger than UnderMountain but wasn't as well written or structured. Granted, I'm going on a couple of people's opinions who have seen each published item.

:)