Gear on Torn

jerm__

Ezerath
Jul 18, 2006
Alright so i'll try to keep this short.

On Evergrey's site they say they use a Mesa preamp with a Peavey poweramp. However, in the preview videos for Torn, you could see an ENGL Savage and Peavey 5150.

I would just like to know which amps were used while recording and what tuning the 7 strings are in.

Thanks a lot :cheers:

Hi!

It's not a Savage, it is an Invader, because of the blue switch. That has only the Invader so far I know. And in the videos burnt only the blue Invader light.
I think the Boogie is for live because it's very versatile. I friend of mine meant they could use some digital stuff live, because sometimes it sounds so.

Anyways, I'm interested too.

best regards

Judging from previous Evergrey tunings, I think it safe to say the 7 string songs on Torn will be BEADGBE (standard) or AEADGBE (drop A).

See first post...
"I would just like to know which amps were used while recording and what tuning the 7 strings are in."

Hi!

It's not a Savage, it is an Invader, because of the blue switch. That has only the Invader so far I know. And in the videos burnt only the blue Invader light.
I think the Boogie is for live because it's very versatile. I friend of mine meant they could use some digital stuff live, because sometimes it sounds so.

Anyways, I'm interested too.

best regards

Its not an Invader, I know because I have one 6 feet from me :D

They don't use the Boogie live anymore, they've been using 5150's for single tour dates, and then on the last tour I saw them on, they were using Pod XT Lives.

I'll be interested to see what they are using on this tour.

But yeah, its definitely a 5150 and an Engl Savage.

truely a savage?

they play line 6??? but how get they that sound with it? Do they use a booster? And why line 6? I mean, they can take anything...
I don't like line 6. I tried it for recording and I often played the pod pro. I wonder that Tom and Henrik can get their sounds from this stuff. But you can try to persuade me from opposite ;-)
sorry for my english, it's to late/early for that challenge ;-))

Yep definitely a Savage, I wouldn't say it was if it wasn't :)

In terms of why they used Line6 live? Simple, which is easier to take on tour, a full amp and cab rig and effects and the works.....or a floor pedal?

I hate Line6 myself, but I'm considering getting an XT Live for when my band starts touring, for the very same reason.

They used absolutely nothing but an XT Live when I saw them live, just guitar > XT > PA

When I saw them live with the XT's, they sounded noticeably duller from when they use 5150's live, however once they got going, no-one cared that the tone wasn't quite their usual, which is the thing you have to consider.

How many people really care if you are using a modeller, and how many care about seeing Evergrey?

Oh and one other thing, tunings. The album seems to have a lot of Bb rather than B standard on the 7 string (I'm tabbing out Fear currently, and thats in Bb).

I think one is in Drop A too.

Torn sounds 100% 5150 to me. Just because the ENGL was sitting there does not mean it was being used for the album. They also have been using the 5150 live for a while now.

If they used the PODXT live, they probably used it for the fairly decent 5150 amp model in it and ease of travel. I remember when I playing around with a POD that I was able to nail the tone on Monday Morning Apocalypse. But that's not saying much is it? ;)

Torn sounds 100% 5150 to me. Just because the ENGL was sitting there does not mean it was being used for the album. They also have been using the 5150 live for a while now.

If they used the PODXT live, they probably used it for the fairly decent 5150 amp model in it and ease of travel. I remember when I playing around with a POD that I was able to nail the tone on Monday Morning Apocalypse. But that's not saying much is it? ;)
Ya im not too fond of the tone on Monday Morning Apocalypse also. However if you watch the studio videos, the Savage is the amp thats turned on, not the 5150. What they probably ended up doing was mixing the 5150 with the ENGL, like on Fiction by Dark Tranquillity and my band :D

Thats funny, cos I know the Engl sound like the back of my hand, and it sounds that the Engl was AT LEAST in their somewhere, if not the majority of the sound.

I am willing to bet it was a 5150/Engl mix, or even Tom thru the Engl, Henrik thru the 5150

To ease your minds ; )
It is actually the Engl Savage thru the power-amp of the 5150.
And some solos are with that set-up and some solos are with a POD live xt..
Henrik adds a bunch of pedals like wah wah and chorus etc...
there you go.
Best
Tom

To ease your minds ; )
It is actually the Engl Savage thru the power-amp of the 5150.
And some solos are with that set-up and some solos are with a POD live xt..
Henrik adds a bunch of pedals like wah wah and chorus etc...
there you go.
Best
Tom

Thanks for the clarification Tom.

You should be really proud of the guitar tones on Torn. A million times better than MMA.

I've always loved Evergrey's guitar sound, and really love the sound they've got on Torn.

Slightly unrelated, but I've been thinking of getting myself an Engl Fireball recently, can any Engl fans here advise on whether I can get a good Evergrey like sound (I suppose similar to a Savage) out of a Fireball?

I have the Engl Powerball V2 and I am pretty satisfied with it. Its not the perfect amp but its the best I've heard so far in person. I would say if you can afford it get top of the line Invader or Special edition head. As far as the fireball goes. I considered buying it as well because it was the cheapest but I spoke with Per from Scar Symmetry and he told me that they are only used for rhythm that the lead sound was not so great. But he recommended the powerball so thats why i own one now. If your trying to get a good Evergrey lead sound with maybe an external eq pedal you can match it cause you wont get that amount of clarity without one. Hope that helps man.

I've got a Boss GT-6 for effects at the moment, and will upgrade to the newer model with the amp switching feature so I can use any EQ and effects on that. I was impressed when I heard a Fireball, but now I've heard the Powerball and was even more impressed! I expect the more expensive they get, the more I'll like it! Thanks for the info, I'm going to keep saving now and then start looking around :p

Wahoo! Lucky me! I've been trawling through second hand ads and stumbled across a freshly listed one for an Engl Savage E660SE and managed to haggle it to a bargain price! I can't believe my luck!
Picked it up yesterday and still can't get the smile off my face:D

I'll see what I can do, I may see if Tom can take a look if he has the time (doubt it, but you never know), I know there are mistakes but it doesn't sound too far away from the album.