Gear suggestions?

Mr Dominoe

Reverb Junkie
Aug 25, 2011
Southern US
Hey guys, first time poster here.

I'm getting close to having enough gear to record a decent sounding demo/album. So far I've got a Peavey Transtube 100w head, two Peavey 4x12 cabs running stereo (both with Celestions), a Schecter Damien 6 dropped to B standard, a Line 6 UX2 input device, and I'm using FL Studio as my DAW. Saturday I'm getting my first SM57 and a boss EQ pedal (to unmuddy my tone a bit). Is there anything else I need/should get? I'm using the amp's own distortion and reverb and I have a slight chorus that I use on the clean channel. I play mostly progressive metal if that helps any...Mastodon, Opeth, Katatonia, Devin Townsend, Animals as Leaders, and Meshuggah have been huge influences on me lately. Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

whats your current monitor/room-setup?

if you have halfway decent monitors, i would spend some money for acoustic-treatment of your room(s). way more important than expensive guitar-cables.

cheers, markus

whats your current monitor/room-setup?

I don't have any monitors yet, I'm EQ'ing/mixing everything through a pair of Sony MDR-XB500. And the acoustics of my room are a bit terrible...drywall and faux hardwood flooring. I plan to hang some thick curtains around the walls to reign the sound in a bit before recording. Would that work?

What are you looking for out of your rig that you're not getting?

I'm mostly in need of a little bit more crunch and clarity and a decent effects unit. The gain on the Transtube Supreme is great at normal tunings but can get a little muddy around drop B. Is there a way to clean up the tone a bit without buying a different head?

Sony MDR-XB500 are terrible terrible mixing headphones. Before you buy any new gear go buy a pair of studio monitors that is PRIORITY in my opinion. I bet your room isn't that bad either i've done a bunch of mixes in horrible rooms and they all turned out better then anything i've ever mixed on headphones just read the manual and set them up the best you can i promise you it will make your mixes 75% better!

I don't like any amp Peavey ever made except the 5150/6505s, but that's a matter of taste. What are you looking for out of your rig that you're not getting? If you're looking for more/better gear, the head is where I'd start.

Peavey have made plenty of decent amps other than the 5150/6505. XXX,JSX, Windsor, Rockmaster pre to name but a few.

I'm mostly in need of a little bit more crunch and clarity and a decent effects unit. The gain on the Transtube Supreme is great at normal tunings but can get a little muddy around drop B. Is there a way to clean up the tone a bit without buying a different head?

Um ......... thinking .......... oh, got it!
Great leads and a MAXON 808!

Here ya go, watch this ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Since your monitoring won't be great, you're going to have to be pretty lucky to get the best tone out of your amp / mic combo.
Regardless of that - a boost pedal (like the Maxon, Ts9, OD-1 etc) should be able to help you out.
Once you're into your DAW, EQ and multiband compression will be your friend.

KRK's midrange is a little strange, wouldn't recommend them for metal(I had Rokits 5 and am now on VXT 6's).

Would rather look at the Yammis(50/80)...