Gender in metal

TechNoir

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2007
UK
Hey guys/girls,

I'm currently working on a project for my degree, on gender in music-culture. Naturally, I picked the metal genre as my main focus point.

Part of my work involves discussing and questioning the metal community, with regard to their own views on metal music and the metal subculture. I was wondering whether you lot wouldn't mind spending a few minutes filling in the short questionnaire below. At the end, please feel free to put anything else you feel is worth mentioning.

1) Gender:
2) What are your favourite metal bands and why?
3) How do you feel you fit into the metal subculture? For example, do you go to gigs? Play in a band? Participate in the metal community/fanzines? Or just listen to it at home?
4) How would you describe the way you dress? Is it similar to what people tend to perceive as a typical metal fan?
5) Why do you think there is a female fanbase for the metal genre, taking into consideration its masculine attributes and relative scale of male musicianship (next to many other popular genres)?

Thanks!

1) Male
2) -Necrophagist-I love the technical riffs,vocals and Brutality.
-Akercocke-They instill a perfect atmosphere for me, i just enjoy listening to everything they've put out
-Mayhem-For me, they create the perfect,all-around black metal atmosphere.
-Gorguts- I have always been a fan of Obscure music, such as Tom Waits etc, and Gorguts were just a natural transition in metal, for me

3)Well I go to gigs regularly,and I also play live with my bands.
I am constantly searching for new metal bands, which is probably one of my favorite past times.I also try to participate in this forum as frequently as i can, when i don't have something idiotic to say for once.

4)I have lots of metal shirts but usually i just wear nicer pants and my Wool-Coat or Trenchcoat.

5)I think a large part of it is because of the female fronted bands,(arch enemy,Lacuna Coil etc), which made more females confident to "step up" and just do what the feel like doing;which is listening/playing metal.
Lots of people enjoy metal,thats just how it is. Gender doesn't matter.

1) Male

2) Borknagar, Emperor, and Limbonic Art. I am a fan of symphonic black metal and "epic" songwriting. I like this genre the best it surrounds me with atmosphere while at the same time channeling my aggression, as black metal should do. Plus it adds complexity and influences from classical music, which I am a big fan of. By adding the symphonic aspect, I can get more out of the music given its depth.

3) I consider myself a member of metal culture. I tend to dress like the typical metalhead. I have long hair and prefer to wear black. I attend gigs whenever possible and I like to share my musical interests with my acquaintances. Being a member of this forum is another major expression of my devotion to metal fandom. Oh and I do vocals and bass for a two-man black metal band.

4) Yes, but not exclusively. My typical dress is a black band shirt, jeans or camo pants, and hiking boots. I find this look to represent the typical metalhead without the excesses of piercings/chains/bullet belts/spikes etc.

5) Metal is traditionally a nonconformist genre. While there a plenty of women in metal, social trends have shown that females are more likely to submit to cultural conformity than men. I wish that women were less susceptible to conformity so that metal could have a balanced genre ratio. There aren't enough metal chicks to go around for all us male metallers!

1) Gender: Male

2) What are your favourite metal bands and why? Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, At the Gates, Slayer, Mayhem. They are all innovators, leaders and the absolute pinnacles of their respective genres. Although, there are other bands I'd prefer over Mayhem, they are the best of the Black Metal genre. Otherwise the others are my favourite bands.

3) How do you feel you fit into the metal subculture? For example, do you go to gigs? Play in a band? Participate in the metal community/fanzines? Or just listen to it at home? I wouldn't say I necessarily "fit" into the genre, in the truest sense of the word as I feel I have little to nothing in common with most listeners. But my participation in the community reaches from helping run an online webzine, writing articles for a paper-based 'zine, posting here, buying music and going to concerts (in Aus).

4) How would you describe the way you dress? Is it similar to what people tend to perceive as a typical metal fan? I dress appropriately. If I'm at work, that means a suit and tie. If I'm at home on the weekend, trackies and a shirt. Otherwise, it depends on what I'm doing ... I don't look like a "typical" metal fan.

5) The metal genre is often thought of as being male-dominated and aggressive, why is it then do you think that there is a large female fanbase? Depends on your perspective really. I think metal is open to all sorts of people, provided you are open-minded enough to give it a chance and you have the right environment to develop an appreciation for it (no matter how trivial it may be). As such, females are going to be just as exposed to it as men from a fanbase perspective. Metal has the perception of being male dominated because it is, even with a large female fan base. But it's no different to the fact that there is probably a large female fanbase in motor racing, football etc. all of which would be male dominated.

1) Male

2)i like a lot of death/grind/black and some doom metal, as well as a few thrash bands. Carcass is probably my favorite (at least for now) mostly cus of their stuff off necroticism, just like the whole sound the album had, as well as heartwork and their earlier stuff.

3)well ive gone to concerts, and play guitar in a "band", wanna get a pitchshifter to do some goregrind stuff or somthin just for fun. just about all my money goes into metal cd's,shirts, and other merch as well as stuff for my guitars. i constantly look for other bands within genres that i enjoy, and also ones from genres that i havnt heard a lot from. i listen to it all the time and post in metal forums online (obviously).

4)mostly just band shirts and jeans, every once and a while ill just wear a plain color t-shirt. not into all the belts vests and spikes or anything. not sure if youd say its the typical metalhead look, but hey it fits me.

5) pretty much what panzerfaust666 said about the female fronted bands and stuff, lets um see that it isnt something that only guys can enjoy.

1) Gender: Male
Cathedral, Opeth, Agalloch

Cathedral are an excellent example of going to extremes in what they do. No death growls or double bass mind blasting drumming, just often bizarre, groovy, loud doom metal with an madman at the lead. They are bloody entertaining to listen to.

Opeth I feel are great at what they do as they seem to realise that ranges of emotion can be conveyed through application of both soft and harsh music styles. Really, the power you feel through the growls and harsh song writing is only emphasized by the contrast with softer interludes and the poetic lyrics. It's something that bands outside of metal never really seem to grasp - how the growls and unsavoury sounds hat we can use our voices to make can add power and emotion to songs when used well. It's why I listen to a lot of metal really...

Agalloch are another band that I like for reasons similar to Opeth - they create some quite beautiful, desolate music that the vocals only add atmosphere to. There's something n I enjoy about listening to melancholy and dark music that you can't often get from the mainstream.

Overall, I listen to metal to get what the mainstream in music often lacks. Dark, melancholy songs stuffed with atmosphere and sound that let's you sink into the music if you take the time to just listen. Why people can't often bear harsh vocals and dismiss them all as trash is beyond me in all honesty...
Or...I can also listen just to get something absurdly loud and awesome.

3) How do you feel you fit into the metal subculture? For example, do you go to gigs? Play in a band? Participate in the metal community/fanzines? Or just listen to it at home?

I just listen to it at home. Most of the people I know seem to actively dislike most metal with anything like harsh vocals in it, which is annoying, but that's not going to stop me listening to the music that I find the most satisfaction in.

4) How would you describe the way you dress? Is it similar to what people tend to perceive as a typical metal fan?

The only 'metal' fashion I have is my own hair, which is long. I actually quite like long hair for men anyways, and I don't see why I should cut it :p I am often found in only jeans and a t-shirt, but they aren't usually 'metal' looking and I abhor hoodies of all kinds. I usually try to look tidier/smarter whilst maintaining comfort :)

5) The metal genre is often thought of as being male-dominated and aggressive, why is it then do you think that there is a large female fanbase?

People are bound to identify with some of the music, regardless of sex. Aside from that, the female species is a mystery to me and I don't know any who listen to metal myself.

Whoops, I went on a bit.

1) Male.

2) Favorite metal bands, huh?
  • Burzum - My first exposure to black metal, this band just covers a lot of musical ground; be it the noisy, minimalist style of Filosofem, or the fast and agressive Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, it's just good all around.
  • Black Sabbath - The forefathers of metal as we know it. I'm partial to the Ozzy-era myself, just because I like the darker atmosphere as shown on the first 6 albums.
  • Children of Bodom - The harmonizing, the riffs, the solos, the atmosphere that this band creates, is all perfect. IMO, a really innovative and unique speed metal band.
  • Emperor - I really don't know why I like Emperor so much. They just seem to strike a chord with me. Might be the same reason as Bodom; the atmosphere the band creates, I just love it. Dark, raw metal at it's near finest.
  • Necrophagist - Panzerfaust666 put it perfectly for me; I love the brutality, the vocals, all the different riffs strealed through the songs.

3) Mainly, I just dress the part (band t-shirts, jeans, and running shoes; nothing too special), and regularly check out new bands to share with my metalhead friends. It's fun just showing each other all the good shit we've found.

4) Depends on what people would consider a "typical metal fan". I think most people where I live would consider metalheads those "extreme" types that wear piercings and studded wristbands and all that jazz; I don't really take it that far. Supporting my favorite bands by wearing a band t-shirt is good enough for me. Not to mention, my hair is long, but not as long as your "typical metalhead".

5) I think one of the reasons more females are getting into metal, might be the diversity in the genre; there's a fairly large amount of beautiful, melodic bands (like Bodom and Wintersun, to use as examples), as well as the extreme, brutal stuff, for them to choose from. I think it's a good thing; with metal, there's always something for anyone, male or female.

1) Male
2) Napalm Death, Carcass, Repulsion and Agathocles, I am a huge grindcore/death metal fan and the aggression and the blastbeats just seem to appeal to me for some unknown reason.
3) I do several solo projects, I co-run a label with a friend into metal. I try to go to as many gigs as possible, even without the benefit of a driver's license.
4)just a t-shirt and jeans guy, although I have a patch vest I wear to gigs.
5) I disagree. women aren't programmed from birth to accept such aggressive and atonal music. its still a largely male dominated culture and I don't see that changing any time soon. plus, IMO, most (not all) women tend to have bad taste.
then again, there are your exceptions, which I welcome wholeheartedly.

male

Primordial and Mourning Beloveth - because they play the most heartfelt, moving music

I listen to tons of metal (and I don't listen to anything besides metal), and am familiar with many very underground extreme metal bands.

I don't dress metal at all. I have short hair and I don't wear band shirts.

As far as I know, metal (at least extreme metal) doesn't have a large female fan base. There are many many more male metalheads than female ones.

1) Male
2) Devourment, Nachtmystium, Suffocation. They are my favorites because I like them the most :p.
3) I'm in a band with Zephyrus. I also write for Slam-Minded Blog(which you all should read!!). Beyond that I am pretty typical in my buying/show going habits.
4)I wear metal shirts and jeans mostly. Beyond that nothing that would be described as metal.
5) The metal genre IS male dominated and aggressive. 99.99% of all metal musicians are men. There are of course numerous female fans, but I think it is more socially acceptable for males to like this style of music than females. It would be nice if more people of either gender liked metal though.

What's with everyone listing Necrophagist?
1) Male

2)Top 3 favorite bands would be Opeth, Pantera and Porcupine Tree. Opeth is one of those bands that I will never get sick of (and can never listen to enough of). Ditto with Porcupine Tree.

3)I listen to every genre of metal besides power metal. I consider myself to be very open minded. Anyone who has read my "Last 5 Albums I Listened To" thread would agree with that. I also listen to a shitton of Classic Rock and Prog. I've been playing guitar for 12 years now and used to be in a Southern Rock/Metal ala Down type band.

4) I dress like a normal dude I guess. Pretty much the only band shirts I wear are Opeth and Thurisaz.

5) Certainly there are not enough women into metal/playing metal. I've been to 200+ concerts and never met a cool metal chick. Most of them are haggard coke whores.

1) Male
Metal is traditionally a nonconformist genre. While there a plenty of women in metal, social trends have shown that females are more likely to submit to cultural conformity than men. I wish that women were less susceptible to conformity so that metal could have a balanced genre ratio. There aren't enough metal chicks to go around for all us male metallers!

this is exactly the reason The United States isn't as accepting of metal as other countries. more women than men live in the US.

1) Gender:
Male

This is actually one of the hardest questions for me, seeing as I don't have a ranking for particular bands and whatnot; I love folk and doom, and quite enjoy brutality and kvlt grimness. It honestly depends on my mood - one day I will be all about Nortt and Thergothon, and the next be balls over Digested Flesh and Lymphatic Phlegm. Hell, even power metal grabs me by the juevos when the mood is right.

Well, I used to write for a metal mag and do compose my own music. I've been in about three bands (went nowhere btw, shitty members/life problems - take your pick), and am still a vocalist looking for work. Shows are fun and all, but I can't stand the majority of people (most who act like dumbasses). I also can't stand how the majority of "meatlheads" (sic) act, they're very into the "scene" portion of things - and in all honesty, it's quite embarrassing/disgusting. I've been running a few fansites here and there (the only notable one being Bak De Syv Fjell's myspace) along with various band logos for those who ask - due to these things not being in any way tied with my main source of income though, they have taken a back seat as of late :erk:

I wear jeans, and plain shirts usually (I do have a few band shirts though); jackets are a preference of mine and I usually wear one all the time (standard military jackets usually - built strong and last long). Boots are also preferred, because I basically destroy shoes very easily. I don't try to dress metal, I just find jeans + shirt + jacket to be comfortable. The only thing that could really be stereotypical about me would be the long hair & facial hair.

5) The metal genre is often thought of as being male-dominated and aggressive, why is it then do you think that there is a large female fanbase?
I wouldn't say there is a large female fanbase if you compare the metal population between men and women, but I will admit that the females that are present are not very... well, stereotypical of their counterparts in other subcultures. Take Dana of Demonic Christ, or Mary Abaza of Merlin; they both have a take-no-shit attitude that dwarfs many of their male counterparts; and it's not as if all bands with females are melodic; take Gallhammer or even Monarch as prime examples (or Merlin and Demonic Christ).

this is exactly the reason The United States isn't as accepting of metal as other countries. more women than men live in the US.

which would be a good thing if they liked metalheads instead of gangsters, fags, and jocks.

nah, that won't happen. we're too "weird" and "creepy", whatever the fuck thats supposed to mean.

nah, that won't happen. we're too "weird" and "creepy", whatever the fuck thats supposed to mean.

yeah really, i mean after all guys saggin their pants and walkin around holdin their crotch is just how "normal" people act lol

yeah really, i mean after all guys saggin their pants and walkin around holdin their crotch is just how "normal" people act lol

yea, really. 8 years after Columbine and these "normal" people think we're gonna shoot up the fucking school or harm people or ourselves. In reality, most of us are just regular dudes who like it hard and heavy.

yea, really. 8 years after Columbine and these "normal" people think we're gonna shoot up the fucking school or harm people or ourselves. In reality, most of us are just regular dudes who like it hard and heavy.

that could be takin really really wrong lol, but i know what you meant