Heavy Metal Community

I wasn't aware that metalheads were notorious conspiracy theory devotees. Is that part of how the media portrays us? Your responses are quite short as well, there. ;)

The media portrys metalheads as rednecks dropout kids which is stupid. Someone on Yahoo Anwsers was saying how they just watch wrestling:zombie: and that not true since I hate wrestling nowadays.

I agree w/ Cythraul's 1, 2 and 4, but I think the general opinion on metalheads is that they're more of some sort of nerdy geeks or something. I personally hold a big distance from this and I don't wear metal clothes at all. I don't think it's because media affect me though, it's just that I don't like the metal "dress in shitty black clothes w/ album covers on it" shit at all.

1. What do you love about metal as a genre?

I listen to a lot of other genres but there is simply nothing compared to metal when done correctly. Nothing matches the passion and compositional abilities of good metal imo.

2. Do you feel there is a community within heavy
metal fans?

Other than a small internet following, I wouldn't say there is much of a metal community anymore (especially of the old school vein).

3.How do they feel you (as a metal fan) is perceived by the media?

I don't really pay attention but I'm assuming the media still views metal fans as angsty high school drop-outs, or something. I do think a lot of people very heavily into the genre are a lot smarter than the stereotype would imply, though.

4. Are you affected by the media’s view on the genre?

I could care less.

a) 20
b) Unemployed
c) Ohio
d) White/Caucasian

1 - I love how independent music Metal can be (in terms of freedom of speech, songwriting and musical expression). It feels great listening to bands which play with real passion and don't care about the mainstream media or the masses. Of course, I've always loved the way Metal sounds, it's by far the best kind of music there is.

2 - There is a fairly big community in Sao Paulo, gigs are usually packed, there's a pretty cool "Metal Mall" downtown where people hang out, grab some beer, buy their cds/lps, t-shirts, etc. There are also a few "Metal Pubs". Every year a good group of fans travel together to big events like Wacken.

3 - Our media pretends we don't even exist, so I don't really care. They only cover huge events (like Iron Maiden or Metallica gigs) and usually mention us as rebels or crazy junkies (when they mention us, which is rare).

4 - I don't care, really. There's the specialized media which releases magazines and covers most events, so that's what counts. We have two major magazines (one of them pretty decent)and a lot of small ones available every month.

a) 32
b) Account Officer at a brazilian bank
c) Sao Paulo, Brazil
d) White (portuguese, italian and french mix :lol:)