speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Are men becoming more like women, and women more like men? Metrosexual male behavior is off the charts--example, male cosmetics have doubled every year and are now a billion dollar industry. Yet masculine female behavior is off the charts as well. Women are foregoing motherhood, and becoming male-like in their pursuit of money and professional jobs. Will mankind in the future become almost asexual in gender roles? Is there even gender? Is gender just a societal construct as many studies suggest?

Here's an interesting article on this subject:

It's hard to be a dude these days

My god, I nearly had an unhinged keyboard-banging episode reading Laura Sessions Stepp's piece in today's Washington Post. Stepp is known for her throwback theories on collegiate mating rituals -- namely that young women today are "hooking up" and tuning out emotionally. So, naturally, her study of what it means nowadays to be a man focuses on ... young women.

Stepp argues that "while catching up with or surpassing men at school and at their first jobs, young women have dumped much of the feminine to embrace the masculine traits that they think represent success." This has left guys totally gender-confused, she says -- the "boy crisis" seems to have segued into the "masculinity crisis." She reports that young men (note, those who feel especially secure in their manliness and heterosexuality) are increasingly exploring the feminine. They're supposedly waxing their chests, wearing pastel polos, and hug, rather than high-five, their guy friends. (Newsflash: The so-called metrosexual trend was recognized, I.D.'d and exhaustively written about, like, five years ago.)

Her main argument seems to be that women -- the gatekeepers of sexuality -- have carelessly thrown their legs wide open, offering free entry to any and every guy who crosses their path. This rewriting of the mating ritual has left men mystified over what it means exactly to be a man. "The young man who desires a particular young woman has always had to work for her affection, but years ago he knew what he was supposed to do: Ask her out, pick her up and take her home, times 10," writes Stepp. "Today, as likely as not, there is no date. She will drive herself, meet up with him and either offer to pay for herself or insist on paying. She may bolt later, or they may land in bed the same night, but chances are he won't have a clue why either happened."

It isn't just the sex thing, either -- young women are outperforming boys in the world at large. In her view, girls are busy planning to take over corporations, while guys are playing their Nintendo Wii. She cites Calvin Sandborn -- author of "Becoming the Kind Father" -- who believes men of his generation "may have been too macho, but they also were more self-assured." Why? They didn't "have women chasing after the same professional degrees and salaries that they wanted in anything approaching today's numbers," writes Stepp. Now they've got some competition -- which is a good thing for both sexes, right?

Wrong. "In trying to empower the girls, we implicitly sent a message that the guys were not as good," says Sanborn. "Women succeeded in creating positive new roles for themselves. What we haven't come up with is what a positive image of a man would be." Ooh boy -- there are two parts to that Sanborn sound bite that need to be addressed. First, how in the world does empowering a historically disadvantaged group send the message that they are superior to any other group? It should send the message that they're simply worthy of equal treatment. I will, however, give credit to his second point -- there aren't anywhere near enough positive images of masculinity out there. But, c'mon now, the guidelines for appropriate masculinity have always been restrictive and unfair -- so have the rules for properly performing femininity (which Stepp has tirelessly tried to resuscitate).

Ultimately, Stepp concedes that men are allowed to embrace both the masculine and the feminine. But, wait a minute; it seems women are still forced to choose one or the other. (In her framework, the feminine for true happiness, the masculine for professional achievement.) Young men are sadly confused by the changing customs, she seems to believe, and women have simply made the wrong of two choices.

As a member of the generation that has so sparked Stepp's interest, I find her observations not only inaccurate but insulting and (um, ironically) paternalistic.

It seems the (rough) working definition of gender in most gender and feminist theory I have come across is the social significance of sexual difference. Gender is the conceptualization of the meaning of difference in biological sex.

This implies that not only is gender partly constructed but that factual sexual difference partly conditions gender construction. Take gestation for example. One could correctly say that a large part of the construction of gender roles socio-economically is due to the mother carrying and feeding the child- the basis for the construct may simply be a result of sexual difference, but the way society often takes hold of it and exaggerates or de-emphasizes it is largely the product of (the warping of) ideologies (ex: women give birth, are physically less powerful, etc., therefore they are mentally inferior, fit for washing dishes, folding linens, and unfit for thinking- none of which follows necessarily from the fact of sexual difference alone (which we can never "exactly" determine) and is certainly constructed (usually motivated by strategic power goals). Note: "constructed" does not necessarily mean "incorrect", but I would argue that in the example above it most certainly is.

In terms of the excerpts/summary speed posted, I definitely agree with him that Stepp's commentary is inaccurate and solidly paternalistic! As I see it, the gender roles she sets as "foundational" (or "proper") were largely constructed (especially by economics) as well. Is it any surprise that in the era of the "free market" the restricting market effect of exclusive gender roles would be upturned? Why sell make-up to only half the population? How much more profit can be made if men wear pink too? If women need suit tailors and leather briefcases as well? The list goes on and on as humanity generally is shaped into (first and foremost) the consumer.

I don't think much has changed in the methodology of gender construction. What has changed is the amount of influence "economic forces" have on it, which is enormous, whereas in the past things like tradition, religion, and other uniting organizations (especially on the local level) would be exerting comparable pressures.

The only thing im really noticing is that women are becoming more empowered, and unfortunatly leaving their traditional roles as women.

Men havent changed in my opinion. There have always been a clear distinction between classes, and often differences in class are dependent on material goods. So whats new? Baby boomers are rich compared to their blue collared working grandparents, and not only are they spending more on their image, but more importantly their kids are. Its not as hard to buy a 200 etro shirt or some D&G jeans now, because most people can afford that stuff, and why look like a trucker when you can look like a big shot? This whole metrosexuality rubbish is nothing new, the rich always like fashion and style(which is largly the premise i believe of metrosexuality).

I think women tried to have it all maybe a decade or two ago but then proved that its just not possible to run a business and have children and run a home successfully and simultaneously. After a while the cracks begin to show, you cant have a high powered job if youve been up all night with a crying baby! Men seem confused today as to their roles, but basically I think they are just the same as they have ever been. I have noticed though a new 'trend' in men especially the over 40's to act camp or effeminate even though they are apparently straight.

I dont get it, what so feminine about how men are acting now adays? The fact that we arent buying our clothing from sears? Or that we arent as insecure about our sexuality? Im straight, but that doesnt mean im gonna run away from being stylish just because there is some perception that being classy is fruity. And trust me, classy chicks dig this whole metro bullshit.

I totally agree with Justin S about commercially driven trends being everything to do with it. This also includes women being encourage into the workforce in the first place. When it was expected for a woman to be a housewife and mother, her husband's wage would have to be enough to allow for this. But when women started coming into the workforce, family size was dropping and the man no longer needed to earn as much. Women were prepared to work for less - and so the employer could bring down wages, compared with what he would otherwise be asked for. Immigration also has this effect. And the immigrants are "needed" because the women don't have the time or the money to have enough children as workers for the next generation. Gradually the whole society becomes enslaved.

The commercial trend to make men and women so similar that they all want to buy products previously marketed at the opposite sex, such as Justin S gave examples of, extends to demasculising men further by encouraging removal of hair, including on their heads and balls. Many men now wish to remove all the hair on their bodies (which is crazy enough in women, but makes some sense if hairiness is associated with masculinity).
Real men should have beards, if they can grow them, and have all their hair as it should be. The Taliban have got that right. Actually, that would make women less compelled to remove their hair for fear of being hairer than their boyfriend. That whole trend is neurotic. The trouble is that humans are so screwed up and used to being freaks that most western women apparantly are not into beards (okay I admit its annoying kissing an overhanging moustache). Statistically women like a bit of stubble on a man (but that's even worse because it can be like snogging sandpaper).
Anyway - these problems are not going to be resolved until men look more like men and women stop being as easy to get sexually, which devalues them in mens' eyes. The commercial trends will see to it that the herd never takes this advice, since it would be disastrous for corporations and for the economy.
But this whole society is built like a house of cards and one day it must fall. How can it lead to anything else but a fall?

I dont get it, what so feminine about how men are acting now adays? The fact that we arent buying our clothing from sears? Or that we arent as insecure about our sexuality? Im straight, but that doesnt mean im gonna run away from being stylish just because there is some perception that being classy is fruity. And trust me, classy chicks dig this whole metro bullshit.

No I think its great when men wear good clothes and generally look after themselves, I actually dont like 'macho men':heh: Maybe I didnt explain properly..I was referring to men Ive seen around and also mixed with with who claim to be straight, but you would swear are gay, not to do with clothes or appearance but more in their ways, the way they talk and the just the general ambience of them. This is what I'd noticed recently and its more in my age group eg 40 plus.

Well, they probably are gay, 1/10 are supposed to be. Or perhaps are just hanging out with too many chicks.

Eh, the idea of interchangeable roles is as old as Shakespeare (at least). There you have men acting as women, and even men acting as women who end up acting like men (Cf. Lady Macbeth, Goneril&Regan, and Portia).

In my opinion, modern society has taken on more of this idea of 'gender as a construct,' as a role one plays, and that these roles are interchangeable. I'm not sure how beneficial this is, but it appears to me what has happened.

What about pre-revolutionary france, the blue bloods were notorious in their flamboyant behavior and fashion.

It seems the (rough) working definition of gender in most gender and feminist theory I have come across is the social significance of sexual difference. Gender is the conceptualization of the meaning of difference in biological sex.

This implies that not only is gender partly constructed but that factual sexual difference partly conditions gender construction. Take gestation for example. One could correctly say that a large part of the construction of gender roles socio-economically is due to the mother carrying and feeding the child- the basis for the construct may simply be a result of sexual difference, but the way society often takes hold of it and exaggerates or de-emphasizes it is largely the product of (the warping of) ideologies (ex: women give birth, are physically less powerful, etc., therefore they are mentally inferior, fit for washing dishes, folding linens, and unfit for thinking- none of which follows necessarily from the fact of sexual difference alone (which we can never "exactly" determine) and is certainly constructed (usually motivated by strategic power goals). Note: "constructed" does not necessarily mean "incorrect", but I would argue that in the example above it most certainly is.

In terms of the excerpts/summary speed posted, I definitely agree with him that Stepp's commentary is inaccurate and solidly paternalistic! As I see it, the gender roles she sets as "foundational" (or "proper") were largely constructed (especially by economics) as well. Is it any surprise that in the era of the "free market" the restricting market effect of exclusive gender roles would be upturned? Why sell make-up to only half the population? How much more profit can be made if men wear pink too? If women need suit tailors and leather briefcases as well? The list goes on and on as humanity generally is shaped into (first and foremost) the consumer.

I don't think much has changed in the methodology of gender construction. What has changed is the amount of influence "economic forces" have on it, which is enormous, whereas in the past things like tradition, religion, and other uniting organizations (especially on the local level) would be exerting comparable pressures.

I totally concur.

Capitalism, or whatever it is we have (a largely state supported monopolistic economy with a few free market sectors), is the most destructive and revolutionary force in mans history. It will destroy every institution, culture, social structure, etc, for profit.

Anyway, this weekend I was out in two different (and I mean as totally different cultures one can have in otherwise standardized America) cities, and I was amazed just how many more gays, lesbians,bisexual-like behavior and metrosexuals I witnessed. These people would not have been as open with this just 5 years ago.