Generic Metalcore, Please Critique

HeroicThomas

New Metal Member
Mar 15, 2011
so umm yeah
i don't typically write music this generic but i just needed something to test my sound before i started recording my band's shit.
I'm going to point it out before you, yes the snare is AWFUL!
I'm going to change that asap, so critique everything else until then.
Cleans are a bit rough, done in like one take, excluding the background tracks.
and the speed is too high on autotune. i'll fix that as well. My vocals tracks rarely need autotune, this one did "/

http://soundcloud.com/heroicthomas/nuns-with-guns-3

notes:
Guitar Rig 4 for tone
Acoustica Beatcraft for drums
with random samples i had
Fl studio for synth
Classic vst collection for vocals (i started this before i got protools)
the gating on the screams was done with dblue
and the reverb on the vocals was done with guitar rigs reverb... which i like alot :p don't hate.

Yeah, that snare definitely needs to be replaced. The other samples aren't the best sounding either, they need to be brought way up, otherwise they get buried underneath everything else. The guitars sound muffled and boxy. The bitcrusher effect right at 0:08 sounds very weird, it makes the vox sound like there was a bad glitch during recording or some terrible EQing. The stutter effects are also very 'dblue glitch'-y.

thanks for your input man.
yeah i feel you. the cymbals are too low.
the kick just a bit too high.
And i was going for kind of a Woe is me type effect with the dblue.
ill tinker around with ittt
i honestly don't know what to do about the guitars.
i've eq'd them everyway imaginable out the butthole, and i still can't get it to sound good.
i also recorded all of these tracks in audacity like a month agoo...
so the newer guitar tracks on different projects ive done in protools have been alot better quality and less muffled.

thanks for your input man.
yeah i feel you. the cymbals are too low.
the kick just a bit too high.
And i was going for kind of a Woe is me type effect with the dblue.
ill tinker around with ittt
i honestly don't know what to do about the guitars.
i've eq'd them everyway imaginable out the butthole, and i still can't get it to sound good.
i also recorded all of these tracks in audacity like a month agoo...
so the newer guitar tracks on different projects ive done in protools have been alot better quality and less muffled.

Perhaps you just didn't have a good source on your guitar if you say your later guitar tracks sound good. Let's face it - no amount of effects and EQ's can fix a bad source. Also, make sure you're not EQing too much that you are taking out what's good about the guitars. Many great mixes I hear on here have simply a high pass, a low pass, and maybe some work around the 200-500Hz area and taming of a spike around 3k.

If you don't like the pure "tone", I would advise using free amp sims and impulses (check out LePou stuff and TSE X50 for the sims, and the God's Cab for the impulses, load them with LeCab2). I say this because I could never dial in a 'great' metal tone with Amplitube (although I have heard people who did), but when I switched to these programs, I noticed a big difference. I haven't used Guitar Rig though, so I'm not quite qualified though. I'm not sure what tones its capable of.

Holy god that singer is terrible.
Can't comment on the mix yet I'll but I will in a bit.

edit:
The drums are really not punchy. I dig the kick, but its got the lowend. The snare and toms are just 'there', there's no power behind them. The toms sound like a low quality mp3.
The guitars aren't too bad, maybe a bit too middy.. raise some highs and lows.
The bass needs a lot of work. Let the kick come through, and overall just.. yeah work on the bass.
Murder the vocalist.

It's not guitar rig,
it's just the fact that i recorded into freeware. it records in 16 bit :p
and yeah there's a high pass and a low pass, and a small bit of eq before distortion.
i've tried like all of those amp sims, can't get a single one to sound how i like

and yeah, i agree drums are awful. i'll rerecord this whole song today and post an update.

lol. not my best clean vocal take :p