getting a mac book pro, looking for advice

brian's right, if you're getting a macbook pro, you might as well put your money towards protools. i've always used pc-based systems (i'm currently using sonar 8 producer) and i started working with protools 7.3 LE (mac). it was awkward for about a day. the thing is... protools isn't complicated. if your confident with any real DAWs then you'll be fine. but because it's the industry standard, protools a must, at some point, for someone at your level, joey. i mean c'mon, Brian Hood uses it! lol he's catching up quickly :)

brian's right, if you're getting a macbook pro, you might as well put your money towards protools. i've always used pc-based systems (i'm currently using sonar 8 producer) and i started working with protools 7.3 LE (mac). it was awkward for about a day. the thing is... protools isn't complicated. if your confident with any real DAWs then you'll be fine. but because it's the industry standard, protools a must, at some point, for someone at your level, joey. i mean c'mon, Brian Hood uses it! lol he's catching up quickly :)

haha yeah.

well im booked 6 months in advance, so its hard for me to make changes that might not instantly work how i'd think. so i have to be careful. thats why im doing this the laptop route. im not going to put it in my work flow until i've done some demo's of my own on my own time and get comfortable with everything.

Ummm, he has been using Nuendo and Cubase apparently.

I know what you mean about not using a MAC DAW before but it isn't that awkward of a transition.......at least for most people that is:)

oh...you see when joey said "upper end recording software" i presumed he had never really ventured into the land of DAW's and was playing with the likes of audacity and what not

joey, why not the profire instead of the digi 003s or whatever? :O? they are really reliable with mac. and i dig the pre's then you can just get m-powerd or whatever and expand the tracks how ever you need to, i don't know if you can get more tracks with m-powerd but that might be an idea

It's a sound future plan, but I'll just throw in some suggestions.

-You don't really need a 002 if you just want to take baby steps toward editing on PT. Just get a low level Mbox 2. It's basically just a dongle - all their LE interfaces suck.
-Something seems to be brewing on the horizon. PTHD can be had for quite 'cheap' these days (relative to how it used to be priced) and it seems possible that Digidesign may be turning over a new technology or flagship in the near future.

I've been struggling between DAWs a heap myself, but it just doesn't feel like the right time to commit any one way or another. Steinberg's DAWs suck, much as they always have, PTHD is still prohibitively overpriced for something nearing obsolescence & Studio One doesn't have a large enough feature set.

It's obvious that someone with your workload would want PTHD above all, but just bear in mind that a better system may be just around the corner. If you need something 'now' then I'd say take the plunge and just get the HD rig, go all the way with it and don't give it a second thought anymore. If not, then perhaps hold on and see what the next announcement from the relevant parties is. If it's nothing earth-shattering then go back to the HD idea.

learn a new DAW (logic) just to step to anotherone (PT) soon anyway?
nah, stay with Cubase until you can afford PT HD (it's not as expensive as people wanna make you believe), then do that transition directly.

you'll be able to work with PT right away and after 2-3 weeks you'll be faster in PT than you've ever been in Cubase ( was the same with me, and I'm a cubase wizard :D)

You'll go crazy if you change from Cubase to Logic...
I've used it since the end of the summer, it's so frustrating to work with (coming from a Cubase background).

haha i can't tell if you insulted or complimented me:lol:

a little of both haha

on a more serious note.. lately, i've been following you guys pretty close and i have to say brian, you're making quite the stab at perfection.

also, have you been sneaking slate samples in your mixes? not that i think anything is wrong with that. it just sounds like it on some stuff. (before the was rosalyn for example)

haha yeah.

well im booked 6 months in advance, so its hard for me to make changes that might not instantly work how i'd think. so i have to be careful. thats why im doing this the laptop route. im not going to put it in my work flow until i've done some demo's of my own on my own time and get comfortable with everything.

it sounds like getting a macbook pro is the route you should take for sure. but if you plan to upgrade to protools then i would say skip logic. no doubt about it.

i haven't used m-powered yet but i hear it's actually pretty decent (especially for mainly editing purposes). and LE may be the consumer version but it is a lot cheaper than HD. it's also still compatible with HD session files. i hear the 003s are crap (for the money at least). i've been using the 002s so i have no personal experience with them.

ps. i've been buddies with the guys in the color morale for a long time and i'd just like to personally thank you for making them who they are now. youre a genius joey.

love peace and chicken grease

wanna buy my 002 board? :lol:

+1 on the profire, i'd like very much to switch to one. the general concensus i seemed to gather after my research was that there's no difference between LE and m-powered. and what's even the benefit of HD? i honestly know nothing about it. except giant cards and super ultra mega-converters. but... i think joeys results with the fireface800 don't really need upgrading...haha. would going fireface > profire > pt be less good soundwise than going fireface > cubase? that's a big consideration, because i don't think anything short of an HD rig is going to be as good sounding as the converters in the fireface... o_0 and he certainly can't afford a downgrade, soundwise.

i've been using logic 9 for about 5 months and i used logic 8 before that. its super easy to figure out and joey i dont think youll have any problems with it. its def very stable.

i would however look into getting an iMac instead of a macbook pro. they have the same specs for a fraction of the price. that is unless you want it to be portable then id go with the macbook pro. i think youll be happy with logic tho

and what's even the benefit of HD?

onboard DSP processing, massive track counts, expanded i/o and routing

with the # of tracks joey runs up, i don't think M-powered or LE will satisfy him

I <3 PT. :) Although it has some major differences that I HATE...the realtime bounces annoy me. But other than that...I've been using protools professionally for 7 years now and can't imagine moving away from it.

i've been using logic 9 for about 5 months and i used logic 8 before that. its super easy to figure out and joey i dont think youll have any problems with it. its def very stable.

i would however look into getting an iMac instead of a macbook pro. they have the same specs for a fraction of the price. that is unless you want it to be portable then id go with the macbook pro. i think youll be happy with logic tho

Logic crashed on me so many times yesterday that I had to consolidate all my tracks and mix in Reaper. The beta version of Reaper and Pro Tools 8 have both run flawlessly for me on Snow Leopard, Logic is a buggy, crashing, pain in the ass.

i haven't had much crashes on logic 9 since my snow leopard upgrade, really the only time it crashes for me is when i force logic to run some unstable plugins from the AU manager and it doesn't like what it sees.

snow leopard is relatively new - give it a chance and let apple iron out the problems