Getting my own studio

Fandus

Aug 13, 2009
So it's happening. After many years I've taken the plunge and thrown a whole lot of debt into setting up my own studio.

I'm about half way through construction and I'm getting all my gear piece by piece. I've been up since 3am last few night just playing with the new toys :D

Who else here has gone through the process of building a studio?

I thought it would be cool to share stories/tips on the subject.

I will upload some pics tomorrow so you all can see the progress if you like?

Budget absolute maximum is $60,000.

I've spent around $15,000 so far on construction and have an estimate of $36,000 on gear. Then there is rent, bills, insurance, advertising etc to bring it up closer to the 60k mark.

I have started with a stable daw macpro and quality rme coverters via raydat. Then I've added a mix of outboard preamps, sansamp RBI and axe fx 2. And of course a lot of mics, stand, cables, patchbay. Seeing how I go only using plugins since I will have an excellent capture of the source. Then I will add in outboard as I feel the need. Oh and alot of software too.

yeah man, 3 hard drives (and extra backups) and i sourced building materials at auction. There was a shed built over a sewer line entrance in mid suburbia that was heavily sound proofed to let them work through the night. sewer line got fixed, shed came down, i got quality materials at a low price. And no, it didn't hold the smell of the sewer :p

I am doing a room within a room, everything decoupled by neoprene pads. Super dense insulation is sitting behind every surface - floor, walls and ceilings. The inner wall is lined with Durra Board - a product made here in australia, one of the most interesting things i've seen while building this. It is straw. HEAVILY compressed straw weighing in at around 25kg/m2. IMAX theaters use this product around the globe.

i also have all parallel walls angled to be 12 degrees off.

pics coming in a few minutes :)

mjwpz7.jpg

2eb91sm.jpg

Levelling the floor on small stumps. every stump had a rubber pad under it to decouple it from the floor.

vxgqc4.jpg

2j0zd4z.jpg

insulation is packed in and the yellow tung is put down.

s24byx.jpg

Starting to put up the frame. this is basically where i'm at. electrician comes in tomorrow then i can proceed with filling the walls and putting up the durra board.

Dude this is so awesome. Must be an awesome feeling. I hope as I age and get more experience, I can start building my own place. This looks so cool.