getting the volume on a snare track at the same level over several tracks...

Jun 2, 2005
See, im mixing a death metal band right now, kev calls it "snare music" :p .. and the snare hits and tom hits are not always at the same volume level or around the same level.. sometimes they sound too low in volume, sometimes too hard.

Is there any way i can fix this and get them more at a steady volume level without doing it manually hit by hit? im still working in nuendo...

Cheers in advance!

I think there's an integrated tool in Nuendo which could help you with this. If I have some time tomorrow I can look into that, but if I where you I would use ApTrigger or Drumagog with some samples of the snare or toms on those tracks.

If you don´t want to automate it use a compressor and if this doesn´t work and you don´t want to use a triggered snare..................................................................................................

automate it. :lol:

hehe.. gotcha!

I might have to add all is not recorded to a clicktrack... also, the skins on the toms were dead, so they sound a bit weak to begin with...

As far as samples go, i do use aptrigga on the snare and on the toms, so that helps a bit.. but i want a more steady one-volume hits.

i've never used aptrigga before, but i'm sure it has some sort of dynamics control...turn that shit down, and it should even out the samples quite a bit

parallel compression !!!!!!

create a send of the snare track -route to a bus - nice comp with slow attack (something like 15-20 ms), fast release, depending on the tempo of the song
ratio 4:1 or a bit more and some huge amount of gain reduction, like 10-20 dB,
what you get is a 'pop' of every hit, even the lower ones will 'pop', but not that much.

you can also copy the snare track and use the copy as your parallel comp, but i like the bus routing, cause like this you don't need the instances of eq, expander/gate you have used for your orig. snare track again.

next step - limiting
a limiter for the parallel comp and some light compression/limiting for the snare bus, where the parallel comp and the orig snare track end.

i really like parallel comp, total control for the 'pop' of the snare and nice consistency. but you need a dry signal with a lot of expanding/gating to get rid of the rest of the kit.

for toms, i would sample replace!

hope this helps!!