Ugly ugly volume spikes, clipping the stero out

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I always seem to get these random volume spikes that clip my outs. It's usually caused from snare hits, cymbal hits, or vocals I've noticed. The snare hits I can just clip and they sound fine and I did the same on the vocals and it cured it, but I dunno how great of an idea that is on vocals. When it comes to cymbal hits I'm at a loss, and untill now have just automated that hit down in volume. Help?

Why are you pushing everything so high?? Which is just eating all your headroom for spikes
Pretty stupid practice you got there buddy. You must turn everything down to create the headroom for spikes
You can always just turn everything up during the mastering stage with a clipper or limiter

Thats the thing is I have tried turning everything down to allow the proper head room, it just seems like maybe there's a better process to clip those few random spikes that occur so that the mix can be a bit louder.

P.S. I never have clipping in my recorded tracks, the clips just occur when there's a spike in a track and usually I've found that fixing one of those three things fixes it, I was just asking if there were a better way to go about this.

well... if you dont get clipping on tracking, the problem is narrowed down.

if i understand correctly, your unprocessed, master channel is clipping? Is this because the dynamic are reaching more then "0" db? just so you know, that is the max threshold, set by the software your using so you have unity in your recordings. anything going about this threshold is going to be limited or distorted, which is completely undesired because the master track isnt a plugin, nor is it meant to be clipped. so to start, set all your tracks to a volume so that NOTHING surpasses "0" db on the master track.

also if you know this and do this... this could be you dsp maxing out. Does clipping happen when you have a lot of plugins in?

and lastly, the only other thing i can think of is that you have a really slow release time on these instruments and a mid to slow attack time with HUGE amounts of GR going on. what happens if your track is too compressed and set with a long release time is theres no volume going back to unity gain, and its a sure sign of too much compression for drums, vocals and overheads IF your pushing constantly more then 8db of GR. If the meter never goes back to 2db to 0db of GR, than this might suggest you get loud transients popping through which might make you master channel clip, especially if your turning gain compensation way up. so if this is the case, find a section where the instrument pauses for lets say, 4 seconds and starts again loud after that. if theres a a loud clip there, this could be your problem. if it is, use way faster release times, and less threshold, different ratios. maybe find a tutorial or something on here about compression.

hope my suggestions help, dont mean to insult you if you do know these things, just wanted to help.

Not an insult at all! I'll check them, as with vocals I do squash the hell out of em so I'll go back and check the release times. Also I was noticing this alot on a project that someone else was here helping mix vocals so perhaps that's the problem. But, I sometimes like to squash the hell out of vocals when I get a not so good singer or even to get that squashed sound. Would cascading compressors at lower thresholds help perhaps?

And no, clipping doesn't happen when I max my dsp out it just plays everything back super slow and distorted, but it's been a long while since i've maxed my dsp.

isn't it a terrible idea to put a limiter on your master bus? that's the impression I was always under... btw Brian, I've heard alot about your studio locally, I wouldn't mind coming up sometime and checking it out and shooting the shit/talking shop

I don't see the harm in it... if you're not compressing anything all you are doing is preventing those spikes from hitting red on your 2bus. The limiter will just chop off those peaks.

That's cool man, I'd be down to hang sometime, I am super fucking busy but we'll have to figure out something sometime, like if you're ever gonna be up here for a show or something definitely hit me up. My studio isn't much though dude it's just a basement in a house, hahaha. Gets shit done though.

Wait, what ?
Are you mixing up clippers and limiters ?.
Course unless there is something I have missed almost everyone uses a limiter of somekind on their master buss.

I don't see the harm in it... if you're not compressing anything all you are doing is preventing those spikes from hitting red on your 2bus. The limiter will just chop off those peaks.

Unless the plugs on the "master' fader are pre fader inserts (which most aren't) you will still be clipping the buss feeding the limiter which in most cases is post fader on the master fader.

I still don't really get the problem here. Just turn it down until it won't clip. There's no reason to constantly hit near zero on the mix bus. If you really have to turn things down way too low (so low it causes you trouble) to avoid clipping, there's something terribly wrong with the dynamic control of the individual tracks.

Sorry if I'm getting something wrong here.

I still don't really get the problem here. Just turn it down until it won't clip. There's no reason to constantly hit near zero on the mix bus. If you really have to turn things down way too low (so low it causes you trouble) to avoid clipping, there's something terribly wrong with the dynamic control of the individual tracks.

Sorry if I'm getting something wrong here.

+1

It sounds like you are trying to get the loudest MIX you can, which isn't necessarily a good idea IMO.

no, not trying to get a super loud mix, I think jarkko hit the nail on the head... I have to turn them down so low it's causing me trouble.... and yes dynamic trouble would most likely be the culprit, in which case this is what I'm asking advice on to make this problem go away

no, not trying to get a super loud mix, I think jarkko hit the nail on the head... I have to turn them down so low it's causing me trouble.... and yes dynamic trouble would most likely be the culprit, in which case this is what I'm asking advice on to make this problem go away

Then dynamically control the individual elements in your mix before it ever hits the mix buss, and then turn your monitors up? :wave: