Having a problem getting volume and pulling up the kick.

kylendm

Apr 18, 2010
NJ
So I'm having a problem with volume and pulled the kick out so you can hear it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/beefcakes.mp3

That's just a reamp I did to explain. Before I put anything in my master bus it's at -7db so I have a good amount of headroom but as soon as I throw a limiter and g-clip on or start using Ozone the kick gets lost and I start having troubles with getting volume without clipping.

I turned the snare down since the clip because it was a bit loud. Anything you guys could recommend?

Maybe too many incontrolled sub on the kick? Or maybe to much release time.
And to much lowend for my taste.

only listened to it through laptop speakers... but sounds really good at my end... the kick really gets kinda lost in the mix, i actually hear only the "click".. no help, i know, just wanted to state that :)

Maybe too many incontrolled sub on the kick? Or maybe to much release time.
And to much lowend for my taste.

The whole mix has too much low end? It could be from mixing on 8" speakers in an apartment that's not acoustically treated. Anyway I'll mess with it and see if I can get it to come out better.

Just do an frequency analyse on your master track. The 3Hz a roughly as loud as the 100Hz...
Put a good high-pass at 20Hz, maybe higher (48 dB/octave if you can) and you can gain roughly 2dB of volume, or 2 dB of dynamic. ;)

Didn't realize how hard I was running g-clip on the kick. Turned it off completely but that gave the mix a bit more clipping. Can't seem to win. I lo-passed at 20k but it didn't do anything for me. Also just used a limiter and g-clip on the master. No more ozone.

The drums had a lot of verb on everything really. Turned it down a bit and turned the verb off the cymbals completely.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/isthisanybetter.mp3

EDIT:Just realized you said highpass at 20hz haha.

hi-passed http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/isthisanybetterhipass.mp3 seem to have helped the clipping issue a little. How can I pull the kick more forward?

Dont have any room mics on the kit.

turn down the reverb on the drums. same thing. it sounds like they were recorded in a gigantic cavern

as far as getting your volume with the kick, why don't you try turning everything else down until you have the kick sitting where you want it in the mix

so the reverb is the real reverb recorded in the drums? ...maybe you should try lowering the sustain with some transient modeler.... might also filter out unwanted reverb...
on the other hand... I've heard that when something is quiet in the mix usually it means that everything else is too loud.

Well the cymbals and OH are all real so if that's where the verb is coming from then yes that's natural. I turned it down a bit on the snare too. The more I listen the more I hear there is too much verb. Guess I'm starting to get an ear for it more and more. I'm not really fond of the snare I'm using though. Wish I could get some nice slate snares, mine feels quite thin which is why I have so much verb on it I suppose.

Yeah, a bit too much reverb. But that isn't the problem to me. The guitars are WAY TOO FUCKING LOUUUDDDD!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Yeah. Turn 'em down. Sculpt them a bit more to allow the bass to cut through a bit more. They're too muddy in the low-end and not bright enough. It will sound fatter.

Jesus, give the guy a break. No need to tear the guy apart since he's admitted he's not exactly a "seasoned professional" here. We all need help from time to time.

FWIW, I dig the snare sound, but I'm on my laptop, so it's hard to say.

Well the cymbals and OH are all real so if that's where the verb is coming from then yes that's natural. I turned it down a bit on the snare too. The more I listen the more I hear there is too much verb. Guess I'm starting to get an ear for it more and more. I'm not really fond of the snare I'm using though. Wish I could get some nice slate snares, mine feels quite thin which is why I have so much verb on it I suppose.

Uhm, did you try high passing the overheads? Start at 100hz and move up as needed. There might be too much there (catching the resonance of the toms/snare/kick) which would muddy up the low end and keep you from hearing everything down there.

And if you still have the problems... Have you done any HP on the guitars? Start around 50hz and work from there.