GHOST IN THE RUINS performs STRANGE WINGS

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Hey,
Many of you have asked me over the past year to see some video footage of my SAVATAGE tribute band. Here is a clip of us performing STRANGE WINGS from our show this past weekend opening for ICED EARTH.

I know there are many SAVATAGE faithful here, so I am curious to hear your thoughts and certainly welcome all criticisms! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely brilliant - obvious issues with sound on any live recording because the vocals at the end probably would have sounded way better in person, but for all intents and purposes its great.

Thanks.
Well, there were MANY issues with this show that I won't go into, because the only issues I would be willing to speak of deal with OUR set and sound.

So on that topic, I will say this.

The venue has a 40 channel board. ICED EARTH only permitted the opening bands to use 8 channels.
We are a 7 person band, which is also why you hear a LOT of bass drum and little else from the kit! :)

We tried to do the best with what we were given.

Sorry I missed this ... I tried to catch the set, but this stupid venue can't seem to figure out that you actually have to let people in the building before the bands take the stage. I think we stood in line for about 45 minutes or more while bands played on. Get this .. they have one person selling and taking tickets. Needless to say it takes forever to process the line and get people in the bulding.

I'll try to catch you guys again in the future .. hopefully Mojoes will have their act together next time. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Video looks good .. too bad IE crammed you guys in the space of a jail cell ;)

Britt

Thanks Britt,

To make a long story short, Iced Earth would not permit regular ticket holders into the venue while they were doing the VIP thing (Even though the balcony was closed off during that time to the VIP, so they could have easily let everyone in on time and separate those folks). So the soundguy told us literally "You better be ready to go the second the last autograph is signed. We have one minute to line check, and then its a go!

So we basically played to the VIP ticket holders (Of which there were at least 200 if not more) and those who were first in line and able to get through inside on time to catch some of the set.

We were promised the VIP thing would not cut into our set.
After 4 songs the soundguy speaks those dreaded words into the monitors of "You have time for ONE more"

Oh well, it was still a great time and a great experience.

Song sounded GREAT. Vocals and solos all sounded DEAD ON. Really love to hear / see some more stuff!

One question, and this is not meant to sound rude at all, but what is the point of the second singer out there? Does he handle the Zak songs or something? Seems odd to have a singer out front like that handling backing vocals, instead of one of the other band members.

And damn..... That is one FULL stage!

Yes, you got it!

That's Al Rybka who some of you know as a regular PP attendee, and current Kat V vocalist.
He handles our Zak Stevens leads. We also utilize him to recreate various dual harmonies (IE - Like he does in handling the Ray Gillen part of STRANGE WINGS)

I appreciate the comments and you checking it out.

Ah, the joys of singing on the tail end of a cold without any vocals in your monitors. It's an aspiring vocalist's dream. Nonetheless, the show was a fun time. Hopefully, we'll have better sounding footage up after our first headlining show on May 4th. Here's to celebrating the beautiful musical legacy!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

This is sorta disappointing to hear. After the years Iced Earth spent grinding it out and playing crappy venues to few people, you'd think they or their management would be a little more aware of this kind of thing. I mean, obviously I understand Jon Schaffer isn't sitting backstage twirling his mustache and going "Muhahahaha!"... but you'd think someone involved in the tour or management or venue or something would at least be careful enough that either people were let in earlier, or the first band didn't start until the line was processed. Unfortunately, this kind of sloppy time management is all too common in my experience. On the other hand, I also allow that there could also be unavoidable technical factors that affect this situation that I simply have no knowledge of.

Jason, I'm not just saying this, but I thought the band sounded great! Nice job on everything! That's bullshit the way everything went down at that venue. When I saw this tour a couple of weeks ago back in Charlotte, everything worked like a charm. Some venues just don't have together.

It would be VERY cool to see GITR play a pre-party event at ProgPower one year! Glenn would actually let you play and utilize what was available!

~Brian~

Jon_Schaffer_fit.jpg

Muhahahaha! :)

Hey,
Many of you have asked me over the past year to see some video footage of my SAVATAGE tribute band. Here is a clip of us performing STRANGE WINGS from our show this past weekend opening for ICED EARTH.

I know there are many SAVATAGE faithful here, so I am curious to hear your thoughts and certainly welcome all criticisms! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiP07nVmaMA

Good Job bro!
I'm a huge old skool Savatage fan!
& Jon Olivia has & always has been
a huge vocal influence on me also!
also, I much prefer the early savatage stuff,
Sirens, Dungeons, Power, etc.
I'd SO LOVE to see y'all do Power, Necrophilia,
City Beneath The Surface, Midas Knight &
By The Grace Of The Witch!

But that's just me, being so old skool!

I did LOVE Strange Wings though!
Also, I saw Ray Gillen w/ Black Sabbath
in 85, & Al you've got those Gillen vocals down bro!!
Excellent! :D

Thanks for the kind words.
The full show is up on YouTube right now if you wanna check it out.
I can try to post the link later.

Yeah, I am just stating the facts as I personally understand them.
It could certainly have been a combination of Iced Earth's schedule, the venue, what was contracted...
I don't know. Either way, we were VERY grateful to be able to play this show.
Iced Earth were great.

As for material, we try to cover all eras.
At our next show, there will be some deep cuts like Midas Knight, Warriors, etc..

@ Al - Man, you weren't kidding when you told me a while back that you are hard on yourself. You sounded great on Saturday.