Ghost Reveries appreciation thread *FUCKING DOT*

I think a reason for negativity about some new albums is from people who became fans before they were released. They will make an impression of what they think the band *should* sound like, from all the albums that were already out. Then a new album comes along, with a new sound, and they will react negatively to it. I had a similar experience myself, with Pain of Salvation's "Scarsick". Didn't really like it for a while, and then I gave in. :headbang:

It does take some work and listens to get used to and ultimately accept a new and different album. I suspect there will be a lot of people who won't like Watershed as well.

It's not my favorite. I am with you though, I listen to GR and I never get sick of it. It Kills Deliverance and Damnation..Also It's way better then Orchid and the overrated My Arms...But it aint no BWP, SL and MR.

Baying of the Hounds and Beneath the Mire give me a BONER!

One of my good Friend hates GR. When It came out he wouldn't stop bashing it everytime I would bring it up, I didnt get it! I was like how can an Opeth fan not enjoy Ghost of Perdition, Baying of the Hounds, Beneath the Mire and Harelquin Forrest.

The strength of GR lies in listening to the whole thing instead of just bits of it.

This is one of the most true statements made in the entire thread.

I consider Ghost Reveries to be more repetitious, but less repetitive. Every section on that album has a purpose. Nothing carries on for too long, nothing feels out of place, it's just an all around very well structured album.

I think that Mike spent extra time making the songs on GR more streamlined without giving up song length or too much technicality.

There are just too many special moments in that album for people to just write it off and call it boring. Oh well. Besides Damnation, I'd say GR is probably the most consistant listen from start to finish.

Listen to the first heavy section on GoP and compare it to the first acoustic section in it. Now that is carefully crafted songwriting right there!

GR is my 4th favorite, right behind SL,BWP, and MAYH.

I think GR has the best base lines, guitar solos, and production overall. And Mike hit his peak vocally with this album as well. But alot of the riffs on GR seemed a little lazy and not as well thought out as on previous efforts. And I didn't care for any of the softer songs on this one, however,the softer moments on the heavier songs are some of their most catchy and memorable to date.

GR was a very welcome contribution to their catalogue, especially after the double D duds that preceded it. And I can already tell that it knocks the scrotum right off the one that is to follow.

My favourite track off the Ghost Reveries album would be "Reverie"..the intro with the lines "Into the Trees, Past meadow grounds"...especially after the melodic bit just prior to it from the ending of Atonement, breathtaking..one of Ghost Reveries finest moments for me.

Ghost Reveries is a wicked album. I have been listening to it a lot lately as I drive around town. I like the atmosphere of it, and it's one of the albums I know a lot of lyrics of. I listen to their other albums more at times, but they don't have lyrics that are as catchy. The only one I sing along to more would probably be Damnation.

My favourite track off the Ghost Reveries album would be "Reverie"..the intro with the lines "Into the Trees, Past meadow grounds"...especially after the melodic bit just prior to it from the ending of Atonement, breathtaking..one of Ghost Reveries finest moments for me.

Hah, my favourite part as well :headbang:

The problem I have with the album is it's very unbalanced. One you get past the first three tracks, it just seems to drag ass and doesn't give me that sense of closure like most the other albums do. The soft songs are pretty decent tracks and all, but nothing extremely memorable, and definitely not something that I get a craving to listen to more than once or twice a year. Reverie/Harlequin Forest is one of their most overrated songs. The way Mike used his clean vocals over heavier parts is better displayed on their new songs (from what we've all heard at least). And let's not get into the atrocity that is The Grand Conjuration; easily Opeth's worst song.

Those are the biggest drawbacks to the album, and what really knocks it down in the rankings.

Strange that I didn't notice this thread before. Well, like one above me said. Album is like over after three tracks. Grand Conjuration is so bad and there's soft songs basically after. Therefore it's maybe bottom of whole discography.

I think that Ghost Reveries is a great album. Was the first Opeth record I heard. Love all of their other albums too.

I think that GR is definately a great album, but i must say its one of my least fav from opeth. I found TGC got boring after a while, too straight forward for my taste, but its still a good track and shouldnt get shunned as much as it does

I feel the TGC's main riff feels too similar to the heavy ending riff of BWP. It always reminds me of a less powerful version of that riff. It's not bad, but I feel more could be done with it, or they could have put a better riff there.