Gibson Explorer Copies

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
Looking at Gibson Explorer's as well as V's right now. But just want to know if there are any good replicas out there that slay gibson. Or should I just stick with Gibson when looking for the explorer body type?

Unless you get something custom made with a longer scale, I'd say just go with the Gibson. I absolutely love my Gibson Explorer to death. I would, however, consider something maybe like an Edwards (ESP makes them) Explorer, but only because they make a rear routed version, the kind without pickgaurds. My Gibson has the pickgaurd on it, top routed, and I would really love a rear routed Explorer. Otherwise the Gib is tops IMO.

Edwards: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/ex/E-EX-110D.html

I dunno where you order them from though, they have to be imported from Japan but I hear they are totally worth it.

Looks like the destroyer II i can get for under $300 at times. How does the playability and sound compare to a gibson. Anyone have decent knowledge of the ibanez destroyer II and can they give me a quick rundown of what I should be looking for if it is a worthy contender

There's only one Explorer for me, and that's the Gibson. I wouldn't mind having a DT-555 though. That was one mean guitar. Shame they go for such serious money used.

^ only thing I dislike about the Warmoth is that the body shape they use is not the same as the classic Gibson shape. They use like an old Charvel template or something, the lower horn is longer and more pointy, looks retarded, especially next to the original Gibson design.

On the Destroyer II. I have a DT420. I plays very well, has a nice fast neck, sound good for 80's style rock/thrash, definitely puts me in the mood to play it, handles tuning down to around C# well. But I don't like the bolt on heel, even with super low action the strings and saddle sit way above the body, the hardware is gold. If I had my druthers I'd trade if for a DT700 even though the DT400/420 is supposed to be more collectible...whatever. I have the ICT700 and preferred far more than the ICT350 I had before it.

Looking at Gibson Explorer's as well as V's right now. But just want to know if there are any good replicas out there that slay gibson. Or should I just stick with Gibson when looking for the explorer body type?

epiphone...?

Unless you get something custom made with a longer scale, I'd say just go with the Gibson. I absolutely love my Gibson Explorer to death. I would, however, consider something maybe like an Edwards (ESP makes them) Explorer, but only because they make a rear routed version, the kind without pickgaurds. My Gibson has the pickgaurd on it, top routed, and I would really love a rear routed Explorer. Otherwise the Gib is tops IMO.

Edwards: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/ex/E-EX-110D.html

I dunno where you order them from though, they have to be imported from Japan but I hear they are totally worth it.

this guitar is just fucking AWESOME!!!:dopey:

I don't even know how to order one... although if I had the money, I'd probably find a way.
1.jpg

^ That is fucking lush!

I was after one of those Edwards explorers for a while as there was quite a few that cropped up on Ebay so I look into them....turns out they are really sub-par. Found source after source about their sound quality/build...though they said the Edwards LP is immense.

I've only had experience with one Hamer (super-strat style) a friend of mine had ages ago, really didn't like, personally, but that's me. In my experience I think Epiphones are like Gibsons in that you have to play a few before you find one that's good all around. As in, they can be great, just not all of them.

@Jaymz: Damn, that sucks to hear, was hoping to get one eventually :\