Metal Fender Statocaster (Help!)

DSC00219.jpg

I like Strats as much as the next guy, as noted by the above picture, but I honestly think you guys are nuts saying they are good for metal. Any guitar can physically handle metal...but the aforementioned argument is the TONE they produce because of their very design. That's all I'm sayin'.

~006

I like the tone of my Strat for metal; it's not as congested in the lower mids and has good clarity for chord work under high gain. I don't think there's any inherent limitation in the design at all. Unless there's a swimming pool route, there's not that much more wood missing under that pickguard than a rear-routed guitar.

I'll admit, though I A) have a particularly nice Strat, and B) am something of an iconoclast when it comes to tone and gear. I don't like most "Superstrat" types at all- give me something with a big, heavy body and a neck with some girth to it; my tastes are probably closer to the stoner/doom crowd in terms of tones and gear. I'd think, all things considered, a big, resonant Strat body would have more chunk to it than, say, a thin basswood Ibanez given the same pickups. I don't have the latter on hand to make a definite comparison, though.

So feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt. :lol:

I didn't say anything about the routing, that's a non-issue in this situation. It's the woods that are commonly used...mostly being alder.

~006

I didn't say anything about the routing, that's a non-issue in this situation. It's the woods that are commonly used...mostly being alder.

~006

DING DING DING!!! Precisely

And Rockguitar, ugghh, that Carvin is hideous! :lol: Take it from me, as someone who has familiarized himself GREATLY with the Carvin line, the CT6 is the most bonerrific by far, and if you do want a DC (which is what that one is), then don't get one with the rounded body edges (like that one has, it makes the horns look like big penises :lol: )

I fucking hate Carvin's designs most of the time, way too plain and generic looking. The looks (shapes) do NOT reflect their price tag, other than the CT. Typically if you are paying that much the guitar not only is sexy on paper, spec-wise, but looks good too, generally speaking. The DC series is just fucking gay. That's the end of it. In fact, IMO, the only guitars that look worth a shit are the CTs, but even with them I'm really turned off by the headstock design they use, again the plain and generic description comes to mind. The DC series belongs in the f'in 80s, and even in that era they are still homo as fuck.

~006

Although I could get past the plain headstock design on this one :)

Is it just me, or is that bridge angled weird?

~006

DSC00219.jpg

I like Strats as much as the next guy, as noted by the above picture, but I honestly think you guys are nuts saying they are good for metal. Any guitar can physically handle metal...but the aforementioned argument is the TONE they produce because of their very design. That's all I'm sayin'.

~006

Is that a David Gilmour relic? :OMG: :kickass: How is she?

I have an Yngwie signature and its pretty sweet. Don't think I would use it much for recording rhythms, though I'm sure I could and be pretty happy with it since I like a variety of different tones. Haven't tried it though so I could be wrong.

DING DING DING!!! Precisely

And Rockguitar, ugghh, that Carvin is hideous! :lol: Take it from me, as someone who has familiarized himself GREATLY with the Carvin line, the CT6 is the most bonerrific by far, and if you do want a DC (which is what that one is), then don't get one with the rounded body edges (like that one has, it makes the horns look like big penises :lol: )

LOL I will never look at that guitar the same way... ever

Although I could get past the plain headstock design on this one :)

Is it just me, or is that bridge angled weird?

~006

I think most of them are like that (it is on my EC-400), it's for intonation I assume - and I like the headstock on the CT series, it's nice and subtly symmetrical. And I thought you were a big maple fretboard hater, yet I see you've got two in your possession? ;)

The black one with maple was my first guitar. I didn't have a taste for things just yet. The silver one I inherited from my grandfather, it's a 25th Anniversary Strat, and it's not like I had a choice in that matter. All of the guitars I owned at the studio were all rosewood or ebony boards. Both guitars that *I* picked out for myself have rosewood. All guitars that I look at and like have rosewood or ebony boards. :p

And I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty certain the TOM on my EC1k is straight.

~006

What makes me even more curious on this topic is the fact you "006" seem to only have SSS strats but what about the ones with HSS pickups configuration? Wouldn't a humbucker give it more balls? :/

What makes me even more curious on this topic is the fact you "006" seem to only have SSS strats but what about the ones with HSS pickups configuration? Wouldn't a humbucker give it more balls? :/

I think that was the point, he's saying a strat is SSS.period.
and he's kinda right there, but there are some damn nice superstrats out there ;)

but he's right, it's not really a STRAT then anymore

I think that was the point, he's saying a strat is SSS.period.
and he's kinda right there, but there are some damn nice superstrats out there ;)

but he's right, it's not really a STRAT then anymore

I do agree... but this thread started when I asked in the first post if a Fender American Standard HSS Strat could do detuned metal well?... lol