Metal Fender Statocaster (Help!)

'Cause Charvel/Jackson made them even better :heh:

From most metal players' perspectives, this. Even if you put 'buckers and a Floyd (or block the trem) on a Strat, you still have the 9.5" radius neck to contend with. At that point, I think most would opt for a Les Paul for the chunk factor. Even a "hot-rodded" Strat falls in between two opposing camps- too cumbersome for those who prefer more modern designs and not heavy enough for the LP/Explorer crowd. A more ideal "in between" for most would be something like PRS, Schecter C1 or the like, which has a mahogany body and thinner neck. There's better choices for most players unless you really like the way Strats play.

I don't agree with the "not metal cause alder" thing at all!

pretty much all of my main metal-machines are alder (ESPs, Jacksons) or ash (Robins).

I've never had a problem with alder Jacksons or ESPs either, not from a tone point of view. I used to use an EMG-loaded alder-body Jackson for A-tuned industrial death metal stuff and never had an issue. Ultimately it's the neck shape I can't get on with with those guitars. I'll take alder over basswood any day.

Humbuckers don't belong in a Strat. Thats something to do with it...

Alder can be fine, my friend's Jackson CS Warrior is alder.

Point being, Strats weren't designed or intended to play heavy styles of music. Then again, neither were Les Pauls...but they sure do work out for it a hell of a lot better than Strats. There is a reason why companies like Jackson, Charvel, Caparison, Schecter, ESP, LTD, BC Rich, Ibanez and so many others rule the metal world when it comes to guitarist's first choices.

I'm not saying you can't use one, but don't try to convince anyone that they can do it as well as any of those guitars. It's just not true. But then again, tone is subjective and every person has different tastes, so whatever. Just my .02

~006

Point being, Strats weren't designed or intended to play heavy styles of music. Then again, neither were Les Pauls...but they sure do work out for it a hell of a lot better than Strats. There is a reason why companies like Jackson, Charvel, Caparison, Schecter, ESP, LTD, BC Rich, Ibanez and so many others rule the metal world when it comes to guitarist's first choices.

I'm not saying you can't use one, but don't try to convince anyone that they can do it as well as any of those guitars. It's just not true. But then again, tone is subjective and every person has different tastes, so whatever. Just my .02

~006

Ya you have some good points and I see where you're are coming from, I was just curious how a HSS Strat would sound in the metal area from a first hand experience which is rare because most people use the brands that you mentioned.

Eh, my complaints with strats are the comparatively round fretboard radius (as Exocaster mentioned), the wimpy cutaways, the pickguards, and the humongous neck-joint block - I'm sure a HSS strat with a good 'bucker would be passable sound-wise.

i remember seeing nile back in like '02 or so...right after "darkened shrines" came out, and karl sanders used this ugly-ass yellow strat for quite a bit of his leads throughout their set

all in all...if it's \m/ enough for nile, it's \m/ enough for me(and you too)

Not to start an argument, but then why are there so few Strats being used in metal? ~006

#1 Reason: Most metal heads want a guitar that that looks 'brutal'.

I think that was the point, he's saying a strat is SSS.period. and he's kinda right there, but there are some damn nice superstrats out there ;) but he's right, it's not really a STRAT then anymore

I sort of agree with that. I think.

I do agree... but this thread started when I asked in the first post if a Fender American Standard HSS Strat could do detuned metal well?... lol

I'm not saying you can't use one, but don't try to convince anyone that they can do it as well as any of those guitars. It's just not true. But then again, tone is subjective and every person has different tastes, so whatever. Just my .02 ~006

I've used my MusicMan tuned to B for years. Most people used some kind of strat *cough*RG*cough*Soloist*cough tuned down for death metal. Need I list them all?

All a Jackson Soloist/Fusion/Dinky, Ibanez RG, Caparison, ESP Horizon, Charvel 475, BC Rich Gunslinger, Schecter C series, Dean Vendetta, most Suhrs, Music Man Silo and countless others are all basically strats.

The only difference is minor aesthetics. slightly deeper cutaways, countours, etc. It's not to say that you can't shred on a Strat. Look at guys like Eric Johnson and Yngwie. It's about how you play the instrument, not whether the instrument is 'metal'.

If you don't see that, consider this. With your logic, a Les Paul without PAF's, or with a Kahler/Bigsby isn't a Les Paul. If you think that a Jackson isn't a strat because the neck is thinner/wider, then wouldn't that mean a 60's Les Paul isn't a Les Paul because they had a different neck profile? Does that also mean that an ESP Eclipse isn't a Les Paul because it looks slightly different? I think I get where you're coming from, at least I hope I do. I think what you're saying is that anything that doesn't look exactly like this
267850.jpg
isn't a strat. Maybe you don't think the ESP Viper is an SG either.

I don't think what a guitar is made out of really makes any difference to how 'metal' it can be. RG's are/were generally basswood, fenders alder and Gibsons mahogany but I think you could find great metal bands that play every type of guitar.

Ya you have some good points and I see where you're are coming from, I was just curious how a HSS Strat would sound in the metal area from a first hand experience which is rare because most people use the brands that you mentioned.

Again, mostly because of aesthetics, image, perception. Dumb it down a bit. If you wanted to appear brutal, you're gonna want pointy, black, etc. Does that mean you're more brutal a player? No. If you wanted to play with Hannah Montanna you'd probably play a pink or purple guitar. My point is, with the appearance, 90% of it is psychological and has nothing to do with what the instrument is capable of or what you can do with it. Don't you think people thought Godflesh was dumb for using a real 'strat'? Still came across heavy as elephant nuts though.

The 'specializing' done to metal guitars like deeper cutaways, thinner necks, wider string spacing is simply ergonomics. The huge neck heel of a Fender, dumb I think. Most Ibanez, Music Man and other good strats have a contoured heel or no heel. I wouldn't recommend setting out to get a good metal guitar. I'd look for a good guitar period. A BC Rich Mocking Bird is metal as fuck but do you really want to hold that lop-sided neck-dippin bitch up all night?

And don't forget, them Jazz guys had 7 strings way before any metalhead knew what the fuck to do with them.

/Rant

Hope no one takes that personally. I just can't believe some of the things I read on teh webz some times. Plus you caught me at a peculiar moment.

Oh and RockGuitarX, keep in mind that most of the original death metal bands, touting their Jackson/Ibanez super-strats tuned down to D and lower for a solid 10 years before any guitar companies started mass producing 7 strings. It's not if the guitar can do what you want it to. The issue is, do you know how to make the guitar do what you want it to.

JUST PLAY THE FUCKING THING AND SEE IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT - this is getting ridiculous :lol: As I mentioned, I personally just hate they way they look, as well as the feel of the shallow cutaways and big neck joint. Anyone may feel differently! :)

PS - this is not directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement about the futility of arguing over these theoretical and subjective things

For some reason I think playing brutal metal with a less brutal looking guitar is cooler than with black ESPs with EMG, Schecter, Jackson and similar.

The essential differences between a new Charvel and a new Strat are the fingerboard radius, Floyd Rose trem, and pickup configuration. There are tons of metal guitars with alder bodies and bolt-on necks. Any Floyd-equipped guitar is likely to have a lot more wood removed from important areas than a traditional Fender-routed guitar.

I think the primary issues when it comes to an HSS-equipped Strat being used for metal are aesthetics and playability, which are both completely subjective.

Do these really look that different to you?

icon_lrg_strat.gif

icon_lrg_soloist.gif

This is just my opinion and I am metallyguitarded afterall. All I'm saying is, if you put humbuckers in a hard-tail Fender Strat with an Alder body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard or single coils in a hard-tail Jackson Soloist with an Alder body, maple neck rosewood fingerboard you can turn either one into the other. The shapes are extremely similar. I mean, they're all cut from solid planks of wood into a similar shape with a neck bolted on and some hardware and electronics thrown on. Ibanez and Fender tend to favor top routed and Gibson and Jackson favor rear routed but I doubt either chose their method for tonal reasons. Anymore most 'metal' guitars have either a Floyd or a tune-o-matic and we know the tune-o-matic isn't really 'metal' either.

What wood they're made of seems less relevant than any other factor. So whether it can do metal just comes down to pickups and ones' ability but mostly the latter. You can set the action on a Strat, Les Paul or any other guitar low or high. Whether a guitar is Pink, Gieger graphics or Quilted Maple is mostly aesthetics isn't it? When I saw Godflesh and he pulled out a Strat I thought it was gonna be lame but it was one of the heaviest shows I ever saw. I just think that way more stock is put into image and perception than reality.

People used to see my Silhouette and think it was dumb but when I played they knew what was up. If I sounded better and played better than a lot of the bands we played with it was because I knew what I was doing. It wasn't because my guitar was more metal, which it clearly isn't. I don't say all that to mean that I was better than most of the bands I played with. Many other guys said they loved my sound and my playing eventhough I think I'm average. And there were plenty whom I thought blew me away that said they thought I was good. I'm not 18 anymore. I'm not trying to be the best or more metal than the rest. I just do what I do. I've seen people use some seriously non-metal gear and get awesome beerutawlz from it.

My point is... I guess it bothers me that someone would be closed minded about anything music related when music itself is full of such limitless possibilities.

Now if you compare a Gibson ES-335 and a Parker Fly Deluxe, well clearly they are worlds apart. But then again, they're both just necks with pickups to capture the same kind of strings vibrating and a body made of some shit that someone just figured would be cool to make one out of.

For some reason I think playing brutal metal with a less brutal looking guitar is cooler than with black ESPs with EMG, Schecter, Jackson and similar.

Word

I think the primary issues when it comes to an HSS-equipped Strat being used for metal are aesthetics and playability, which are both completely subjective.

Word

MetallyGuitarded: Thanks for the insight you've provided. I can tell you know your shit when it comes to strats! I have to agree the looks of the instrument are part of the music style image. I can see myself trying a strat and detuning and getting weird looks from the employees! lol I'll give it a shot and see how it works out for me. Thank you 006 and everyone else who helped out I appreciate it very mucho. :headbang:

So what kind of Les Paul are you getting rid of???

To answer your question and make lots of people ask "WTF" I'll provide you with a lovely picture ;)

DSC01153.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Custom: Duncan JB/59 with Grover tuners and black hardware

Kramer Focus 2000: YES I KNOW it's a strat HSS but I will never play this guitar because of Dimebag's autograph plus many more and shitty pickups! lol

Any other suggestions for a good metal guitar? I'm not very interested in Schecter, Ibanez. Looking for something without a Floyd Rose, Maple or Ebony fretboard and in the $1000 - $1500 range. Thanks!

Isn't your icon a Schecter? FWIW, Schecters are great!

As for the Gibson, wait for it to come in & try it out. The only opinion that really counts here is yours.

Other than that, I've really been impressed with the LTD's, I had a viper come in a few months back that sounded incredible. Great action too.
Viper-1000_STBLK.jpg

However, I'd avoid the LTD explorer copy, it's got some serious balance issues.

But for strats, Lasse certainly has the right idea. Very hard to pull off a good metal rhythm crunch with a single-coil strat.