Gibson Explorer Copies

I just built myself one with a Warmoth neck and body. Only drawback is the neck joint, playing the high frets gets a little crowded.

Never noticed that before. Meh, doesn't really bother me. As for drop tunings, I currently have it at drop C#. I have had it as low as drop B with no tuning issues--the graphite nut and Schaller locking tuners help somewhat.

Chapman Ghost Fret?

ghost_green.jpg

^ Basic model is $2,400+ US. Will Stinnett can make the same thing, or better, for a way better price.

^ Basic model is $2,400+ US. Will Stinnett can make the same thing, or better, for a way better price.

Don't knock the Ghost Fret 'til you've tried it. It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

Necrobump but it's on topic so...

I could maybe get my hands on an Epiphone Gothic Explorer with EMGs (81 and 85) and a Gigbag for 250 Euro. All the pieces of this deal would add up to 590 Euros if bought new at Thomann. So the prize seems right I guess. The question is though if the Epiphone is actually worth it. I'd have to order it so I can't try it first. Would like to set this up as a go-to Metal axe with B standard tuning.

Also: Anybody got any thoughts on the LTD EX-360? There's one on the bay right now. Basically it would serve the same purpose as the Epi mentioned above. It's got EMGs (81 and 60) as well but no case.

I think both would be a poor choice for B standard tuning. 24.75 scale length on both. You might not think its that important to consider but if your set on tuning down it really is. My gut says you would need a 25.5 minimum to actually pull this off, and even then you would be better served with a baritone, 7 string, or one of those 26' Ibanez thingies. If you were going to do one or the other intonation / feel be damned, I think the Epiphone looks cooler. I don't like the looks of the ltd at all.

Necrobump but it's on topic so...

I could maybe get my hands on an Epiphone Gothic Explorer with EMGs (81 and 85) and a Gigbag for 250 Euro. All the pieces of this deal would add up to 590 Euros if bought new at Thomann. So the prize seems right I guess. The question is though if the Epiphone is actually worth it. I'd have to order it so I can't try it first. Would like to set this up as a go-to Metal axe with B standard tuning.

Also: Anybody got any thoughts on the LTD EX-360? There's one on the bay right now. Basically it would serve the same purpose as the Epi mentioned above. It's got EMGs (81 and 60) as well but no case.

Recorded an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic this winter, and it totally surprised me.
Handled Drop-B tuning pretty well too with thick enough strings.
And that thing had stock Pups in there too.

So yeah man, I'd totally go for it.
Hell even if you don't end up digging it, you can try to sell the gigbag and the emgs and make half of the money back ;)

If I had the cash to spare I'd jump on this deal just to have a cool guitar hanging around :lol:

Edit: I've been told that Epiphones have a pretty wild range of quality though, especially since the relocated their builds or something

Thanks guys!
I know a regular guitar isn't ideal for such low tunings but I figured a lot of well-known acts did so...
I mean Amon Amarth use Explorers, In Flames (although in C standard back then), Static-X (they even use that actual Epiphone Gothic).
I remember In Flames used 60-13 strings for C standard. So maybe it's fine if I go for real thick strings? On the other hand my Jackson is impossible to get intonated when tuned real low so I'm a bit sceptical as well.

Thanks guys!
I know a regular guitar isn't ideal for such low tunings but I figured a lot of well-known acts did so...
I mean Amon Amarth use Explorers, In Flames (although in C standard back then), Static-X (they even use that actual Epiphone Gothic).
I remember In Flames used 60-13 strings for C standard. So maybe it's fine if I go for real thick strings? On the other hand my Jackson is impossible to get intonated when tuned real low so I'm a bit sceptical as well.

Maybe it was more a problem of the nut and the trussrod on the jackson though?

^Possible but I don't think so as I adjusted both for string tension and thickness. The problem is the bridge as it can't be adjusted enough to work on low tunings. Fret 7 and up are just never in tune...

I picked this up about a month ago...

20140505_170947.jpg

It was in dire need of a fret-level/set up, but once that was done (and after I slapped an EMG 57/66 set up in that son'bitch!) it absolutely fucking slayed! It's my main live axe now, total beast. Would love a Gibson but... eh, these days their QC issues are barely worth the risk of the price tag. May as well go for something cheaper and improve it.

It's the Brendon Small 'Thunderhorse' signature. I got it second hand and in a bit of a state, partly due to the previous owner, and partly due to horrendous Epiphone quality control issues. But as I said, after a fret-dress/level, new nut, a set-up and some EMG 57/66, it's an absolute monster. If I'd bought it from new though I'd be pretty pissed, for the price you pay there were some inexcusable fuck-ups, especially when other brands are making much much better guitars for the money.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about as well. Will have to have it set up, would need new vol/tone knobs, a case, probably locking tuners... Even if it's cheap it'll still be 5-600 after all.