gigs upon gigs of drum samples!?!?

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
forgive me for double posting (sort of), but I know the drum samples meta page probably doesn't get a whole lot of traffic, so I wanted to post a topic down here to get a little more attention to the idea I posted. (post #149)...

I'm looking into buying some server space to host these files permanently. imagine... no more expired links! I have toyed with the idea of getting into basic web design, so this would also be a good excuse to develop a simple page to share the samples. I would also be more than happy to maintain the page and upload new samples submitted by you guys. would anyone be interested in donating a few bucks to pay for the server space? even if I could get a couple of guys to pitch in $5 it would help (since I am currently unemployed). like I said, the initial files would total 3.6gb. it would be well worth 5 or 10 bucks for the crap ton of samples you'd be receiving, would it not? I know there are a lot of great samples you guys have been passing around the last year or so that I haven't download. I quit downloading samples when I got my Steven Slate platinum. I'm sure it would grow VERY fast from submissions from you guys. what do you guys think?

Why don't you use drop box, invite people and you'll have a lot of space for it. I think the max is 4 or 5 gigs.

And it's free!!!!

Why don't you use drop box, invite people and you'll have a lot of space for it. I think the max is 4 or 5 gigs.

And it's free!!!!

I looked into that. problem is I could see this EASILY reaching 6-8 gigs in the first few months. dropbox limits you to 3gb max. most of the samples I have in my library are from a year or so ago. I know there are a lot more newer samples out there now too. I'm sure I'd get flooded with samples once I got the ball rolling.

I thought that there was a thread w while ago where people on here were putting all their dropbox accounts together and loading it up with samples and stuff?

Anyway, if this can be done, I'll join in! I want these samples!

Why don't a few of the people who have the majority of the sample sets get a few dropbox accounts and just sticky the thread? Granted, it would be a little less organized, but obviously cheaper.

Edit: Would Adrive.com work? Free 50Gigs. Like, create one sneap user name and just post it with the link...

lol sounds like a good deal. but when I checked it was $80, not a huge difference unless you're tight on the budget.

edit: A drive seems like a better solution for this though. 50 gigs unlimited bandwith and you can upload 2gigs at a time, which isn't so bad for free.

If you do so, please organise the samples, because there is no way we will browse such an amount of samples without having an idea where to find what :)

well the dropbox is open & linked to the sneap folder but there are only 3 or 4 of us using it and i think im the only person who has bothered to up some samples and impulses so that turned into an epic fail a few weeks ago.

would ultimatemetal consider freeing up a few gigs on the server? i doubt it

i think we all donate a buck or 7 and just get the samples up - who's up for organizing em? because its going to be a fucking nightmare

well the dropbox is open & linked to the sneap folder but there are only 3 or 4 of us using it and i think im the only person who has bothered to up some samples and impulses so that turned into an epic fail a few weeks ago.

would ultimatemetal consider freeing up a few gigs on the server? i doubt it

i think we all donate a buck or 7 and just get the samples up - who's up for organizing em? because its going to be a fucking nightmare

I wouldn't mind having a go at organizing them, I have plenty of free time at the moment! Also, could you post a link to the sneap dropbox folder? I want to see whats there dude!

lol sounds like a good deal. but when I checked it was $80, not a huge difference unless you're tight on the budget.

edit: A drive seems like a better solution for this though. 50 gigs unlimited bandwith and you can upload 2gigs at a time, which isn't so bad for free.

if you click on "hosting" on the page they advertise $58.56 a year.

Sounds like a cool idea.

I'd be up for organising a portion of samples.
I wouldn't mind having a go at organizing them, I have plenty of free time at the moment!

any help would be much appreciated. I can start to work on the development of the page. I'll have to freshen up on my css and html a bit. I'll make the initial purchase of the space, then set up a donate button on the page to help cover the cost.

if some of you other guys would like to start getting the ball rolling on organizing them, that would be much help! maybe we can have people start posting dropbox links on here now and someone can start downloading them and organizing them? if a few of you would like to help with this. we can put our heads together on a filing system and split up the work. one of you take snares and kicks. one take toms, one take cymbals and other misc samples, or something like that. we'd just have to make sure when people post links to DL the samples that they specify what the samples are so they can be properly split up for the appropriate organizers.