Gimme that sound

Benzine

.flaps
Jun 13, 2003
Waltham-on-the-wolds, England
At the moment my guitar has the same pickups that came with it which aren't very good. when i play distortion it just sounds pretty bad. what pickup could i get (and amp etc) to get that crunchy distortion like on 'Symphony X - Wicked'? That would be cool.

Romeo is currently using Line 6 Vetta amp. The same technology is employed on the PODxt so you can be cheap there. If $400 is cheap for you, anyway!
Pickups: Romeo is using Dimarzio X2N for a bridge pickup and Tone Zone for the neck.
His guitars are ESP MII Deluxe's (No longer made, closest stuff: ESP LTD DELUXE M2000, unless you order a custom shop piece. The MII was mahogany, tho... :/ ).
Make sure your style can push around this ton of midrange DiMarzios generally produce, especially with Mesa/Boogie amps. Romeo's tones are generally based on the Mark IIc+ Boogie.

Now that's for the exact sound.

My suggestion: Buy a guitar that is actually descent (say, a Yamaha RGX420) and some amp modeler (say, a Digitech RP300) and THEN think if you need to be THAT pro.
You won't hear the difference if MJR played my suggestion or his rig. At least not unless you A/B them, try 'em in a mix, e.t.c..
Like YJM would say "Play with your ears".
(I love that advice!)

metropolis2k X said:
I wouldn't agree with that. I think Michael's rhythm tones are more like that of a Dual Rectifier but there is an amp which I know he likes that can do both sounds (and I wish he played it more often!) and that's the Engl Powerball.

I still think that at least on the earlier albums (before he went Line 6) the rhythm tones were the MarkII, not recto. He kind of messed up his tone in V and went for something completely different in The Odyssey. King of Terrors's rhythm tone is most definitlelly a Recto.

Zax666 said:
I still think that at least on the earlier albums (before he went Line 6) the rhythm tones were the MarkII, not recto. He kind of messed up his tone in V and went for something completely different in The Odyssey. King of Terrors's rhythm tone is most definitlelly a Recto.

I actually asked Romeo what amp models hes using on his Line 6 Vetta, and he said for leads hes using the Bogner model, and for rhythm hes using the Engl.

And M-IIs are still made, its just production ESPs are no longer available in the US. In fact, the same model Romeo uses is still being produced in Europe and a slightly different version is available in Japan. If you live in the US I think the best bet would be to find a dealer that can get European guitars, real ESPs absolutely slay LTDs. And M-IIs are alder, not mahogany.