Need Help on some Gear issues. HELP!

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
It's getting to the stage where i need to replace my shitty Ibanez pickups and replace my old shitty Fender Twin and Korg Effects unit. The sound is trully 'yuk'

I am thinking of getting a Mesa Nomad 55 2X12 combo. I tested it out in the local music store with my guitar and the clean and lead tone are amazing....but the high-gain distortion channel (metal riffin' sound) wasn't as good. The guy then gave me a guitar that was almist the same as mine (Ibanez RG7420) only with custom Dimarzio pickups...as you will know allready the saound was 45145135134908 times better.

So I've decided to get some new pickups. Im wondering what to get from DiMarzio. How does a Evolution 7 bridge pickup with a Air Norton 7 neck pickup sound? All this going through a Mesa Nomad 55 2X12 combo?

So what Im actually asking people in the Symphony X forum is if anyone knows what pickups MJR uses? And what amp did he use in DWOT? I know he uses a Vetta through a mesa cab now, but what about then?

PS: i know this belongs in the musicians corner, but the main forum gets way more traffic and i need more replies ect..

Mr. Shred-ididle So what Im actually asking people in the Symphony X forum is if anyone knows what pickups MJR uses? QUOTE said:
He uses (at least he used to) EMG actives in the studio and Duncans live. your best bet for getting the best range from a 7 string by using EMG 707's or the Evolution 7's. I dont know why he doesnt use the EMG's live, mabie its a feedback issue, or mabie just a endorsement thing...

what Marshalls do you suggest? I Can't afford any of their famouse quads, so what 2X12 combo's do you think is the best? From what I've heard, Marshalls have plenty of good chunky distortion sounds, but their clean sound isn't too good. a guitar technition has told me that Marshalls aren't overly reliable and they allways breakdown. I may be wrong about this tho.

Good lord, don't go with anything Marshall! Unless you want to sound like bright high end brittle crap. Mesa is a much better company in terms of, well, everything. Marshall is just living on their name. Romeo uses Dimarzios, X2N in the bridge, Tone Zone in the neck. Cool combo, but pretty unique to his style, if you want some more versatility I would say a tone zone in the bridge and paf pro in the neck is a sure fire combo for a lot of different characteristics. Evolutions are cool, but require a lot of gain and saturation to sound good. If you like a sound with a lot of saturation (reverb/delay/high gain) they are dandy. If you go for a more classic rock sound here and there and like clarity, I wouldn't use em cause they sound bright and don't have enough character. Air Nortons are nice, Petrucci uses one in the neck position these days. A good kinda mellow low end sound. I use one in my Ibanez, and it sounds pretty damn good for leads. I guess the one negative is that it lacks some of the balls you might be looking for in a lead sound. It always seems mellow.

In terms of cabinets, highly underappreciated are Carvin Legacy Cabs. You can get them new from musiciansfriend with delivery for about $550 for a 4x12 and 350 for a 2x12. Vintage 30s speakers and endorsed and USED by Steve Vai live. He used em on G3 for the past couple years.

VHT makes some really solid cabinets as well

The Peavey 5150 is also a really amazing amp for the price. Coupled with a nice reverb unit gives ya a really professional sound for around $600.

NO MARSHALS!

SyXified said:
Good lord, don't go with anything Marshall! Unless you want to sound like bright high end brittle crap. Mesa is a much better company in terms of, well, everything. Marshall is just living on their name. Romeo uses Dimarzios, X2N in the bridge, Tone Zone in the neck. Cool combo, but pretty unique to his style, if you want some more versatility I would say a tone zone in the bridge and paf pro in the neck is a sure fire combo for a lot of different characteristics. Evolutions are cool, but require a lot of gain and saturation to sound good. If you like a sound with a lot of saturation (reverb/delay/high gain) they are dandy. If you go for a more classic rock sound here and there and like clarity, I wouldn't use em cause they sound bright and don't have enough character. Air Nortons are nice, Petrucci uses one in the neck position these days. A good kinda mellow low end sound. I use one in my Ibanez, and it sounds pretty damn good for leads. I guess the one negative is that it lacks some of the balls you might be looking for in a lead sound. It always seems mellow.

In terms of cabinets, highly underappreciated are Carvin Legacy Cabs. You can get them new from musiciansfriend with delivery for about $550 for a 4x12 and 350 for a 2x12. Vintage 30s speakers and endorsed and USED by Steve Vai live. He used em on G3 for the past couple years.

VHT makes some really solid cabinets as well

The Peavey 5150 is also a really amazing amp for the price. Coupled with a nice reverb unit gives ya a really professional sound for around $600.

NO MARSHALS!

Are you sure he uses dimarzios? I swear I read in a interview or something that he uses Duncan Distortions live..

Dimarzios are the best passive pickups in the world

remember this when it comes to marshalls:

solid state new marshalls = :puke:
old vintage (i.e. 1970's) tube marshall plexis = :headbang:

if your gonna get anything marshall, get the JMP-1 preamp or the 1960 cabs.

Im still stickin with mesa power amps, simul-class 2:50 or 2:90 (good luck getting a 2:95)..best bang for your buck..as far as legacy cabs, well, ive never seen anyone abuse there cabs as much as Steve Vai, and they still sound the same from the first show, right up to the last..

Forget the Duncans and the EMG's.
Dimarzio are the first and last word for 7 string pickups

An evolution in the bridge and a PAF7 in the neck should scream.

I'm wondering....who has any thoughts / experience on the LINE 6 combos?

My comments about Marshalls....yes Shreddy, your friend is right. They were a disaster on the road when pushed. Techs had to take a parts supply along. But it was worth it to guitarists who were devoted to the heavy Marshall sound. I personally am not turned off by the solid state Marshall for practice / small club use, because I know Marshall put a lot into getting a decent design and electronics together when they introduced their new line some years ago. Problem is the quality of parts and speakers are nothing like they used to be. But, what is ????????? Someone tell me a company that mass produces an amp and uses all top quality components, speakers, etc.

Shreddy, why don't you build one yourself that will serve your needs now for low volume practice and in the future when you are performing in some sizeable rooms. (I'm serious)

Julz said:
Forget the Duncans and the EMG's.
Dimarzio are the first and last word for 7 string pickups

An evolution in the bridge and a PAF7 in the neck should scream.

agreed, wernt they the first people to make (or mass produce) 7 string pickups for the Universes and Vai's machines? id say EMG 707's are a close second though,. and duncans = shit..I cant believe people like them..

heres some interesting info into the history of the 7 string guitar, if anyone doesnt already know or is at all interested..

http://www.pentasystem.com/7string.index.html

Pharoah said:
Someone tell me a company that mass produces an amp and uses all top quality components, speakers, etc.

Shreddy, why don't you build one yourself that will serve your needs now for low volume practice and in the future when you are performing in some sizeable rooms. (I'm serious)

Line6 comes to mind, at least on there higher end amps..

and, isnt that what the POD 2.0 is for? I use it with headphones, great for apartments....but I would never be caught dead using it live though...

Pharoah said:
I'm wondering....who has any thoughts / experience on the LINE 6 combos?

My comments about Marshalls....yes Shreddy, your friend is right. They were a disaster on the road when pushed. Techs had to take a parts supply along. But it was worth it to guitarists who were devoted to the heavy Marshall sound. I personally am not turned off by the solid state Marshall for practice / small club use, because I know Marshall put a lot into getting a decent design and electronics together when they introduced their new line some years ago. Problem is the quality of parts and speakers are nothing like they used to be. But, what is ????????? Someone tell me a company that mass produces an amp and uses all top quality components, speakers, etc.

Well im not after an amp that serves my practice needs. I'm after an amp that will serve me for years and years whenever Im playing a gig, on tour or just a practicing amp for at home...with the max quality, tone and reliability that serves a very diverse range of music (not just that big heavy metal Marshall sound, coz i play alot of fusion, jazz, blues ect.. too). And the Mesa Mark IV seems to be just that.

About the Line 6, I know that they are technologically some of the most incredible amps in existance, and forget about the PODs. MJR uses the Vetta on tour and out very own Matt (Yngvai X) actually sold his Mesa Mark IV to get a Line 6 HD140 (i think its a 140). Matt loves it, and from the song he showed me of it, it is very good. But I still want that warmer tube tone of the Mesa's:headbang: .

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Well im not after an amp that serves my practice needs. I'm after an amp that will serve me for years and years whenever Im playing a gig, on tour or just a practicing amp for at home...with the max quality, tone and reliability that serves a very diverse range of music (not just that big heavy metal Marshall sound, coz i play alot of fusion, jazz, blues ect.. too). And the Mesa Mark IV seems to be just that.

About the Line 6, I know that they are technologically some of the most incredible amps in existance, and forget about the PODs. MJR uses the Vetta on tour and out very own Matt (Yngvai X) actually sold his Mesa Mark IV to get a Line 6 HD140 (i think its a 140). Matt loves it, and from the song he showed me of it, it is very good. But I still want that warmer tube tone of the Mesa's:headbang: .

ever thought about going all rack with a 4x12? theres plenty of tube goo from most of the all tube mesa power amps, throw in a nice multi-effects tube preamp and combine it with a good 4x12 and you'll be all set...

WoW! Thanks for the link RobbM, Fascinating stuff there, I would never have guessed.

I know it's there for functionality purposes but the guitar would look awesome if it was just a 22 fret with more traditional pickup spacing. As a 24 fret it looks a bit awkward and imbalanced.

Julz said:
WoW! Thanks for the link RobbM, Fascinating stuff there, I would never have guessed.

I know it's there for functionality purposes but the guitar would look awesome if it was just a 22 fret with more traditional pickup spacing. As a 24 fret it looks a bit awkward and imbalanced.

yeah, most of his guitars are like that, I mean Alex Gregory is a fuckin nut case, but, nonetheless a genus, his "big" album featured a urine trail leading to steve vai's grave, and yngwies grave was right next to it..lol...

RobbM said:
agreed, wernt they the first people to make (or mass produce) 7 string pickups for the Universes and Vai's machines? id say EMG 707's are a close second though,. and duncans = shit..I cant believe people like them..

heres some interesting info into the history of the 7 string guitar, if anyone doesnt already know or is at all interested..

http://www.pentasystem.com/7string.index.html

"Maestro" Alex Gregory is a hack. Listen to the clips of him playing. Not only is his tone shite (contrary to what his products claim), but his playing is truly horrible.

Besides, he's full of shit when it comes to his "patent" and "invention" of the 7 string guitar. It HAD been done before he patented it, and his claims as to why those early attempts were inferior and somehow invalid compared to his, are total and utter horseshit. At the end of the day, the clips of his playing are a good indicator of how seriously you should take his oh-so-omniscient words of "wisdom". I've heard 16 year-olds with better technique and phrasing.

he never claimed he invented the 7 string guitar, he pantented the first SOLID BODY ELECTRIC 7 string, big difference there..
and yeah, his playing is shit..although I have heard worse..
Frankly I think Uli Jon Roth pwns his ass...Uli is truly a Maestro of the guitar..