Give me recommendations please!

LostinReverie

God of all things
Jan 25, 2006
Augusta, Georgia
I'm relatively new to metal. Been really getting into it the past 2-3 years. I've evolved from Slipknot/Mudvayne all the way to At the gates/COB/Dark tranquility. Problem is...I tend to gravitate towards metal with clean vocals. I don't mind the growling, but it's not my thing. And not TOO clean of vocals like Dragonforce.

So recommend some bands with vocals similar to Katatonia and really epic guitar licks or synth effects. Moody, dark stuff that has a good flow.

(I do realize that I may NEVER find anything as good as Katatonia:yell: )

Thanks in advance.

wish I could help you out here........but Katatonia is one of the only bands I listen to that sound anything like them in metal....there are songs by other bands I love but not so much bands....at least not in metal.....now if your going for feeling I would recommend "Red House Painters"....check out Jeff Buckley........my metal tastes are usually way more extreme than Katatonia......like Aborym....and Dodheimsgard.....

youll get some good advice here.....I would also look through some old threads.....much much info there....

affinityband said:
Pain of salvation
Ayreon
Nevermore
Opeth

None of these bands sound like katatonia. All of them are outdone by katatonia. Cept maybe Opeth. They are both borderline for me.

I love Opeth, can't really get into Nevermore's vocalist. For me, vocals are what makes or breaks metal bands. I just can't get into the overdone 80's style sweeping vocals like Dragonforce, Nevermore, Dream theatre. Or the operatic style of Nightwish. For me the perfec vocals are Katatonia, TOOL, Opeth non-growling, Rapture non-growling.

VampiricYouth said:
Paradise Lost
Rapture
Amorphis
Fragile Hollow
Klimt1918
Evergrey
Lacrimas Profundere
The Birthday Massacre

since when lacrimas profundere were all clean vocals?

ok....here it goes some of my favourite bands

green carnation
porcupine tree
anathema

even thpugh they dont play as katatonia, you may like them.

VampiricYouth said:
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Check out The 3rd And The Mortal 'Tears Laid In Earth'. It's really 'moody, dark stuff', with female vocals, but not operatic , nor the sound is 'symphonic'.