Give me suggestions...

bsharp

New Metal Member
Feb 21, 2007
...on where to start with Katatonia. They're a band I've been meaning to check out for a while that I've just never got around to, until now. I saw them recently in Nashville with Opeth and it's time to do this.

What album would be best to start with?

Thanks everyone.

Katatonia is a band that have released many quality albums with differing moods and atmosphere's. I would say start with their newest album then jump around until you get all of their stuff (FYI they never released a bad album). Mikael from Opeth is the primary singer on Brave Murder Day, an album from 1996, when they were more of a heavier doom band - that's a great album to get but wouldn't represent their newest sound.

Yeah start with the latest I guess - uses more additional keyboards and effects than other albums previously but still maintains the sound that make Katatonia, Katatonia. Actually their ability to use the additional effects without drowning the music (like a lot of lame goth metal bands do) but rather enhance and mold into the music showcases just how brilliant the band is. I don't know what sort of music your into, but probably make DO one of the last albums you pick up not because it is clearly the weakest album rather because you might (or may not for that matter) take a while to get used to it, so good to get a feel for the overall Katatonia feel so you can appreciate it more easily when you do get it. Anyone of Brave Murder Day (usually comes with SoD EP), Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Done, The Great Cold Distance or Tonight's Decision are decent second albums.

Mikael from Opeth is the primary singer on Brave Murder Day, an album from 1996, when they were more of a heavier doom band - that's a great album to get but wouldn't represent their newest sound
True, but a lot of what you hear on DO, TD, LFDGD still bears many similarities with Brave Murder Day.

I originally tried to get into them with their newer material and just passed them off as some over-produced alternative metal band. Go for their first record and work your way up to their newer material if you have the same problem I did :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...next time I find myself in a music store (I still buy CDs...lame, I know) I'll get something...depending on what's in stock.

I buy cds all the time and I own an iPod. I love having the actual item and being able to listen to music at work wouldn't be possible w/o an iPod.