Globalization

Silent Song said:
are you for the expansion and assimilation of culture to unify a larger group, or the conservation of tradition and identity as individuals representing history?

Globalism, formerly called "internationalism," is anti-culture. I'd never support it.

When I hear "globalization," I think of watching a meeting of the UN and hearing a hundred different langauges in the same room. I don't think of a McDonalds on every corner of every world city or MTV Mongolia. I think cultural domination of thw world as a result of economic globalization is being committed in the name of cultural globalization. The two are not tantamount.

i don't think you can have fair or equal globalisation when the globalisation and interlinking of economies, cultures etc is among countries of different stages of development. when there is one superpower on a stage with smaller, weaker, poorer countries, globalisation is going to be tantamount to domination. and as cultural globalisation is virtually a direct result of economic globalisation, cultural globalisation will be tantamount to cultural domination.

globalisation will never result in a UN meeting with hundreds of languages being spoken, let alone being understood. it will result in english being spoken, with an american accent.

anonymousnick2001 said:
The misinterpretation of globalization seems to be the amalgamation of all the world's cultures and individual heritages and identities into a sloppy grey boredom.

I interpret globalization as the communication of the world's diversity to overcome differences and expose various cultures to various other cultures. Education over ignorance. Familiarity over alienation. Brotherhood over conflict. It's a very Islamic way to look at it, I suppose.

When I hear "globalization," I think of watching a meeting of the UN and hearing a hundred different langauges in the same room. I don't think of a McDonalds on every corner of every world city or MTV Mongolia. I think cultural domination of thw world as a result of economic globalization is being committed in the name of cultural globalization. The two are not tantamount.

You make me want to wear a tiedye t-shirt. :p

Unfortunately, that sure as hell doesn't seem to be how globalization works. I suppose that's because your view is idealistic and naive.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I interpret globalization as the communication of the world's diversity to overcome differences and expose various cultures to various other cultures.

What is the value of that?

'm seeing things from this part of the world, and apparently my view is different from yours in the western world..
I think after the huge effects of colonization of the late 19th until mid 20th century, people had lost a big part of their identity imo. for example, we were colonized by France, now when you walk downtown, most of the buildings have a french mark, french became the language of education right after the junior high school, we use it a lot in our speaking just like a native language (even tho the level of speaking among people is increasing becoz of the education system decline). People are getting things the wrong way i believe, they reject their own language by calling it a language of retarded (which is a retarded statement itself lol), reject their own traditions and rebel against moral rules (like, yelling at your parents coz you simply saw someone doing it in a Hollywood movie as a symbol of freedom) as well as against religion (if you refuse your religion, that means you have a free intellectual mind... ). And the problem that annoys me the most, is the idealization of the western world, whatever they do/say is correct and good and sophisticated . I mean, it's really fine to criticize your society in order to progress, I'm not a conservative person but losing the love of the land where you were born and raised is really dangerous.
The other thing is, globalization can lead people to chaos. It helps leaking false informations and change people's views in a smooth and quick way.
But in the other hand, i think it is helps people to progress in many ways, this forum can be an example, since i've been coming here , i learned a lot of stuff that expanded my knowledge, checking people's artistic work and stuff.. learn other cultures and languages and so on. ain't that bad after all

Globalization is being pushed on the world population for express purpose of consolidating power while removing the power from the people. With consolidation and removal of power you also have the consolidation and removal of wealth from the people, since you cannot of power without wealth.

The misinterpretation of globalization seems to be the amalgamation of all the world's cultures and individual heritages and identities into a sloppy grey boredom.

I interpret globalization as the communication of the world's diversity to overcome differences and expose various cultures to various other cultures. Education over ignorance. Familiarity over alienation. Brotherhood over conflict. It's a very Islamic way to look at it, I suppose.

Globalization is very promising but what in reality is happening is otherwise. I agree with Speed. I actually wrote about globalization and its effects specifically to the educational systems in third world countries. What we refer to as globalization right now is actually US-imperialism. In market and in culture. US-backed WB and IMF impose structural adjustment programs to a third world nation. This eventually ruins its local economy. The conditions favor the building of infrastructures and the paying of debt thus prompting the state to abandon education, health care. In turn, institutions that provide basic services (water, electricity etc.) as well as the schools and hospitals become privatized. In education for instance this lead to tuition increases thus education as a right is lost.

Well the US has gone nearly bankrupt doing so, so it won't last much longer. And instead of cultural Globalization we will merely see a global fuedalistic society where the have nots are perpetually controlled and treated like shit by the haves.

Globalization has its ups and downs, and it could work. Is it a good idea though? no. See, in the world as it is there is just enough co existence via our governments and this here internet that we could, if needed, cooperate toward a goal, and sometimes do. Unification would mean the need for a bigger government, a bigger government would mean more structure, and structure is a fancy way to say restriction. Even in the midst of the "freedom" we experience here in america, we're not totally free, within the constructs of society there are chains and bars of intolerance that can't be broken, this is amplified by the highly bias government agenda. An agenda of christian ideals and spending money we dont have on frivilous things we don't need. A larger government would no doubt just put more people like that in power, NOT a good idea.

sorry derek... i was in a rush to finish the post.
but i am in strong agreement that globalization is a bad things.