Gluing

"gluing" is just a term used to express a well-mixed song.

ie... how certain instruments fit in the mix in terms of compression/eq etc. etc.

a lot this "gluing" effect is a result of stereo buss compression... hence the solid joke regarding my elmer's glue bottle with the ssl 4000 g bus comp ;)

gluing everything together is highly determined on the mix itself (how much compression/limiting is occurring in the mix already).

in most cases people get a bit carried away with compression (as you might already know) ...this will result in an undesirable pumping sound which inevitably reduces the "listenability" of your song. =\

subjective or not... if you over compress everything, it's almost impossible to listen to.

"gluing" is just a term used to express a well-mixed song.

ie... how certain instruments fit in the mix in terms of compression/eq etc. etc.

a lot this "gluing" effect is a result of stereo buss compression... hence the solid joke regarding my elmer's glue bottle with the ssl 4000 g bus comp ;)

gluing everything together is highly determined on the mix itself (how much compression/limiting is occurring in the mix already).

in most cases people get a bit carried away with compression (as you might already know) ...this will result in an undesirable pumping sound which inevitably reduces the "listenability" of your song. =

subjective or not... if you over compress everything, it's almost impossible to listen to.
Thanks a lot....

So now if joey doesn't use compression how does use SSL... OR does he just not ue compression on the master bus...

I just started using mix bus compression do you have any beginner advice for mixing with it I noticed things sit easier and makes the bass tighter but fader moves don't react as you'd typically expect them to

Agreed, I've been having trouble with that too. How are you supposed to use bus compression effectively? And what are some examples of things you would recommend that I try bussing together? A full drum kit w/ OHs? Bass + guitars? Clean + unclean vox? Like some other people here, I'm interested by this technique but completely unfamiliar with it.

but fader moves don't react as you'd typically expect them to

The faders are not linear (at the low end of the fader moving 5mm changes from -100dB to -60dB and on the upper range it changes from -3dB to -0dB) and behaviour just changes to more logarithmic than it already is, so if you want something louder, you just have to crank it more from the fader.

How are you supposed to use bus compression effectively? And what are some examples of things you would recommend that I try bussing together?

Bus similar items together, like drums or guitars or vocals (minus the lead, you don't want that to pump)

The faders are not linear (at the low end of the fader moving 5mm changes from -100dB to -60dB and on the upper range it changes from -3dB to -0dB) and behaviour just changes to more logarithmic than it already is, so if you want something louder, you just have to crank it more from the fader.

Bus similar items together, like drums or guitars or vocals (minus the lead, you don't want that to pump)

okay so you stereo bus compress like items... and this is on top of the compression/eq youve already done for each channel ?

when i say i dont use compression, i'm talking about on individual tracks. the only compressor i use is on the master bus, vocals, and overheads. everything else is uncompressed.

I'm guessing it's going to be negative, but whats your opinion on what I like to refer to as "magic plugins"... throwing stuff like Ozone on a track (not on the master) to make it better. Consensus here seems to be plugins like this are unnecessary but occasionally I hear people singing praises about them. Do you use anything like this at all, or do you stick to a thorough use of a basic toolkit (EQ)

when i say i dont use compression, i'm talking about on individual tracks. the only compressor i use is on the master bus, vocals, and overheads. everything else is uncompressed.

Thank you... so 1176ln or se on the channels? And SSL COMP and ozone limiter and harmonic exciter in master bus right...