GMD Poll: Best song on At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours

What is the best song on At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours?

• The Red in the Sky is Ours / The Season to Come

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Claws of Laughter Dead

• Night Comes, Blood Black

• City of Screaming Statues

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vegard Pompey

ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU
Feb 26, 2008
Duwang
This is the first in a series of polls to determine the community's favorite songs on the highest-ranked albums in the GMD yearly polls. Eligible albums (any that scored 50 points or higher) will be done in a randomized order, to keep you all in perpetual suspense. First up is...

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
At-the-Gates-The-Red-in-the-Sky-is-Ours.jpg

Ranked #3 for the year 1992 with 69 points
  1. The Red in the Sky is Ours / The Season to Come
  2. Kingdom Gone
  3. Through Gardens of Grief
  4. Within
  5. Windows
  6. Claws of Laughter Dead
  7. Neverwhere
  8. The Scar
  9. Night Comes, Blood Black
  10. City of Screaming Statues
Vote for your favorite track! The poll will stay open for 2 weeks, in case you need to think this over real hard... I can't blame you.

Actually, this is really easy for me. While every song on this album is near perfect, Neverwhere is the pinnacle. Phenomenal song structure and progressions and deeply thought-provoking lyrics.

Reactions: CiG
I think this is something like a 4-way tie for me between Kingdom Gone, Within, Neverwhere and City of Screaming Statues.

voting for the title track, 'windows', 'claws of laughter dead', 'the scar' or 'night comes, blood black' would be inexplicable to me. the rest are fair game, all 10/10s in my book.

Voted for "Through Gardens of Grief", but it's really hard to view the tracks apart from each other on such a dynamic and cohesive record. I can hear the next track every time I think back at a particular track.

Reactions: Phylactery
It's pretty edgy and and shallow compared to anything else on the album. There's a reason it's the one song that survived into their newer setlists.

maybe, but 95% of other death metal is edgy and shallow compared to that song. structurally it's still pretty weird and elaborate by metal's usual standards, and neither the twisted nightmare riffs nor the epic crescendo they morph into sound like anything from any other band's catalogue. the transition from the soaring emotion of the 'inverted we've lived our lives' passage back into the song's darkest riff with that second 'FOREVERRRRR' is probably my all-time favourite in any metal song tbh; an unbelievably fucking haunting and malevolent denial of catharsis.

in other words it owns your ass nigga

Went with Within, but I could have gone for Through Gardens of Grief, Neverwhere or Kingdom Gone.

It's pretty edgy and and shallow compared to anything else on the album. There's a reason it's the one song that survived into their newer setlists.

I’d say this about Windows, which is probably the least unique song on the record and sounds closest to what they’d do later. Still a great song though.

Last edited: