GMD Poll: Top 10 Metal Albums of 2003

Well it should be obvious what my number one pick for this year is going to be. I've got a lot of relistening to do before I can order the rest though.

1. Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
2. Grave Digger - Rheingold
3. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath
4. DoomSword - Let Battle Commence
5. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
6. Bathory - Nordland II
7. Fairyland - Of Wars in Osyrhia
8. Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
9. Kamelot - Epica
10. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller

Last edited:
Sargeist - Satanic Black Devotion
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Drawn and Quartered - Extermination Revelry
Trivium - Ember to Inferno
DevilDriver - DevilDriver
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride
Opeth - Damnation
Enslaved - Below the Lights

Slough Feg is going to miss out on the top 10 because of people's inconsistency between calling them Slough Feg and The Lord Weird Slough Feg, essentially splitting their votes in half.

That's actually the case in Spotify. They've been split into two separate artists with different albums on each listing. Fucking annoying.

That's actually the case in Spotify. They've been split into two separate artists with different albums on each listing. Fucking annoying.

That's true; I've seen it for meself.

But that's actually less annoying than completely different artists of the same name being merged together on a single page.

Reactions: -CC-
Oh yeah. I had no idea the masterminds behind Slumber of Sullen Eyes also wrote classics such as "The Pride of General Custer".

Reactions: Serjeant Grumbles
No order. Just validate the first ten, like last time.

Reverend Bizarre - Harbinger of Metal
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Bathory - Nordland II
The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller
Nunslaughter - Goat
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
While Heaven Wept - Of Empires Forlorn
Grave Digger - Rheingold
Sargeist - Satanic Black Devotion
Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Darkthrone - Hate Them
DoomSword - Let The Battle Commence
Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
Blood Duster - Blood Duster
John Arch - A Twist of Fate
Drawn and Quartered - Extermination Revelry
Twisted Tower Dire - Crest of the Martyrs
Grand Magus - Monument
Vital Remains - Dechristianize
Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride
Marilyn Manson - The Golden Age of Grotesque
Overkill - Killbox 13
Deströyer 666 - Terror Abraxas
Portal - Seepia

Last edited:
This year is gonna have a wild top 10. So far it seems only Drudkh and Slough Feg will be for-sure's. I had predicted Blut Aus Nord to win this year, but so far I'm the only guy who voted for them? UM done changed.

Oh yeah. I had no idea the masterminds behind Slumber of Sullen Eyes also wrote classics such as "The Pride of General Custer".

<video>

What in the fuck is this? This is pretty fucking weird stuff actually. Only CDBaby could publish music as avant-garde as this.

Like the tracklisting reveals that this album contains two 11 minute songs, a 13 minute song, two 17 minute songs, and a 20 minute song. One of these 11 minute songs rotates between cheap synth-banjo and wall-of-sampling-bullshit noise-metal for its duration as far as I can tell. Other songs sound like a Z-rate redneck Cocteau Twins. This is visionary. Far more interesting than Slumber. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited: