GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1997

Copyright date does not automatically mean release date. It could easily be that the band finished recording a record in year X but not released it until year Y. They don't copyright it year Y when it's released, they copyright it year X because that's the earliest date at which the product became the band's IP. If they copyrighted it year Y there is always the potential someone could claim against that date and not the actually recorded date.

The later copyright would usually be because of a change that was made since the first copyright was issued. That change could be heaps of things, including the cover art was changed in year Y but the physical CD was not therefore the CD does not require the updated copyright information that the cover does.

In the USA, copyright doesn't even require an issue. It's automatic.

© HamburgerBoy, 2019

Copyright date does not automatically mean release date. It could easily be that the band finished recording a record in year X but not released it until year Y. They don't copyright it year Y when it's released, they copyright it year X because that's the earliest date at which the product became the band's IP. If they copyrighted it year Y there is always the potential someone could claim against that date and not the actually recorded date.

The later copyright would usually be because of a change that was made since the first copyright was issued. That change could be heaps of things, including the cover art was changed in year Y but the physical CD was not therefore the CD does not require the updated copyright information that the cover does.
yea i think Bloopy mentioned this about 10 pages back.

And arent the CD's usually the last part of the albums manufacturing process? i honestly have no clue about that one tbh.

There are different copyrights for different circumstance and they protect different things but the bottom line is that they can't be used to definitively declare a release date.

It's also why I suggested just pick one site and go with it for all polls.

I don't even know anyone who owns it let alone cared enough to get on the day of release, but I do know they were doing release party gigs in Melbourne in 1997. But that still proves nothing definitive.

So TechBae, when confronted with the fact that the photos of the D666 album show '1997', just ignores that and assumes the Discogs entry is correct? lmao. All evidence shows it was released in 1997.

So TechBae, when confronted with the fact that the photos of the D666 album show '1997', just ignores that and assumes the Discogs entry is correct? lmao. All evidence shows it was released in 1997.
yo moron, im the one who checked discogs first where it literally says and shows all the info that we have all already mentioned in this thread, that it says 1997 on the disc but 1996 on the back of the album. BUT I THOUGHT YOUR GIGANTIC FOREHEAD MEANT YOU'RE NOT AN IDIOT. ARE YOU ONCE AGAINZ HAVING TROUBLE FOLLOWING CONVERSATIONZ? DO YOU NEEDZ ME TO LINK DA PHOTOS?? :lol:

EDIT:
R-5355706-1391348119-7652.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
6) Songs of Moors and Misty Fields by Empyrium
When the shadows fall and the sun sets in us all ...
Empyrium-Songs-Of-Moors-And-Misty-Fields-40583-1_2.jpg

"songs of moors and misty fields - Probably the closest thing to doom i had listened to at the time. I remember finding the appeal in the melancholy of it all, which soon led me to in the woods...amorphis, and agalloch. Later to other forms of doom." @spikes77

"All of their albums are great, but check out A Wintersunset... and Songs Of Moors & Misty Fields, then if you feel like hearing what Empyrium has to offer from a purely folk perpective (which I suggest you do) check out their last two releases Where At Night The Wood Grouse Plays and Weiland." @Mort Divine

"Songs of Moors and Misty Fields and Where At Night the Wood Grouse Plays are my favorites by them. Great folk/doom. I have a mix by them on my iTunes that I sometimes just let play before I go to sleep." @Einherjar86

" Empyrium... I've only listened to Songs of Moors & Misty Fields. The clean vocals do kill it for me. Blue Mists & Mourners are both decent songs and the harsh vocals are solid." @UltimateApathy

Chosen By:
@dwellerINTHEdark (#1)
@Serjeant Grumbles (#1)
@spikes77 (#3)
@Mort Divine (#3)

TOTAL POINTS: 36
I checked this out after the poll results. Love it. These threads are a great resource.

yo moron, im the one who checked discogs first where it literally says and shows all the info that we have all already mentioned in this thread, that it says 1997 on the disc but 1996 on the back of the album. BUT I THOUGHT YOUR GIGANTIC FOREHEAD MEANT YOU'RE NOT AN IDIOT. ARE YOU ONCE AGAINZ HAVING TROUBLE FOLLOWING CONVERSATIONZ? DO YOU NEEDZ ME TO LINK DA PHOTOS?? :lol:

EDIT:
R-5355706-1391348119-7652.jpeg.jpg

All the other photos show 1997, and the band themselves claimed it came out in March 1997.

1236.jpg

01. Stratovarius - Visions
Favorite song: "Forever Free"

3207.jpg

02. Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out in Space
Favorite song: "The Guardians of Mankind"

614-luLafiL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

03. Valentine - 4 - United
Favorite song: "Back on the Track"

MS00NDUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

04. Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Favorite song: "Change the World"