• Necrophobic
  • Thy Catafalque
  • Alkaloid
  • Chapel of Disease
  • Solar Temple
  • Satan
  • Ataraxy
Top 50 of 2018 (All genres) on RYM

Urfaust is definitely AOTY, checking all my boxes for Doom/Atmoblack as expected. Entropia nailed an interesting psychedelic mix of Stoner/Black that is easily described as a 'warmer and more inviting cousin of Oranssi Pazuzu'. Those two standouts mentioned: I gotta say it's been a great year for death metal. Many of y'all know I listen to almost exclusively moody, droney, hypnotic stuff (Atmoblack, Black/Folk, or Stoner/Doom/Psych/etc.) but Beyond Creation & Alkaloid truly nailed it in the Prog/Tech arena. Necrophobic delivered an energetic & catchy melodic Black/Death reminiscent of a thicker Dissection-y sound, Chapel of Disease created a very enjoyable and well rounded Trad/Death/Black mix, and Ataraxy showing a unique take on a Death/Doom with a refreshingly thin, more haunting sounding than I've ever heard.

Non-Metal shoutouts to:
Somali Yacht Club (Stoner/Prog/Post Rock)
Onségen Ensemble (Prog/Experimental Rock)
Ulvesang (Acoustic Dark Folk)
Winterfylleth (British Dark Folk)
Danheim (Nordic Dark Folk)

Is this is ranked in order or do you want each album to receive a 5.5??

Reactions: Draehl
Had some other front runners at the time but most of them have fallen away. RYM lists Maggot Heart as metal but I don’t think I’m inclined to count it, or it’d likely be my number one.

1. Deceased - Ghostly White
2. Lethean - The Waters of Death
3. Judas Priest - Firepower
4. Druid Lord - Grotesque Offerings
5. Satan - Cruel Magic
6. Drawn and Quartered - The One Who Lurks
7. Age of Taurus - The Colony Slain
8. Clandestine Blaze - Tranquility of Death
9. Haunt - Burst Into Flame
10. Vargrav - Netherstorm

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
I’ll have my list by the 2nd, but I haven’t listened to much this year. Any great black, power, or death albums I need to hear?

Black metal:

Panphage - Jord
Communion - At the Announcement (if you like INRI and the South American extreme metal scene in general)
Mooncitadel - Moon Calls to Wander the Winter’s Masjesty
Vargrav - Netherstorm
Sorcier des Glaces - S/T
Uruk - Nihilistic Warfare in Inhuman Realms
Nachash - Phantasmal Triunity
Aorlhac - L’espirit des vents

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I’ll have my list by the 2nd, but I haven’t listened to much this year. Any great black, power, or death albums I need to hear?
I don't listen to a lot of power metal, but I really do enjoy Lovebites' "Clockwork Immortality". This is one of my favourite songs:

Their heaviest song (except for the middle part) is to be found on their "Battle Against Damnation"-EP, which was also released in 2018:

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I probably like Drengskapr the most, but even then I don't think they quite rise to the level of hype I see around the place. I admit it means a lot less coming from me because black metal isn't really my thing, but I find them somewhat boring, like a few tracks in and everything just feels like it's dragging. Like paint drying at times, especially Jord.

Definitely think Arckanum are better though, Fran Marder and ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ slay me and are way more engaging and interesting to me. Fucking love the drum sound on both albums, crispy and punishing.

I don't think I actually listened to a 2018 metal album that stuck with me other than Nachash's Phantasmal Triunity.

That SDG album got like 2 listens.

Probably missed out on some good stuff, but I just haven't had the drive to discover new metal in so long.

Best 2018 releases for me were Kamome Sano's Pâtisserie kamome, Perfume's Future Pop, & YUC'e's Cinnamon Symphony.

I found Nachash's full length a bit disappointing, at least compared to the excellent EP. Personally a huge fan of Jord and I think it saw Panphage go out on a high note.