GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2018

9) HELLIONS of FIRE by BLACK VIPER

a3156453153_10.jpg

"The leads and singer are very strong, but I'm not sure about these songlengths for these riffs, even if the songs don't seem too repetitive. Solid overall at least though." - @HamburgerBoy

"Great high energy heavy metal is always a winner." - @Krow

"Neck-snapping speed metal from the depths of Norway! Punchy, urgent, vicious, raw, everything I want in heavy metal. Love the slicing melodies, hardly surprising that this slaughters most shit that came out last year since it's the lads from Deathhammer, Obliteration, Nekromantheon, Condor etc." - @CiG

Voted for by:
@CiG (1st place)
@Burkhard (5th place)
@no country for old wainds (6th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 21

8) DEVOURING MORTALITY by SKELETAL REMAINS

a2453203366_10.jpg

"Their best album, and what a fucking album it is." - @CiG

"Honestly not sure what the big deal is with that Skeletal Remains. I found it to be thoroughly mediocre." - @Phylactery

"Yeah man Skeletal Remains kicks all kinds of ass. One of the best modern OSDM bands, personal favorite." - @Baroque

"I listened to this album not too long ago. Good, but doesn't really stand out." - @dwellerINTHEdark

"Morbid Angel for Dummies." - @challenge_everything

"Hell yeah. I really dig this band's modern take on Obituary and the OSDM like. I think I actually enjoyed their previous album more, but it's close." - @Baroque

Voted for by:
@Baroque (1st place)
@-CC- (5th place)
@Atomic Tide (6th place)
@zerostatic (8th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 24

Last edited:
7) CONQUEROR'S OATH by VISIGOTH

a2689188192_10.jpg

"New Visigoth was good I thought. Listened through on the train today, topped the debut for me." - @Einherjar86

"I got to admit. Visigoth is one band I've been trying to listen to, but their songs are typically so long for the amount of quality in them. Everyone seems to love them, and I just.... my ADHD immediately acts up when I put them on." - @Funerary_Doom

Voted for by:
@crimsonfloyd (2nd place)
@Atomic Tide (3rd place)
@EspaDa (5th place)
@zerostatic (7th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 27

Last edited:
5) GHOSTLY WHITE by DECEASED

ghostlywhite.jpg

"Hail Fowley." - @Krow

"I've never been big on this band but everyone I know is saying that this is their best album yet. This fucking rules." - @Master_Yoda77

"Really like this whole album, very cool combination of death metal, thrash metal and traditional metal that comes out sounding very old school and vicious." - @CiG

"This band has been surprisingly consistent over the years. Yeah really dig this, just melodic enough in the guitars to catch my ear and drag it along through the changes, increases momentum.....old school masters creating this imminent feel of being in a nightmare, running from some unknown terror." - @Baroque

Voted for by:
@Krow (1st place)
@Anom@nder Rake (2nd place)
@Dazed and Brutal (5th place)
@challenge_everything (6th place)
@Baroque (7th place)
@HamburgerBoy (8th place)
@TechnicalBarbarity (9th place)
@Burkhard (10th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 40

4) JORD by PANPHAGE

a0984440420_10.jpg

"Just listen to Panphage." - @Slayed Necros

"Yeah Jord is great." - @Krow

"Panphage was fucking excellent. This is right up my alley." - @challenge_everything

"Panphage are great if you love riff heavy mid-90s melodic black metal. They’re not groundbreaking by any means but they’re an utterly faithful and well-executed nod to that style." - @Manic Ferocity

"Panphage is really good, but it seems like such an in-crowd thing to like them. I mean, it's competent but holy shit the praise bestowed... it's too much." - @dwellerINTHEdark

"Personally a huge fan of Jord and I think it saw Panphage go out on a high note." - @Erecshyrinol

Voted for by:
@Anom@nder Rake (1st place)
@Phylactery (2nd place)
@Slayed Necros (2nd place)
@no country for old wainds (4th place)
@Dazed and Brutal (6th place)
@Atomic Tide (7th place)
@challenge_everything (9th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 46

Reactions: Phylactery
=2) THE WAKE by VOÏVOD / CRUEL MAGIC by SATAN

Press_Cover_01.jpg

"Satan > Voivod!" - @Phylactery

"Nuh uh." - @Vegard Pompey

"Yeah, you’re right, it’s more like;
Satan >>> Voivod"
- @Phylactery

hhn.gif - @CiG

Voted for by (Voïvod):
@Atomic Tide (1st place)
@Oblivious Maximus (2nd place)
@Vegard Pompey (2nd place)
@Terasophe (3rd place)
@-CC- (4th place)
@Burkhard (4th place)
@HamburgerBoy (4th place)
@CiG (9th place)

Voted for by (Satan):
@Dazed and Brutal (1st place)
@no country for old wainds (1st place)
@HamburgerBoy (2nd place)
@Vegard Pompey (4th place)
@Krow (5th place)
@Phylactery (5th place)
@Bloopy (6th place)
@challenge_everything (7th place)

TOTAL POINTS TIED: 59

I was kinda surprised, since it seems like nobody has been talking about Firepower very much around here. Couldn't even find much to quotemine.

Has an album ever won without a first place vote? Happy with it winning either way. Very good album.

Somehow beautiful that Satan and Voivod tied, both equally deserving of the spot although I personally like the Voivod better. Disappointed that the hands-down best album of the year (Sacral Rage) didn't even make the list.

Reactions: CiG