4) Gama Bomb - Speed Between the Lines
5) Aborted - Terrorvision
6) Tribulation - Down Below
7) Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath
8) Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality
9) Sleep - The Sciences
10) Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms

Last edited:
I still need to relisten to this new one, but I agree with zerostatic, Slave to the Sword was their peak so far. These last two after it seem like Slave to the Sword sequels, but because of that don't seem quite as fresh/innovative. They're still miles ahead of what most bands are doing. You could put these last 3 albums onto one long triple length album, I'd like to hear something a bit more experimental from them too, as much as I enjoy these

Reactions: zerostatic
this site from RYM user terraasymmetry is a pretty amazing resource for new metal.

Interesting stuff, but seems a bit too ambitious and try-hard. I dont know how you can possibly listen to so many albums while giving them the proper attention.

Not my list (still pending), but here are some albums I liked this year:
Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality
Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms
Outer Heaven - Realms of Eternal Decay
Sleep - The Sciences
Horrendous - Idol
Of Feather and Bone - Bestial Hymns of Perversion
Revocation - The Outer Ones
Sumac - Love in Shadow
Uada - Cult of a Dying Sun
Satan - Cruel Magic

I havent listened to so many things that it looks like would make my list that it barely seems fair. Stuff like Voivod, House of Atreus, Necros Christos, Varathron, Hooded Menace, Portal, and it just seems like the list keeps growing.

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
Haven’t heard of that Of Feather and Bones. Will get on it.

I’ve listened to a lot of releases this year, and far too much of it has been uninspiring dissonant black/death which seems to be the new fad this past few years.

There’s some good stuff on that that website Old Wainds posted, but also a lot of stuff I don’t care for. And he’s definitely overrating the new Obliteration which has got nothing on Black Death Horizon.

Cruel Magic is fucking great. That closing track is huge!

Last edited:
Cruel Magic is fucking great. That closing track is huge!

i don’t really care for that song, in fact the two longest songs being meh is the only disappointing thing about that album for me.

definitely agree with the dissonant black/death comment though, shit is so tiresome.

I bought more albums than I thought this year, it's taking a bit to go through them.