GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2018

Haven’t heard of that Of Feather and Bones Will get on it.

Just beware that they changed their style a bit if you remember their more punk/grind origins, but the album is a monster. New album is straight up filthy death metal and is their best work yet by far.

Their best album, and what a fucking album it is.

Album of the year for me so far. My friend showed me this when we were on the way to a concert earlier this year and im blown away. Old school feel with modern technicality. True masterpiece imo.

Reactions: CiG
1. Doro Pesch – Forever Warriors, Forever United
2. After burner – After burner
3. Ancestor – Lord Of Destiny
4. Powerwolf – The Sacrament Of Sin
5. Trashquatch – Axe To Inherit
6. Alien Weaponry – Tu
7. Fabulous Disaster – Off With Their Heads
8. Gruesome – Twisted Prayers
9. Judas Priest – Firepower
10. Thrashist Regime – Carnival Of Monsters

HMs

Wytch Hazel – Ii Sojoun
Black Label Society – Grimmest Hits
Born Again – True Heavy Nation
Chronosphere – Red n Roll
Darkness – First Class Violence
Elvenstorm – The Conjuring
Exxxekutioner – Death Sentence
Iron Angel – Hellbound
Nervosa – Downfall Of Man Kind
Terrorizer – Caustic Attack

Yeah, I’ve heard that Cist. Vocalist sounds almost exactly like Shuldiner. Neither that or the Skeletal Remains excite me much, though.

This is the first year I’ve made a real effort to try and keep up with. And god damn, it’s fucking exhausting! I’ve listened to about 50 releases from this year.

@Dak have you heard the House of Atreus? Sounds a lot like Arghoslent. I don’t think they are as good, though. But I’ve seen a lot of praise for it in various places.

1. Yob - Our Raw Heart
2. Shining - X - Varg utan flock
3. Judas Priest - Firepower
4. Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins
5. Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath
6. Svartidaudi - Revelations of the Black Sword
7. Orange Goblin - The Wolf Bites Back
8. Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure
9. High on Fire - Electric Messiah
10. Tribulation - Down Below

Honourable mentions:
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
Obscura - Diluvium
Wayfarer - World's Blood
Sleep - The Sciences
Wytch Hazel - II: Sojourn
Funeral Mist - Hekatomb
Chapel of Disease - ...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye
Amorphis - Queen of Time
Clutch - Book of Bad Decisions

dont even want to see the new Behemoth album in anyone's list. garbage

Last edited:
Apparently that was an early release that some people got. It wasn’t officially available until January 2018. Anyway you should listen to it because it rules.

Communion's bandcamp says it was released digitally August 21, 2017.

For whatever thats worth.

IIRC Hells Headbangers also had it right at the end of the year in 2017, like late december even.

I unfortunately cant confirm if it was available before 2018 because I didnt buy it from HHR, looks like mine came from RedStream. (which I cant fucking track any order on) It looks like @Omni had it and their bandcamp wasnt properly updated with the full album until later.

Last edited:
Funeral Mist really? I thought they never recovered from Marantha which I remember not being well received. I don't even like Salvation personally.

This is pretty good stuff and will probably make the bottom half of my list.

Found these on YouTube.

Death metal:

Black metal:

Some of you might find some interesting stuff from them. Rather obscure and underground picks. The Panphage Mysticism might be my favourite from these on a cursory listen.

Be sure to check out the Ancient Spells of Darkness if you've ever wanted to hear A Blaze in the Northern Sky with keyboards. It's filthy, but unfortunately lacks the sheer riffing power and primal energy of A Blaze... for me.

Reactions: CiG
Found these on YouTube.

Death metal:

Good shit. Surprised he chose Boethiah's full length to showcase rather than their EP which I personally thought was much better. The Phrenelith EP from 2018 was immense, so much so I felt the need to make a separate list for 2018 EPs. Other standouts for me in this comp are Lago and Innumerable Forms.

2018 was a death metal year for me.