GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1997

Rapists are worse than:

• Total voters
Really the only saving grace was Raul Julia's portrayal of M.Bison. Poor bloke still managed to do all of his own stunts whilst battling cancer.

JCvD was not a good choice for Guile, who as you mentioned is supposed to be an American GI-Joe type. I guess he gave the film some star-power, if anything.

Reactions: CiG
Very strange. I think everyone pictures Ryu as being the main character of that franchise.

My top 10 films:

10. Cop Land

images.jpg

Freddy is one of Stallone's most atypical roles. Looks out of shape, worn out, he's gentle, passive and doesn't really get the girl. Given those things you have to admit it was a brave role to take, but as a result we see one of his better performances and beyond that we get peak douchebag Keitel. What happens when a smothered conscience reawakens behind the blue wall of silence? Chaos, and ultimately justice.

9. L.A. Confidential

LA-Confidential-Featured.jpg

Another film handling the demystification of Hollywood, and chronicling the lives destroyed by the L.A. allure. I think the strength of this film is the casting first and foremost, and then the way the story slowly and neatly unfolds, but simultaneously snowballs eventually into one of the most chaotic shootouts in cinema history and concludes with a political falsehood just as it started.

Might be my favourite Kevin Spacey role, and I've never been much of a fan of his, but he personified his character perfectly.

8. Young Thugs: Innocent Blood (岸和田少年愚連隊 血煙り純情篇)

Young Thugs Innocent Blood 7.jpg

This is a pretty bizarre film for Miike, because it's quite normal compared to his usual stuff (though it does play out every bit as much like a manga come-to-life as most of his films) but incidentally this allows the film to flourish in the lack of shock value. A teen whose only talent is violence that starts a Yakuza-style protection racket, grows complacent with his doting girlfriend and decides to leave her for another girl who forces him to stop being violent, which of course leads to all those around town he has terrorized in the past kicking his ass and he can't retaliate because of his new commitment. This makes for hilarious and very manga-like situations, and that's the heart of this film, it's quite funny and in some ways reminiscent of what Miike would go on to do with Crows Zero.

7. Gattaca

3451427_orig.jpg

Science fiction sans Hollywood flashiness, instead preferring to drill down directly into philosophical questions regarding eugenics and DNA-based reproductive discrimination. Essentially, the human will vs biological limitation, and which is the more powerful force. It works wonderfully as a think-piece, but also thrives in its use of silence and cinematographic symmetry. In many ways a technocratic hellscape, but also as prescient a film as any other science fiction film considering what we can now achieve with our ability to manipulate DNA and pick and chose how and what we give birth to.

6. Gummo

gummo-bathtub-scene-1108x0-c-default.jpg

Harmony Korine's rebuttal to the Disney-fied children's adventure film. In the reality of a natural disaster, in the context of a lower socioeconomic area, why wouldn't a childrens' dream be riddled with racism, animal abuse, fighting, drugs, vandalism, prostitution, petty urban terrorism and heavy metal? Post-apocalyptic midwestern boredom turns hick children into the creatures the suburban children on the nicer side of the tracks have nightmares about.

5. Donnie Brasco

donniebrasco2.jpg

A young Johnny Depp in his prime teaming up with an aging Al Pacino on a detective/mob film which is at its core about the tragedy of the useful idiot. A man who is such a true believer in the organization that even when he's asked to meet his colleagues somewhere, and he knows they're going to kill him because he's been the one on the other side himself in the past, he still shows up anyway. Lefty is the self-conscious machine cog.

4. Lost Highway

1 LQlFsnvdascktZBY0jUI9w.jpeg

I've only watched this once and I'm kinda scared to watch it again, haha. It feels like a nightmare that you can't seem to forget, nor completely remember. It's a series of bleak images imprinted on my brain that feels both horrifying and also beautiful. Features what is probably Lynch's more subversive casting choice; Gary Busey as a decent middle class suburbanite father who loves and supports his son and wife...

3. City of Industry

0094972001485164526.jpg

Potentially the ultimate double-cross revenge film, and unlike many revenge films City of Industry gets the tragedy out of the way rather quickly and leaves the director a good amount of time to relax into the revenge persona and forces the viewer to stew in such a vitriolic feeling for a long time alongside Keitel. Harvey could have very easily turned down films like this, or Bad Lieutenant, and went on to bigger and more Hollywood projects but instead he chose to slum it out with people creating real gritty art and I love him for it. He slides into this role perfectly and much like Takeshi Kitano, doesn't have to say a lot or fill the film with endless dialogue, he simply commands every scene with his presence and puts across a depth of wisdom and an endless well of violence to draw from when he needs to.

2. Starship Troopers

fhd997SPT_Denise_Richards_010.jpg

What happens when you take a bunch of kids that are quintessential American teen drama stereotypes and throw them into a galactic war? The annihilation of innocence and idealism. Much like Lynch's penchant for showing us the dark undergrowth that squirms and wriggles beneath the houses with the white picket fences, Starship Troopers takes what wriggles and squirms beneath the suburban home and launches them at our planet with apocalyptic results, and then demands that the kids of suburbia, so perfect with their jawlines and bouncy hairdos, go to war in response.

In many ways yes this is just a science fiction action blockbuster that misunderstood the source material and took it in a very different direction, but at the same time it is perfect material for Verhoeven to flex his muscle as a director and give people like myself who grew up playing games like Command and Conquer, StarCraft and Warhammer 40k a film on a scale as epic as our favourite games, and just as relentlessly violent. Something the Star Wars films always seemed to fall short of.

I think one of the main things Starship Troopers nails is the feeling that war heroes, especially on a galactic scale, are utterly insignificant and expendable in the grand scheme of things.

1. Hana-bi (Fireworks)

hana-bi.jpg

Takeshi Kitano at his most subtle and charming. Though still as violent and stylistic as ever, there's more to the film than stylism itself. Hana-bi actually has a heart and it's quite tender, the violence unlike his previous films actually has a point that is higher than simple machismo. A slice-of-life film about the final days of a man trying to give his dying wife the best last week of her life.

I have always especially loved the way the film's plot comes to life, much like a painting, with its disjointed images and pieces that make little sense in isolation, but as the picture fills out more and more a scene of beautiful, vivid fireworks reveals itself in full colour, and then leaves an afterimage that slowly melts away like Nishi's sins in the final scene. Masterpiece.

Last edited:
The film festival date thing is gonna grate my nuts if I keep looking at it. I'm planning to list The Spanish Prisoner, Cube, and Henry Fool, and they all face the conundrum. We could browse RYM or IMDB for '96 as well to catch any films we've seen that didn't get a non-festival screening until '97. Or just not give a fuck until it actually affects a film that you're likely to list, eg. '93 vs '94 for Bad Boy Bubby. :cool:

I went back and checked all the films I used for other years. There were 2 that slipped through vs the 1 I questioned and then did a CiG on, so I've already failed to be consistent.

What exactly is "a CIG" lmao?

But yeah this festival date shit really bothers me.

Edit: motherfucker, just checked and Orgazmo is only a 1997 film via festival dates...

I meant the one in 1990 I kept in even though it got a festival screening the year before. Someone on RYM compared film festivals to music getting its release at a one-off release concert, while the majority of fans may have to wait weeks/months to get their hands on it. Kinda makes sense, and far easier to just agree with what turns up in an IMDB search by year so...

1. The Spanish Prisoner
2. Lost Highway
3. Con Air
4. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
5. Jackie Brown
6. Cube
7. The Man Who Knew Too Little
8. Henry Fool
9. Titanic
10. Gattaca

HM to Gummo which I saw recently.

This is a pretty bizarre film for Miike, because it's quite normal compared to his usual stuff (though it does play out every bit as much like a manga come-to-life as most of his films) but incidentally this allows the film to flourish in the lack of shock value.
The crazy thing with Miike is that he's done so much, eventually the more subdued films and the out there stuff begin to feel more related. He's like a Japanese Jess Franco in a way. When you work that much it's a given that themes are going to overlap, even when he had no hand in the writing, so two films that might seem worlds apart start to feel much more than journeyman work for hire stuff. There's a really good book on Miike called Agitator that came out in 2004 that covers his career up until then. Some of the super early stuff is still unavailable outside of Japan.

Reactions: CiG
perfect material for Verhoeven to flex his muscle as a director and give people like myself who grew up playing games like Command and Conquer, StarCraft and Warhammer 40k a film on a scale as epic as our favourite games, and just as relentlessly violent. Something the Star Wars films always seemed to fall short of.

I think one of the main things Starship Troopers nails is the feeling that war heroes, especially on a galactic scale, are utterly insignificant and expendable in the grand scheme of things.
Well said!

the director has since become a cult figure with all these weirdos hailing the resident evil movies and pompeii etc as misunderstood masterpieces.

Resident Evil a misunderstood masterpiece? I've been meaning to rewatch the Resident Evil films, I'd like to see how that kind of view holds up. :lol:

Edit: Anderson is supposed to be directing a live action adaption of Monster Hunter.

Just realized I neglected to show my love for films like Perdita Durango, Orgazmo and Private Parts. Perdita being a worthy cousin to the masters Wild at Heart (1990), Orgazmo a brilliant pre-South Park showing for Parker and Stone who are still unparalleled in the realm of ballsy satire and Private Parts is Stern being Stern. Self-aggrandizing, juvenile, vulgar and all the while hilarious and most importantly, entirely relatable which is why he's amassed the following he has. Culturally relevant especially considering Stern absolutely was a free-speech warrior in 1997 while still confined to terrestrial radio.

Austin Powers will always be a comedy favorite and remains the best of the series.