GMD SONG SURVIVOR: Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

OK, I've been giving this album a number of listens and honestly, not many songs are leaving an impression. I'm gonna give it a few more listens, based on the fact it is so acclaimed, but I'm really having trouble wrapping my mind around how so many people consider this the greatest death metal record of all time.

I'd put Damnation in the upper half, I like how it's a little more mid tempo and has a nice groove ala Pestilence's Out of the Body or Coroner's Semtex Revolution.

Lord of all Fevers & Plague (generic speed/thrash) and Bleed for the Devil (one of the heaviest/most br00tal songs but a little too monotonous for me) are my picks for weakest.

Yeah, but it's been included in just about every release of AoM. I'm almost sure my CD copy from 94 has it on there.

edit: ..... aaaaand i was wrong, track is not on there. I thought the original LP was the only version that didn't include that track ... i know the original CD from 89 definitely had that track on there.

It wasn't on the original LP or cassette, but it was included on the original CD along with remixes of chapel, blasphemy and damnation. This was because CDs were new and expensive at the time and so record companies had a habit of padding out the tracklisting on CD releases to make them more appealing. I'm sure I read somewhere that the decision to only put Lord on the CD version was made by Digby from Earache, but that might be something my brain made up...

OK, I've been giving this album a number of listens and honestly, not many songs are leaving an impression. I'm gonna give it a few more listens, based on the fact it is so acclaimed, but I'm really having trouble wrapping my mind around how so many people consider this the greatest death metal record of all time.

Pretty much this. I've never liked Alters of Madness. Just listen to Covenant, Formulas, and Gateways.

It wasn't on the original LP or cassette, but it was included on the original CD along with remixes of chapel, blasphemy and damnation. This was because CDs were new and expensive at the time and so record companies had a habit of padding out the tracklisting on CD releases to make them more appealing. I'm sure I read somewhere that the decision to only put Lord on the CD version was made by Digby from Earache, but that might be something my brain made up...

Or was it maybe it was an original track but they had to cut it out of the LP and cassette version because it didn't fit? That was the case with a lot of the albums from back then too.

Bleed for the devil is probably the weakest track on the original section of the album. Surprised for the lack of love towards Damnation-I like that track.
I am also voting for lord of all fevers. Not a bad track at all, but I grew up listening to the album without the track and hearing it with that album is strange.

sorry for the delay yall. i'm going for 'bleed for the devil' and 'evil spells'.

Round 1 Result
'bleed for the devil' and 'damnation' are gone after being chosen by 50% of voters. great close round though!

Round 2 Tracklist
1) Immortal Rites
2) Suffocation
3) Visions From the Dark Side
4) Maze of Torment
5) Chapel of Ghouls
8) Blasphemy
9) Evil Spells
10) Lord of All Fevers and Plague

vote for the TWO weakest links!

Lord of all fevers is the easy one.

After that is painful because all of the other tracks are classics. Based on what song is playing in my head the least, I would go with maze of torment. Awesome track though